Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

PCGS scores a beauty for their 10 millionth coin!

ARCOARCO Posts: 4,313 ✭✭✭✭✭
Wow! The luck of PCGS. Just amazing really. I heard that all the graders were gathered in one room waiting to see the provident jewel that would be forever enshrined ceremoniously as the 10 millionth coin. I also heard that the graders were working a batch of two dozen or so proof 1958-60 Franklin halves and were really expecting the milestone coin to be nothing more than a mere Proof 65-66 Franklin half. As the graders worked through the coins and the 10 millionth arrived, the place went silent. With the sheer luck of the draw this beautiful, gold 1844 Half Eagle was sitting there in its little Myler flip awaiting a final grade, just kind of half tucked under the big Franklin submission.

Whew! PCGS dodged a real bullet and got lucky this time. I wonder how PCGS could ever hope for such luck on the 15th millionth coin graded? image

1844 Gold

Comments

• Options
    Dave99BDave99B Posts: 8,364 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Life is weird sometimes..

Dave
    Always looking for original, better date VF20-VF35 Barber quarters and halves, and a quality beer.
  • Options
    WeissWeiss Posts: 9,935 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd crack it. Think it will cross?
    We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
    --Severian the Lame
  • Options
    OK, I don't get it. Is that what that number means?

I just recieved my lasted submission today and the numbers were 21749298

I'm confused(as always)
    Tom
  • Options
    Dave99BDave99B Posts: 8,364 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I was pulling for a VG 1916-D Barber quarter.

Dave
    Always looking for original, better date VF20-VF35 Barber quarters and halves, and a quality beer.
  • Options
    airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 21,910 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I was pulling for a VG 1916-D Barber quarter.

Dave >>

Nah... 2003 cent... MS66RD image
    JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • Options
    tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,147 ✭✭✭✭✭
    NGC got a 1913 Liberty Head nickel ... imagine the luck involved there! image
  • Options
    Well, if MadMarty ends up with 9,999,999 and 10,000,001 he should complain!!
  • Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah, what great luck. At every million coin milestone, a classic rarity or classic condition rarity just "happens" to show up. image

roadrunner
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • Options
    braddickbraddick Posts: 23,128 ✭✭✭✭✭
    So what are the chances a coin like this one will ever be the XX Millionth coin graded?! image

peacockcoins

• Options
    I also have some fresh PCGS coins that start 21,7xx,xxx what's up with that?
  • Options
    If you had an undergraded coin and it was 10 millionth, would you crack it?
    Yesterday is a cancelled check. Tomorrow is a promissory note. Today is cash.
  • Options
    TootawlTootawl Posts: 5,877 ✭✭✭
    This point has been brought up before nut has anyone noticed that all the coins that hit abig number have always been big money coins? Makes you wanna go Hmmmmmm?image
    PCGS Currency: HOF 2013, Best Low Ball Set 2009-2014, 2016, 2018. Appreciation Award 2015, Best Showcase 2018, Numerous others.
  • Options
    LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,294 ✭✭✭✭✭
    NGC got a 1913 Liberty Head nickel ... imagine the luck involved there!

"My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • Options
    0882208822 Posts: 57
    I am afraid we will all be dead before any grading service grades their 10 millionth note.
  • Options
    YaHaYaHa Posts: 4,220

<< <i>This point has been brought up before nut has anyone noticed that all the coins that hit abig number have always been big money coins? Makes you wanna go Hmmmmmm?image >>

I smell some bottom feeding Bluefish 10 miles out from Point Lookout Md.. Maybe those at PCGS should play the freaking lottery with those great pulls..

OBTW: Great Press that's all I will have to say about that one..image
  • Options
    OchoRealesOchoReales Posts: 1,500
    Unbelievable! Really!!! image

Who want's to buy a bridge?

Gary
    Lurker since '02. Got the seven year itch!

Gary
  • Options
    coinlieutenantcoinlieutenant Posts: 9,305 ✭✭✭✭✭
    lol....I like the dealer statements. "Substantial amount of money" "split the difference".

Dealer is happy. image
  • Options

<< <i>Yeah, what great luck. At every million coin milestone, a classic rarity or classic condition rarity just "happens" to show up. image

roadrunner >>

LOL.

Can one of the graders at PCGS please call and give me the 6 winning lotto numbers for tonights mega millions. image
  • Options
    MisterBungleMisterBungle Posts: 2,308 ✭✭✭

You would think that they would have at least
    given it a free TrueView image.

~

"America suffers today from too much pluribus and not enough unum.".....Arthur Schlesinger Jr.

• Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,564 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>This point has been brought up before nut has anyone noticed that all the coins that hit abig number have always been big money coins? Makes you wanna go Hmmmmmm?image >>

Guess they held back the 1964-D Peace Dollar for a rounder number.........
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,851 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I thought I was doing good getting the 395,841,043,924th hamburger and Mickey Dee's
  • Options
    dohdoh Posts: 6,457 ✭✭✭
    I hope the OP is being sarcastic. It's quite obvious that PCGS picks a coin for each "millionth" landmark.
    Positive BST transactions with: too many names to list! 36 at last count.
  • Options
    19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,475 ✭✭✭✭
    This is a dredged up thread from November of 2004 folks!
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    Billet7Billet7 Posts: 4,923 ✭✭✭
    Does anyone know what the coin sold for, if it did ultimately sell?
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,444 ✭✭✭✭✭
    When did NGC slab their 10 millionth coin? Anyone know?

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,147 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>When did NGC slab their 10 millionth coin? Anyone know? >>

Musta been around 2004 since I think that's when I sold the 1913

Edited to add: yup - news release was 4/1/2004. News Release
  • Options

<< <i>

Edited to add: yup - news release was 4/1/2004. News Release >>

Based on this, I guess we can assume that NGC has slabbed a lot more coins than PCGS. I always thought that PCGS was the larger company.

• Options
    HTubbsHTubbs Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭

<< <i>NGC got a 1913 Liberty Head nickel ... imagine the luck involved there! image >>

I betcha that was fixed!
  • Options

<< <i>This is a dredged up thread from November of 2004 folks! >>

yes, and in another 5 years we'll dredge it up again!
  • Options
    MisterBungleMisterBungle Posts: 2,308 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>NGC got a 1913 Liberty Head nickel ... imagine the luck involved there! image >>

I betcha that was fixed! >>

-----

Ya think?!?

~

"America suffers today from too much pluribus and not enough unum.".....Arthur Schlesinger Jr.

• Options
    Aegis3Aegis3 Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Does anyone know what the coin sold for, if it did ultimately sell? >>

It sold in Stack's May 2005 sale, lot 1692, for $50,025. Though I should note, at the time, Stack's did not report coins which failed to meet reserve.
    --

Ed. S.

(EJS)
  • Options
    BECOKABECOKA Posts: 16,957 ✭✭✭
    I think it was rigged. They sniped the 10 mil number and gave it to the first real coin. image
  • Options
    Halfhunter06Halfhunter06 Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭
    i dont understand the numbering system, i just checked my coins and many have numbers beyond 10 million, can anyone clear this up?
  • Options
    Did they take more than 7 seconds grading it?
  • Options
    BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭

imageimage

1844 Gem Brilliant Uncirculated. Essentially immaculate, boasting the richest frosty lustre that the...1844 Gem Brilliant Uncirculated. Essentially immaculate, boasting the richest frosty lustre that the most quality-conscious collector might demand. This coin's strike is exceptionally sharp and full, resulting in needle-sharp detail. A wealth of yellow-gold drenches both sides, and diligent search under magnification reveals four minute coppery spots. Akers noted ''AU or Uncirculated examples are surprisingly rare.'' The more recent publication of the 10-year auction record compiled by Dannreuther and Garrett confirms Akers' earlier finding, listing 22 appearances of this date, none equal to the present Gem, and none in higher grade. In fact, this is the finest coin certified by PCGS and is the only specimen of this No Motto date graded at this level, with none graded higher than MS63 by NGC. Adding to this fascinating coin's appeal is its status as the 10 millionth coin graded by the Professional Coin Grading Service (PCGS). This is certainly a coin boasting a many-faceted appeal! Hammer Price: $43,500.00
    To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • Options
    Halfhunter06Halfhunter06 Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭
    to be honest, those spots put it in the low ms 65 catagory
  • Options

<< <i>to be honest, those spots put it in the low ms 65 catagory >>

No CAC sticker!!!image

• Options
    YaHaYaHa Posts: 4,220

<< <i>

<< <i>

Edited to add: yup - news release was 4/1/2004. News Release >>

Based on this, I guess we can assume that NGC has slabbed a lot more coins than PCGS. I always thought that PCGS was the larger company. >>

Yes they are Perry. I think their building is 15,000 sqft, compared to NGC's smallest Trailer camper at 9,200sqft.image Also, I heard their freaking heads were larger also, the reason for this is, they are verified by the ANA, and the Nusimatic Guild...image
  • Options
    jessewvujessewvu Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I wonder how much of this story is true.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file