Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Finally completed Barber Quarter collection

Well, it has been a long time coming, but I just had to complete my Barber Quarter collection. I bit the bullet on this little puppy. I was about all I could afford, but it will fit in nice. That's the last one... for that album.

Comments

• Options
    coinlieutenantcoinlieutenant Posts: 9,305 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Congrats!!
  • Options
    CoinosaurusCoinosaurus Posts: 9,614 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Congrats. No need to apologize for ANY 01-S image
  • Options
    G4 my guess if you don't mind could you tell what you had to pay ,ball park.
    "Freedom of speech is a great thing.Just because you can say anything does not mean you should.
  • Options
    BarryBarry Posts: 10,100 ✭✭✭
    I sold one about a year ago that looked similar with slightly more reverse lettering and it was AG3.
  • Options
    ARCOARCO Posts: 4,313 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What a tough set! Congratulations! So the 01-S was the last date acquired?

Tyler
  • Options
    wam98wam98 Posts: 2,685
    Wayne
  • Options
    CaseyCasey Posts: 1,502 ✭✭
    Outstanding! Nice going!
  • Options
    I may be wrong but G4 doesn't need full rims, just date and legend readable,liberty worn off.
    "Freedom of speech is a great thing.Just because you can say anything does not mean you should.
  • Options
    MFHMFH Posts: 11,720 ✭✭✭✭
    That's the last date I need for my set as well. Congrats on job well done !

Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Coin collecting is not a hobby, it's an obsession !

New Barber Purchases
  • Options
    goose3goose3 Posts: 11,471 ✭✭✭
    Looks like a textbook AG03 for the 01s.

Nice coin. I'm tempted to grab one next month in baltimore. I have smoe $$$ to spend this time.
  • Options
    ERER Posts: 7,345
    imageimage
  • Options
    morganbarbermorganbarber Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭
    Congratu-freaking-lations! A very tough series, and one that is near and dear to my heart! I don't have the resolve or $$$ to even finish Walkers, Wasingtons, or Mercs. It is inspiring to hear from somone who has conquered such a challenge. Thanks for letting us share your moment of glory.
    I collect circulated U.S. silver
  • Options
    MercMerc Posts: 1,646 ✭✭
    Nice. I have a few barber quarters but will not likely complete the set. The 1901-S is too expensive for me. Nice buy there on your 1901-S. People normally think of the 1916-D merc dime and the 1909-S VDB cent as the fameous expensive key dates. The 1901-S quarter is much tougher!!
    Looking for a coin club in Maryland? Try:
    FrederickCoinClub
  • Options
    LanLordLanLord Posts: 11,681 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What an awsome feeling that is. I had the pleasure about 18 months ago, and did it with the same model (01-s).

Now it's time to upgrade some current residents.

Congrats.
  • Options
    Thanks for the kind words. For those who asked, PCGS says it is AG3. Paid $2600 + 15% BP. I think that was a good deal as most dealers are asking $4k for the same coin and $6k for a Good4.
  • Options
    mgoodm3mgoodm3 Posts: 17,497 ✭✭✭
    Nice 01S
    coinimaging.com/my photography articles Check out the new macro lens testing section
  • Options
    ms70ms70 Posts: 13,946 ✭✭✭✭✭

Congrats on the completion! image

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• Options
    ms70ms70 Posts: 13,946 ✭✭✭✭✭

Forgot to ask- What's next?

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• Options
    Dave99BDave99B Posts: 8,363 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very nice. Great work! I didn't think anyone actually completed Barber sets.

I also think you got a deal on the 01-S.

So what is the avg grade of the other coins in the set? How about the other keys?

Again, nice to hear somebody actually sticks it out!

Dave
    Always looking for original, better date VF20-VF35 Barber quarters and halves, and a quality beer.
  • Options
    I feel your pride brother....

Cool!
  • Options
    Dave, mostly G-VG. I tried to keep them around the same grade so the set looks good. I knew I wouldn't be getting an AU 01-s image I like the set, it looks real original with just "honest wear". Took me 4 years.

Ms70 - What's next? Well, I'm trying to complete a seated 1/2 dime collection right now. The last 10-12 are a real bear to find in any grade. Not a lot of people collecting them, I've been trying to stick with the more obscure series, e.g. 2-cent pieces. My 1/2 dimes are xf-au so it is a bit tougher finding good examples. I have not seen a 44-o in any grade and any price in over a year. I'm afraid once I do I won't be able to afford it, but I'll buy it anyway....

Tim
  • Options
    originalisbestoriginalisbest Posts: 5,915 ✭✭✭✭
    Good buy, especially for the $$$. Ever since seeing the prices move from the $2500 Parrino paid for a PCGS G6, real nice one, on ebay less than 2 years ago, to what they're asking now for them, the only way I'll ever add an 01-S to my collection is with a junk box/metal detecting "find of a lifetime." Even had I the disposable $$$ for one right now they're too highly priced in my opinion for AG to G examples.

You never know, maybe jdimmick will slip, hit his head and thus decide to send me his example, just out of the goodness of his heart. image

Congrats though, on filling a really tough space!!!
  • Options
    KoinlinkKoinlink Posts: 593 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    Congratulations. Good luck on the Seated 1/2 Dimes.
    Lurking proudly on internet forums since 2001
  • Options
    jdimmickjdimmick Posts: 9,601 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Congrats on getting that expensive little hole filled. The prices on that coin have steadily advanced.

Its funny reading about the JParrino G-6 example? A PCGS good-6 was the first grade I had purchased as well, it was about three years ago and I paid 2700.00 (at the time I thought I was nuts) Now that will get you an Ag-3 maybe

Originalsbest,

I continue to get offers on that coin more than any other I own, it will probably turn out to be the best purchase from a financial standpoint % than many of the others I own or have owned. Just last Tuesday, I had an inquiry from an intrested party at almost twice what I paid a year ago.

Thing is, I have no intrest in selling unless a higher grade comes along that is "choice, original an nice! " Becuase I will not give up quality for a number on a holder. I would like to see my self in a PCGS -55 or 58 someday, but if and when it comes available, I dont know if I could compete against Mike Hayes? as it would be one tough battle??
  • Options
    Jim, Now don't be taunting me about the sorest subject in my collection. I have only seen one AU 1901-S quarter in years that I liked; it was in a Heritage sale two years ago in an ANACS 55 (net) holder ( MS/ cleaned obverse) and I was underbidder ...I really think that it was a buy back... as I lost by about $57.00
    ( I didn't own a computer then and I faxed in my bid for $18K ) .

With the recent purchase for my Barber Half set, I'll be eating peanut butter and jelly sandwiches for awhile. That'll be the time a choice PCGS AU 55 01-S quarter pops up for sale. It never fails.
    Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
  • Options
    ShamikaShamika Posts: 18,760 ✭✭✭✭
    Always great to complete a goal. How long has it been since you first started collecting Barber quarters?

Buyer and seller of vintage coin boards!
  • Options
    In case you didnt see it, DLRC picked up a nice 01-s In Vg08 (PCGS green), but it was on hold shortly after the listing. Looked to be a nice original Vg IMO. 8k
  • Options
    KentuckyJKentuckyJ Posts: 1,871 ✭✭✭
    Congrats on completeing your set!
    Here is the David Lawrence coin DLRC 1901-S .25¢ They listed it yesterday and it sold fast.

KJ

• Options
    Dave99BDave99B Posts: 8,363 ✭✭✭✭✭
    10 years later and I still think this is cool!

Dave
    Always looking for original, better date VF20-VF35 Barber quarters and halves, and a quality beer.
  • Options
    OnWithTheHuntOnWithTheHunt Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Congratulations. As a set collector I appreciate the accomplishment.
    Proud recipient of the coveted "You Suck Award" (9/3/10).
  • Options
    LanLordLanLord Posts: 11,681 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>10 years later and I still think this is cool!

Dave >>

Yup, I just pulled the album off the shelf to look at it last night and was simply amazed at the beauty of a complete set. There are some I wish were higher grade, but I still love them all.
  • Options
    10 years later , and I now own a PCGS 53 CAC 01-s quarter.

• Options
    rec78rec78 Posts: 5,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I got lucky. I decided to buy a 1901-S quarter just before the big price increase. I paid $4500 for a nice VG. I started this set maybe say 40 years ago but never went for the big 3 - s mints until about 12 years ago. I bought them just in time or I would have had to pay a lot more for them. It is always nice to complete a set and move on to smoething else. Unfortunately for me, I did not get the 1916 standing liberty quarter or the 18/17-s these have most likely outpriced me. I have most of the 20 th century US coins (excluding gold coins+commems).

The 1901-S has always been a very tough coin-at smoetime, you just go for it.

Bob
  • Options
    CharlotteDudeCharlotteDude Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nicely done. That is a very challenging set. I'm particularly a fan of New Orleans mint Barbers quarters, especially the 1909-O.

'dude
    Got Crust....y gold?
  • Options
    Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Congratulations !!! image
    Timbuk3
  • Options
    barberkeysbarberkeys Posts: 4,152 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A much belated congratulations to the OP. Great series IMO.
    Vern
    l
    It's not having what you want, it's wanting what you've got.
  • Options
    TookybanditTookybandit Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭✭
    That is the only one that I am missing from my Dansco. Congratulations to you sir! image

• Options

Imagine my surprise when I saw I had already posted to this Thread... Then I saw the year (2004) ...
    and I muttered to myself ..."who resurrected this old Thread ?" .... I should have realized it was the
    "Kid" on the left coast still waiting for Santa (Leslie) to bring him one.

In the past ten years, I bought and sold an 01-S in PCGS AU 55 .... I saw yet another much prettier one, which is in tight
    hands which is also an AU 55 ( looks like a 58 ) ... but, someday, I know he'll sell, I just hope it's to me !

Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
  • Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I got lucky. I decided to buy a 1901-S quarter just before the big price increase. I paid $4500 for a nice VG. I started this set maybe say 40 years ago but never went for the big 3 - s mints until about 12 years ago. I bought them just in time or I would have had to pay a lot more for them. It is always nice to complete a set and move on to smoething else. Unfortunately for me, I did not get the 1916 standing liberty quarter or the 18/17-s these have most likely outpriced me. I have most of the 20 th century US coins (excluding gold coins+commems).

The 1901-S has always been a very tough coin-at smoetime, you just go for it.

Bob >>

That statement rings a bell for me. Once upon a time about a year before the 01-S's took off I had 2 G-4's and a G-6 all certified! I sold the G-6 for $1250 and the 4's for around $1000. Ouch...that is when a crystal ball would have been handy!
  • Options
    ricmanricman Posts: 313 ✭✭✭
    Re the 1901-S quarter: I still have the original Coin World ad listing a 1901-S quarter in g/vg for $220. The coin now resides in PCGS plastic at G6. It's a nice coin with an attractive cameo look. At the time this was the most expensive coin I had ever purchased. It's great that you were able to complete your set. It's an accomplishment as difficult to do today as it was years ago from a financial standpoint. Congrats.
  • Options
    ricmanricman Posts: 313 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Re the 1901-S quarter: I still have the original Coin World ad listing a 1901-S quarter in g/vg for $220. The coin now resides in PCGS plastic at G6. It's a nice coin with an attractive cameo look. At the time this was the most expensive coin I had ever purchased. It's great that you were able to complete your set. It's an accomplishment as difficult to do today as it was years ago from a financial standpoint. Congrats. >>

Never realized I was posting to a decade old post! O'well, the facts remain the same.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file