Home U.S. Coin Forum

What is the oldest coin certified MS-70.......

Just curious......

Comments

• fivecentsfivecents Posts: 11,207 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would guess that it is was a mint state modern Commemorative probably a $5.00 gold. NGC was the first TPGS to recognize the MS70 grade. PCGS followed suit a few months later. I would guess that NGC first recognized the MS70 grade around 1997-1998.

edited to add...I thought you meant which was the first coin to be certified MS70. Instead you meant the earliest dated coin graded MS70image
  • I would say that their is most certainly a 19th Century type coin that has graded out MS70.....I know I have seen seated dime that were MS-68 and MS69 so I would imagine something from the mid to late 1800's could concievably have made it to MS70, but I would guess we are talking about a population of just a handful of coins.
  • ms70ms70 Posts: 13,946 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sorry, I don't know..... image

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• ShamikaShamika Posts: 18,759 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I would say that their is most certainly a 19th Century type coin that has graded out MS70. >>

I don't think so. I don't have pop reports with me, but I don't believe there's even a certified MS70 coin from the first half of the 20th century much less from the 19th century. PCGS, ANACS, or NGC certified that is.

Buyer and seller of vintage coin boards!
  • I have no idea for services besides Pcgs. Just thumbing through the pop's quickly it looks like the oldest PR-70 coins are a dime at 1960 and quarter at 1961. For 19th century even in MS-69 the best I can find is 6 Morgans all dated 1880 (S). Sure shows the big difference mint quality of moderns vs 19th century.
    morgannut2
  • tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,146 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There is a 1793 large cent graded MS69.
  • mgoodm3mgoodm3 Posts: 17,497 ✭✭✭
    i believe that there's a couple MS69 gold 1$.
    coinimaging.com/my photography articles Check out the new macro lens testing section
  • Wow. TDN's correct: and two other wreaths in 68, and one is RD if I'm reading it right.
    morgannut2
  • wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,649 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There are a few 83/84 Olympic Dollars in PCGS-MS70 and the earliest half dollar Commem in PCGS-MS70 is the 1986 Statue of Liberty Half Dollar Commem. There is also a few 1984 Olympic $5 Gold PCGS-MS70 coins as I recall.

Wondercoin
    Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • Looks like the gold $1's are 1849 ow, 1852, 1853 (3), 1864, and 1880
    morgannut2
  • msch1manmsch1man Posts: 809 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>There is a 1793 large cent graded MS69. >>

That is pretty amazing. First of all, for the mint to have produced a coin in 1793 that would grade MS69, then for it to have survived in that state for over 200 years...seems pretty amazing to me. Same with the gold dollars. I'm surprised about the dates though...to my knowledge (which is very limited) these little dollars circulated quite a bit in their early days, but many from the 1880's were put away. I would have expected the 69's to come from the 1880's. Regardless, that is pretty amazing.
  • ARCOARCO Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great question. Seems that there could be many 68's and 69's, but MS70?. I would wager that the first date graded MS70 is very modern. Probably 1970 or later.

Tyler
  • ziggy29ziggy29 Posts: 18,668 ✭✭✭

<< <i>There is a 1793 large cent graded MS69. >>

In fact, isn't this one recognized as MS-70 by EAC?
  • relayerrelayer Posts: 10,570

I think there is a Morgan in the pop report as MS70, but it's a clerical error.

My posts viewed image times
    since 8/1/6
  • So is the 1960 Dime the winner graded at MS-70........ ?
  • cladkingcladking Posts: 28,312 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Great question. Seems that there could be many 68's and 69's, but MS70?. I would wager that the first date graded MS70 is very modern. Probably 1970 or later.

Tyler >>

I don't believe any regular issue moderns have graded MS-70. In fact except for
    a small handful of ultra-moderns and a few others cents, I don't believe there are
    any MS-69's either.
    Tempus fugit.
  • lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,194 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i><< There is a 1793 large cent graded MS69. >>

That is pretty amazing. First of all, for the mint to have produced a coin in 1793 that would grade MS69, then for it to have survived in that state for over 200 years...seems pretty amazing to me. Same with the gold dollars. I'm surprised about the dates though...to my knowledge (which is very limited) these little dollars circulated quite a bit in their early days, but many from the 1880's were put away. I would have expected the 69's to come from the 1880's. Regardless, that is pretty amazing. >>

That must be the one they call "The Coin". I haven't seen it, but I have seen an MS67 BN Chain cent. Pretty impressive.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • krankykranky Posts: 8,709 ✭✭✭
    So, excluding commems, the answer is none?

New collectors, please educate yourself before spending money on coins; there are people who believe that using numismatic knowledge to rip the naïve is what this hobby is all about.

<< <i>So, excluding commems, the answer is none? >>

Looks like. It wouldn't be very surprising if an '87 to date Lincoln doesn't break the barrier some day. Roosies are also possible.
    Tempus fugit.
  • BigEBigE Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭
    Congrats cladking you were right!-----------BigE
    I'm glad I am a Tree
  • 66RB66RB Posts: 2,516 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>So, excluding commems, the answer is none? >>

Looks like. It wouldn't be very surprising if an '87 to date Lincoln doesn't break the barrier some day. Roosies are also possible. >>

Wow, nice prediction Cladking!

<< <i>Congrats cladking you were right!-----------BigE >>

Thankyou.

Lucky guess. image

When I said there might be a Roosevelt I didn't mean to imply it was as likely as a cent and the dime would be ultra-modern.
    Tempus fugit.
  • mozeppamozeppa Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭
    ms?

2003 would be it.
  • MFHMFH Posts: 11,720 ✭✭✭✭

What's the grade of Rare Coin Wholesalers' 1794 "First Strike" Silver Dollar ?
    Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Coin collecting is not a hobby, it's an obsession !

New Barber Purchases

<< <i>What's the grade of Rare Coin Wholesalers' 1794 "First Strike" Silver Dollar ? >>

Are you referring to the former Neil/Carter specimen claimed to be the first strike? I believe PCGS graded that one SP66.

<< <i><< << There is a 1793 large cent graded MS69. >>

That is pretty amazing. First of all, for the mint to have produced a coin in 1793 that would grade MS69, then for it to have survived in that state for over 200 years...seems pretty amazing to me. Same with the gold dollars. I'm surprised about the dates though...to my knowledge (which is very limited) these little dollars circulated quite a bit in their early days, but many from the 1880's were put away. I would have expected the 69's to come from the 1880's. Regardless, that is pretty amazing. >>

That must be the one they call "The Coin". I haven't seen it, but I have seen an MS67 BN Chain cent. Pretty impressive. >>

Yes, it is known as "The Coin". And an impressive coin it is! However, I don't believe it would grade MS70 by EAC standards since the coin is not full red.

• I guess since the roosies are so small, there is less chance of them getting hit. If they do get hit, they are so small you wouldn't even see it.imageimage
    Luck happens when preparation meets opportunity.

<< <i>I guess since the roosies are so small, there is less chance of them getting hit. If they do get hit, they are so small you wouldn't even see it.imageimage >>

There's a reason why most $20 Libs look like they went through a shredder.
  • There are about 6 or so MS69 Morgans. Jack Lee and Mike Casper owned at least one I`m sure at one time. They both broke up their sets a few years ago.
  • What is the date of the oldest SEGS graded coin ? Every SEGS slab I've ever seen was MS70.

<< <i>What is the date of the oldest SEGS graded coin ? Every SEGS slab I've ever seen was MS70. >>

• Aegis3Aegis3 Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭

<< <i>What is the date of the oldest SEGS graded coin ? Every SEGS slab I've ever seen was MS70. >>

I think you mean SGS. Though I understand they've diversified their grades down to at least 67 now.
    --

Ed. S.

(EJS)
  • CoxeCoxe Posts: 11,139
    PCGS MS70 (7/2006)
    --------------
    Oldest cent: 2005 Satin
    Oldest Nickel: 1994 SMS
    Only Dime: 2005-D Satin
    Oldest Quarter: 2005-P Satin and 2005-D Satin
    Oldest Half: 1998-S SMS
    Oldest Dollar: 2005-P Satin Sac
    Oldest Commem: 1986-D Statue of Libery

....and who really regards these as MS anyway?

Obviously the 2003 MS70 cent hasn't hit my print copy of the pop report yet.

Select Rarities -- DMPLs and VAMs
    NSDR - Life Member
    SSDC - Life Member
    ANA - Pay As I Go Member
  • MFHMFH Posts: 11,720 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>What's the grade of Rare Coin Wholesalers' 1794 "First Strike" Silver Dollar ? >>

Are you referring to the former Neil/Carter specimen claimed to be the first strike? I believe PCGS graded that one SP66. >>

Yup, that's the one. I grade it MS70...because....image its an unbeivaable coin.
    Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Coin collecting is not a hobby, it's an obsession !

New Barber Purchases
  • At Denver there was one dealer that had a 1907 Half eagle in a forst generation PCGS holder graded MS69. Not sure about 70 though

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file