Home U.S. Coin Forum

1880 Hot 50 VAM 39A Clashed E reverse

I've been waiting all week for this one to arrive at my doorstep. This is my latest cherry pick off of eBay and I'm quite tickled. image

The coin grades a solid AU, I would say AU53-55, although the seller had XF marked on it. Patience and perserverence does pay off.

Jeff

I had to tilt the coin for the above image so the partial 'E' would show up.

I seem to have this issue where the left side of the image is in focus but the right side is out of focus. Someone told me that's a side effect of the curved camera lens working against the curved microscope lens. But you all should get the idea.
Jeff

Semper ubi sub ubi

Comments

• DennisHDennisH Posts: 13,963 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tough, tough coin... and valuable. Congratulations on the find!
    When in doubt, don't.
  • nice find!!image

I'll have to look at my 1880s, mayby I'll luck out.

Herb
    Remember it's not how you pick your nose that matters, it's where you put the boogers.
    imageimageimage
  • TommyTypeTommyType Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Anybody know what date this clashing is most sought after in? I have an 1884 (VAM-2A), but haven't a clue if anyone else in the world cares. image
    Easily distracted Type Collector
  • Thanks for the congrats! I've bought a few duds off of eBay and this is only the second time I've gotten lucky in acquiring this VAM. Fortunately the duds were low dollar purchases. The other one I have is an AU55.

Herb, if any of your 1880 Morgans have that die break across the bow, give them a real close look under strong light.

TommyType, I would say the 1887 clashed E reverse is the most sought after clashed E coin, followed by this one and the 'faint' 1891-O & 'faint' 1889-O clashed E coins. Probably the most common ones I've seen are the 1886-O, 1891-O, 1878 (v84) and the 1884 v2A.

Jeff
    Jeff

Semper ubi sub ubi
  • Wow, great find! Do you know anyone with an 1887 Clashed E? Jeff Oxman has the only one I know of.

Rob
    Rob Joyce - Dollar Variety / VAM Collector
    http://www.vamworld.com
    and
    http://www.rjrc.com
  • Wolf359Wolf359 Posts: 7,653 ✭✭✭
    Nice one! Only about 25 known to exist. I grabbed one off eBay earlier this year as well. Have another in ANACS AU58.

Yeah, I want that 87 clashed E too!
  • Rob, I don't know of anyone personally that has one and, as you probably know, the Hot 50 book only list four known examples. Believe me, I look at every 1887 I get a chance to and nothing yet.

Jack, I didn't realize the population for the 1880 clashed E was that low. If that's the case, I have two of them now (a whopping 8% of the population).image I'm sure a lot of them have gone unattributed. I have another in my dud box that I would be willing to bet was a v39A but it has a bag mark strategically located right where the 'E' would be.image

Jeff
    Jeff

Semper ubi sub ubi
  • RampageRampage Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭✭
    ttt
  • What a great find! I've been looking for clashed E's since I heard the term VAM. Congrats!
  • anablepanablep Posts: 5,022 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good work!! You've got good eyes to notice it from an ebay auction.
    Always looking for attractive rim toned Morgan and Peace dollars in PCGS or (older) ANA/ANACS holders!

"Bongo hurtles along the rain soaked highway of life on underinflated bald retread tires."

~Wayne
  • coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,719 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have yet to see one personally... the 89-O E reverse is very tough.

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• RVDavisRVDavis Posts: 1,137
    OK all of you VAM fiends, I stumbled across two 1880 O O/S today and I need some help identifying. I know one is VAM 5, can't tell which die state. On the other it is a 3 or 4, again don't know die state. I would appreciate help with these two. Can't believe I found them at a flea market. Gotta love this hobby.

Rick
    Proud recipient of YOU SUCK more than once and less than 100 times.
  • RVDavisRVDavis Posts: 1,137
    OOPS big mistake, 1882 O/S. not 1880. Didn't mean to give anyone a heart attack.
    Proud recipient of YOU SUCK more than once and less than 100 times.
  • jdsinvajdsinva Posts: 1,508
    This was the one of the ones I just got back from ANACS grade AU58.

Jeff
    Jeff

Semper ubi sub ubi

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file