Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Snakes Alive!

Or perhaps, Fun and Games in the Lower Pyrenees.
Actually, I believe that this medal, by J. Lorieux illustrates a tale recounted by the French fablist, Jean de la Fontaine, called the Peasant and the Snake.
A good hearted peasant found a snake frozen stiff. He had pity on the snake, and brought it home to thaw out. But once the snake had thawed, it immediately attacked the peasant and his family. The moral of the story is to direct your charity only to those who won't abuse it. Or something like that.
Honors flysis Income beezis Onches nobis Inob keesis

DPOTD

Comments

• Options
    laurentyvanlaurentyvan Posts: 4,243 ✭✭✭
    Peasants and snakes figure prominently in a number of different fairy tales and comtes, a popular combination along with the odd fox throughout history.

Very attractive plaque/medal, done in a style I like.
    One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics
    is that you end up being governed by inferiors. – Plato
  • Options
    StorkStork Posts: 5,205 ✭✭✭✭✭

Cool!

• Options
    AskariAskari Posts: 3,713
    I believe you're right about the de la Fontaine connection, Harasha. Those stories are much loved in France. There's also a somewhat similar Indian story about a turtle and a scorpion I came across reading to my kids recently. A scorpion begged the turtle to give it a ride on its back across a stream. The turtle declined, saying "You'd just sting me and I'd drown." The scorpion promised it wouldn't -- as it would then drown too -- and pleaded with the turtle until it agreed. Halfway across the stream, the scorpion suddenly stung the turtle. As it began to sink into the water, the turtle asked why the scorpion had broken its word and stung him anyway. The drowning scorpion replied, "I'm sorry, it's just my nature."
    Askari

Come on over ... to The Dark Side! image