Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Acquisition from Today's Coin Show

The day didn't start well.
I showed up early, and my regular provider of nice Darkside material didn't make it to the show - his normal table stood empty.
Rarely do I ever find another nice piece from someone else, but I started to make it 'round the bourse.

I stopped at another dealer and bought a small group of U.S. Obsolete Banknotes (one of my many other interests). After spending all of my money I had with me (darkside dealer wasn't there) I saw THIS underneath the glass. This lightside dealer NEVER has great darkside stuff.

Sorry for the quick/bad image.

I have two nice Alexander's but didn't have King 'Love' Philadelphos.

I was able to convince him "I'll send $ it to you" and then jumped into the car before I spent even more money I didn't have.

I checked with Vcoins and the price seems appropriate (compared to the other coins) but this one has almost the entire 'rim' and nice original color too. A happy suprise for me. Thanks for letting me share. -JZ

Comments

• Options
    AskariAskari Posts: 3,713
    Wow! That is very nice -- well-centered, nearly full rim ... couldn't ask for much better!! image
    Askari

Come on over ... to The Dark Side! image
  • Options
    Looks nice.
    So, what price range IS appropriate for a coin like this?
    Wanted: High grade Irish (Republic of Ireland, not Northern Ireland or British) coins, slabbed and unslabbed. Also looking for Proof and Uncirculated Sets
    PM with info.

Auction Sniper For all your sniping needs. Tell them I sent you and I'll get three free snipes!

e-bay ID= 29john29
  • Options
    CIVITASCIVITAS Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭
    Got a reverse pic?
    https://www.civitasgalleries.com

New coins listed monthly!

Josh Moran

CIVITAS Galleries, Ltd.
  • Options
    newsmannewsman Posts: 2,658 ✭✭✭
    Which show was that?
  • Options
    JZraritiesJZrarities Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭

It was a small show in Tidewater Virginia.

Josh, here's the reverse:

It was marked $275 and without haggling was offered it for $225.
    (A decent ancient for $200-ish I'll always take) image

I was reading "Collecting Greek Coins" by Anthony the other day, and there was a good chapter on the Philadelphos story - I might have to re-read that chapter again now...

-Jeff
  • Options
    newsmannewsman Posts: 2,658 ✭✭✭
    Nice! We had a show today in Northern Va., and there were lots of Tidewater dealers there. I picked up a few nice hi-grade Italian coins from one of them. image
  • Options
    JZ, I was going to send you a PM (private message) about my coin collecting days in virginia beach, but that function is not turned on in your options. Many of us communicate that way. I believe you click on "profile" in the top right of the window, and it is in there somewhere. When it is turned on you will see a padlock symbol in the top right of a post.
    Just an option.
    -john
    Wanted: High grade Irish (Republic of Ireland, not Northern Ireland or British) coins, slabbed and unslabbed. Also looking for Proof and Uncirculated Sets
    PM with info.

Auction Sniper For all your sniping needs. Tell them I sent you and I'll get three free snipes!

e-bay ID= 29john29
  • Options
    JZraritiesJZrarities Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭

It's turned On now :-)