Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Advice request. What's the best way...........................?

To clean out my Darkside "extras"?

I'm strictly a circulation coin collector, having branched out later in life from my childhood core collection of US & Canadian coins solely housed in Whitman folders to broader Canadian, British, Australian & New Zealand, and finally Mexico in Whitmans as well.

Not too long ago, the "1-per-country" bug bit myself and my kids as a way to explore the world's countries, cultures, history, and geography at the same time they were starting to lern about them in school.

The "1-per-country" soon branched out into a "MUCH-MORE-than-1-per-country" collection, until they fill 8 3" binders in 2x2's, as well as an "almost-complete" set of Euro coins from 1999-2002.

But now I am at a crossroads. Most of the coins I would need to complete my Whitman sets are the rarer, more expensive ones which my budget and future college, etc expenses for my kids make obtaining an impossibility & unjustifiable.

Same with my "1-per-country" set. After many times digging thru "junk" boxes at a once-monthly local show or at flea markets, I now "recognize" 95% of the ones I skim thru, with not much luck in finding any of the roughly dozen non-NCLT countries I'm still looking for, or, once again, being in a "priced-out-of-the-market" position on ones such as the 1970 FAO $4 Caribbean countries' coins.

Same holds true for the Euros. The remaining "needs" either appear not to be widely enough in circulation (if at all) for me to complete any more sets.

And with just the once-monthly coin show (often missed these days due to the kids' soccer or ice hockey games) locally, and VERY few coin stores nearby or even worthwhile anymore, it seems as if my collecting these days is limited mainly to swapping state quarters & U.S. "P" for "D" coins or Canadians just to keep up with current year issues.

I check out eBay sometimes, but, while it does create a bigger marketplace for me to browse, the bidding wars and outrageous shipping costs (which I find often an obscene & none-too-hidden way to increase their bottom line) leave me less able or interested in going that route.

So now I'm faced with not much more areas of interest, not much likelihood of obtaining any measurable amount of missing coins, and a decent number of "tradeable extras" circulated Darkside coins from the late 19th & the 20th centuries.

I'd like to "rotate" my stock of extras, or sell them to get a bit more spending money for those coins I can still get, but that's where I'm turning to other members for help.

There seems to be no nibbles individually from any Forum members (which doesn't surprise me, given the level of most folks' collections) - - save for the occasional request from folks starting out.

I could probably get away with shilling these over eBay with claims of "hard-to-find coins from desirable countries", but they're mostly just common coins one would find in a "junk" box. I don't really have a scanner set up or digital camera, or have the time available after all the demands at work to sell them individually or as "sets/grab-bags" on eBay. Plus, I've never set myself up to sell on eBay - - would these even be worth the time & effort?

I've thought about setting up a table at a flea market to show them (either in a "junk box", in 2x2's, or as "grab bags" while selling other household items, but never seem to either get around to it or have same kids' sports conflicts whenever these flea markets are held.

So they just sit here taking up space & serving nobody any good.

Which, long-winded, brings me back to my original question.........

What's the best way to "turn-over" my circulated Darkside extras? Any suggestions of ways I may have overlooked? Anyone in a similar position now or in the past who can offer any insight?

Any suggestions welcomed!

Thanks in advance!

- - Daveimageimage

Comments

• Options
    1960NYGiants1960NYGiants Posts: 3,457 ✭✭✭✭
    IF low value, then bulk lot them by continent on eBay. I had some luck doing that a few years ago with my extras.

Gene
    Gene

Life member #369 of the Royal Canadian Numismatic Association
    Member of Canadian Association of Token Collectors

Collector of:
    Canadian coins and pre-confederation tokens
    Darkside proof/mint sets dated 1960
    My Ebay
  • Options
    Your tradeable extra's link was empty.
    Got any Penguins or Named ship coins?
    I'd be interested in seeing your list.
    "Any fool can use Power, but it is our wits that make us men."

Collecting Penguins, Named Ship Coins and other assorted goodies

Looking for Circulated coins of Papua New Guinea

stores.ebay.com/Grumpy's-Cave
  • Options
    DBSTrader2DBSTrader2 Posts: 3,463 ✭✭✭✭
    YIKES!! I hope THAT's not the reason nobody's been asking me for anything!!image

Maybe my referenced post aged-off? I'll have to re-create it!
  • Options
    Dave, I was thinking about the same problem a year ago, when I decided to concentrate on ship and some other coins. I just took from my former collection about 400-500 coins from all over the world, created my swap list and up today have a very good experience of trading them on ship and other interesting me coins.

Here you acn find the most serious and comlete list of world traders, per country.

World traders list

I really think that it is the best way to solve your problem -- hope it might help you to make a decision image
    N. N.
  • Options
    I signed up on your website - - or at least I THINK I did!! imageimage
  • Options
    great! image Now it looks like I messed up my Profile when I tried to update it to point to my new "extras" list!! I now come up with an "error" whenever I click on "Profile", and my e-mail address is whacked!!image