Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Bust Half Question. Bearded Goddess Variety ??

FairlanemanFairlaneman Posts: 10,408 ✭✭✭✭✭
What is a Bearded Bust Half ? I understand it is a very rare variety that is seldom seen. Can anyone show a picture of this coin and maybe put a value on a example that is XF40 and slabbed ?

Thanks Much.

Ken

Comments

• Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,737 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You may be thinking of the Bearded Goddess. This is an 1807 CBH O.111b and, by the designation, is a late die state for the O.111. I don't have an image handy, but the coin has a strong crack from Ms Liberty's chin to the top of her breast that reminds one of a beard. It is very difficult to find this variety in a high state of preservation and attractive.
    Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options
    Thanks Tom.

I believe the coin you described is the one a dealer and I talked about today. He was under the impression that about 100 of these are known. Would this be correct ? He does own this coin and it was first in a PCGS slab and the sent to NGC and got the same XF40 grade. The attribution from both PCGS and NGC were the same. It seems like there is no recent price history for the coin though.

Ken
  • Options
    The bearded goddess (1807 Turban Head Half Dollar - Overton 111b) is a rarity 5 coin meaning there are an estimated 31 to 80 still in existence.

One sold in the Heritage sale at the Fun-Orlando show in January for $6,038 in an NGC XF40 holder.

A couple of XF45 coins sold in 6/2003 ($5,426) Downey #28 sale and 7/2003 (PCGS-$4,600) B&M ANA-Baltimore.

Alpine sold a PCGS VF25 for $1,795 in October, 2003.

You can see the Heritage Orlando coin in Heritage's auction archives, lot #6570

• Options
    Here is a photo from Sheridan Downey's web site, the coin is far rarer without the crack (you can count on one hand the number currently known) www.sheridanscoins.com

• Options
    I have a Email into my dealer buddy and will see if he can get me a scan of his coin. This guy does not get real excited about a coin very often but he sure was about this one. If he sends a scan I will put it up here.

Thanks for the information and picture. The one that Hertage auctioned at FUN last year sure looks good for a XF40.

Ken
  • Options
    stmanstman Posts: 11,352 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here is my exampleimage

Please... Save The Stories, Just Answer My Questions, And Tell Me How Much!!!!!
  • Options
    OKbustchaserOKbustchaser Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The true bearded goddess is the O-111 "b" only...This is the R-5 die state distinuished by the die break extending all the way accross Liberty to the upper rim. The "a" die state has the break only extending from breast to jawline to eye and is only an R-4...somewhere between 80 and 200 known. The "prime" die state--no die break at all is also an R-5. (slightly higher than the "b")

Looking at Stman's it appears to be the "a" version.

Jim
    Just because I'm old doesn't mean I don't love to look at a pretty bust.
  • Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    THis variety is an example of a catchy name in addition to a well-placed break adding to the coin's popularity... akin to the "speared bison" or "pising minuteman" varieties...

much more popular and fun to talk about a die break or gouge that adds interest to the coin rather than one that simply spans some random letters or design elements.

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file