Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Whats it worth? I was thinking of buying it but ...

It closed at $2075 ......should i have or was i right in letting it go? Its a 1854-O $3 gold piece
Check out my Coins at policecollection.com
The link to Coins is at the bottom of the page

Comments

• Options
    lavalava Posts: 3,286 ✭✭✭
    I know nothing about the coin, but if it was raw, and you passed on it, you did good.
    I brake for ear bars.
  • Options
    Looks pretty ugly to me.
  • Options
    relayerrelayer Posts: 10,570
    My posts viewed image times
    since 8/1/6
  • Options
    I was thinking with only 24k minted that is was a good deal
  • Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,998 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looks like a 45+ to me, at least by today's standards. As far as I can tell from the image, there's nothing to indicate bodybag potential.
    Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options
    Well the two 45's that heritage sold this year went for over 4k ...so i guess it would have been a good deal. but then again it depends on the grade
  • Options
    TUMUSSTUMUSS Posts: 2,207

<< <i>Looks like a 45+ to me, at least by today's standards. As far as I can tell from the image, there's nothing to indicate bodybag potential. >>

Looks kinda like cleaning hairlines on the right sides of both the obv and rev. Or am I seeing lines again??image
  • Options
    ScarsdaleCoinScarsdaleCoin Posts: 5,196 ✭✭✭✭✭
    if you had bid more it might have just kept climbing....always another coin out there....image
    Jon Lerner - Scarsdale Coin - www.CoinHelp.com
  • Options
    GooberGoober Posts: 980 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Looks like a 45+ to me, at least by today's standards. As far as I can tell from the image, there's nothing to indicate bodybag potential. >>

Looks kinda like cleaning hairlines on the right sides of both the obv and rev. Or am I seeing lines again??image >>

Not unless you're wearing my glasses. Looks like this coin took alot of hits and someone tried to rub some out.
    Prost!

Why step over the dollar to get to the cent? Because it's a 55DDO.
  • Options
    rheddenrhedden Posts: 6,621 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cleaned; and definitely bodybagged already. Not bidding on this risky item was a great idea. Tempting, much like a lot of other very dangerous things in life.

Think about it. It's a $2,000 + numismatic item, a better date $3 gold piece. Very desirable. $2000 is serious money to many people. Do you think that the previous owner really did not bother to get it slabbed when they could have gotten much more for it in the auction in a PCGS or ANACS holder? Come on, it's been sent in at least once and was bodybagged or returned as not genuine. If you have that kind of money in your pockets, protect it by purchasing certified material.

There are more fake $3 gold pieces out there than any other gold denomination. Probably 25% or more of the raw $3 gold coins seen by dealers are fake, whether they realize it or not. Some copies are extremely deceptive. Even major dealers who advertise in Coin World have been known to sell fake BU gold coins on occasion. Very dangerous type. Buy certified only, or risk losing your money.
  • Options
    ReeceReece Posts: 378 ✭✭✭
    agree with rhedden cleaned-sure it was submitted and rejected on that date, do not buy unslabbed coins EVER.image
    RWK
  • Options
    So from the looks of things it was not worth the price. Thanks for the replies

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file