Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Indians or Lincolns?

Which of the two have better potential to grow in value? Should I trade my prized Lincoln collection for Indian cents? I like the Lincolns but my iterest is more toward Indians now. Advice?

Comments

• Options
    coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 10,771 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Go with your gut.

Chris
    My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • Options
    mozeppamozeppa Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭

• Options
    image Unless you got a 1804 proof dollar. image
  • Options
    ldhairldhair Posts: 7,124 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Half and halfimage
    Larry

• Options
    on one hand, I like Indians better.

On the other hand, she wore a glove.

no wait

on the other hand, Lincolns will be a 100 year series in five more years, seems like there's gotta be something in that.
    "I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather did, as opposed to screaming in terror like his passengers."
  • Options
    haletjhaletj Posts: 2,192
    I wanted to collect Indian Cents originally, but I thought it would be silly to have all cents 1856-1909 and not have the newer ones 1909-2004. And I became I Lincoln guy!

• Options
    LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,294 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Since I'm selling my Indians, that is what I recommend....image
    "My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • Options
    LincolnCentManLincolnCentMan Posts: 5,347 ✭✭✭✭
    I'd say top and near top pop Lincolns are greatly inflated right now. Even so, there's plenty of up and coming demand out there. I see the top Lincolns growing over the next few years. And with the nearing of the 100th year of the Lincoln cent, there is good potential that they will show growth over the next decade. However, predicting the next ten years of coin market is like trying to predict the next ten years in the stock market. It could all come to an end in the next six month... although it would shock most if it did. Bottom line, go with your gut, as Chris said.

David

P.S. I dont know the indian cent market as well, so I dont feel qualified to render an opinion there.
  • Options
    CladiatorCladiator Posts: 17,920 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Since I'm selling my Indians, that is what I recommend.... >>

• Options
    michaelmichael Posts: 9,524 ✭✭
    i like both series

if it was me and someone asked me my opinion i would tell them this

go get a neat set of 1909 lincolns a gem matte proof red 1909 lincoln cent pcgs
    a superb gem full red business strike 1909 and 1909 vdb pcgs/ngc

if you can afford it but not necessary 1909 vdb matte proof gem red pcgs

i would also collect a choice/gem ms/proof cameo set or as many as you can afford of copper nickel indian cents pcgs/ngc

also choice/gem set as many dates as you can proof brown/red brown colored indian head cents

this would be a great fantastic start of super coins good values and maybe some really great potential

michael
  • Options
    IrishMikeIrishMike Posts: 7,738 ✭✭✭
    You didn't give out enough information for any reasonable advice. You say prized lincoln collection, I am not sure what that means. Do you mean you prize it because of sentimental value,i.e. time spent collecting them or are they high grade and rare and thus valuable. As a general rule the rarer the coin the more upside potential it has with the caveat you can easily overspend for any coin. No one really knows if the coin market will continue upwards in pricing for these coins, plateau or have a downward movement. If the number of collectors continues to grow then there will continue to be upward pressure on both series. If you collect middle of the road coins, 63-65's then you will have to live to a ripe old age to hit a home run investment wise on either series. The real money in both series is made or lost by a few at the top.

Having said that, there is no way to predict what those at the top will do. If you spend any amount of appreciable time here you will see that they like others have their interest wane on what they collect. It's interesting to see the fervor at which the top coins are collected, a set finished and then sold off. I don't see any measurable amount of new coins being made in the IHC series or pre-1958 Lincolns. I am not sure if memorial cents at this point are as collectable as IHC and wheaties, but that may change. In the final analysis collect what you enjoy, can comfortably afford and if you make money be happy.image
  • Options
    droopyddroopyd Posts: 5,381 ✭✭✭

I think in the medium to long term there's going to be greater continued interest in Lincolns

Me at the Springfield coin show:
    60 years into this hobby and I'm still working on my Lincoln set!
  • Options
    DeplorableDanDeplorableDan Posts: 2,562 ✭✭✭✭✭

@droopyd said:
    I think in the medium to long term there's going to be greater continued interest in Lincolns

This thread is almost 20 years old…..but I guess we can compare and see who was right lol

• Options
    oldabeintxoldabeintx Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭✭✭

And here I was going to respond with some advice. These old threads should be color-coded or something.

• Options
    lermishlermish Posts: 1,955 ✭✭✭✭✭

@droopyd said:

Welcome back, first posts today in 7 years!

• Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,821 ✭✭✭✭✭

Indians.

• Options
    dhikewhitneydhikewhitney Posts: 364 ✭✭✭

I like the Indians more aesthetically and historically.

Neither; not gold or silver, small coins, not used as much in daily commerce.

Collect what is fun for you; it’s a hobby, not an investment (for all but a few).

• Options
    WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 8,976 ✭✭✭✭✭

Go with your gut. I think Lincolns have better investment potential but Indians are more historically and aesthetically pleasing.

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947)

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

• Options
    dsessomdsessom Posts: 2,212 ✭✭✭✭✭

The OP hasn't even logged in to these forums since 2007! LOL

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file