Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

GOETZ: Opus 543 Schopenhauer

K-543 ARTHUR SCHOPENHAUER, 1938, Cast AE, 105mm, R, Choice UNC.

To commemorate the 150th year anniversary of his birth, 1788-1938. German philosopher.

Comments

• Options
    Kewl - why's that naked guy getting ready to spank his Sphynx? image
  • Options
    bosoxbosox Posts: 1,510 ✭✭✭✭
    Cacheman,

These are wonderful and very interesting medals. Keep posting 'em. Just out of curiosity, how many do you have?

Rob
    Numismatic author & owner of the Uncommon Cents collections. 2011 Fred Bowman award winner, 2020 J. Douglas Ferguson award winner, & 2022 Paul Fiocca award winner.

http://www.victoriancent.com
  • Options
    I would like to know the story of the reverse - interesting combination!!
    Shep
  • Options
    <<spank his Sphynx?>>

Bill

09/07/2006
  • Options
    AskariAskari Posts: 3,713
    Now this is a rare one indeed. I've wondered whether this was just a commissioned piece or whether he was himself drawn to Schopenhauer's philosophy. In college, I found Schopenhauer to be the one philosopher who came closest to my own perspective. In fact, he comes the closest of any philosopher I have been familiar with to developing a philosophy capable of forming a morality, something which normally lies in the realm of religion. However, he comes up short in a few areas, which results in his inability to proffer a truly universal and practical one for anybody not able to deeply immerse himself in philosophy, metaphysics and asceticism and without the need to attend to the day-to-day. His corpus is a magisterial work at atheistically imitating Christianity and Hinduism, though.

I know I found a personal "antidote" to his pessimistic worldview, but after 30 years, I don remember enough of his writings to even recall what my further construction plainly was (other than that it returned God to the picture). I think a key problem to many of these metaphysical philosophies' is their tendency to resort to Platonism (or Neo-Platonism). This paganist philosophy has an inherent tendency to drive the "answer" to asceticism (and indeed had just such an effect on early Christianity in the Greco-Roman world). Moreover, that leads also to a sort of dualism in many cases, a problem that keeps cropping up to haunt and taunt true Christianity in nearly every generation. Still, exposure to Schopenhauer and to the existentialist philosophers is a great means for shaking out what you really believe and for developing a more consistent framework for your worldview than the mishmash of received pieces of "wisdom" we tend to "accumulate" uncritically in our youth.
    Askari

Come on over ... to The Dark Side! image
  • Options
    cachemancacheman Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭
    "Cacheman,

These are wonderful and very interesting medals. Keep posting 'em. Just out of curiosity, how many do you have?

Rob"

To date I believe I have, with patterns, about 190 Goetz pieces. I've been collecting Goetz for 17 months now and as I acquire them I image them and post them here....
  • Options
    1jester1jester Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭
    Good synopsis, Askari!

Another nice medal, Cacheman. I didn't realize you had so many. Keep up the outstanding work.

imageimageimage
    .....GOD

"Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you." -Luke 11:9

"Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God is one LORD: And thou shalt love the LORD thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might." -Deut. 6:4-5

"For the LORD is our judge, the LORD is our lawgiver, the LORD is our king; He will save us." -Isaiah 33:22
  • Options
    Steve27Steve27 Posts: 13,274 ✭✭✭
    " why's that naked guy getting ready to spank his Sphynx?"

ROFL, but another nice one!
    "It's far easier to fight for principles, than to live up to them." Adlai Stevenson