Home Buy, Sell, & Trade - U.S. Coins
Options

I need some advice

Does anyone know where I can sell some of my coins at? I have put them on this message board 3 times and I have not had any bites at them. I mainly have Morgan Dollars and would like to get at least Grey Sheet for them. If someone has any advice on where/how to sell these, please let me know.

Thank You,
Glasurit

Comments

• Options
    BigD5BigD5 Posts: 3,433
    Without any pic's, you are selling slabs with numbers on them.

You won't get much interest that way. Take the coins to a local dealer or two, or three and solicit offers. For the coins you listed you should receive offers in the ballpark of 5%-10% back of Greysheet bid, unless the coins are dogs.

Hope that helps.

BigD5
    LSCC#1864

Ebay Stuff
  • Options
    Where do you live?
    Mike

About Rare Coins
    12562-B Central Ave
    Chino, CA 91710
    mike@gemcoins.net
    www.gemcoins.net
  • Options
    nederveitnederveit Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭
    You can always try e-bay....
  • Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 30,997 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You will need nice pix for eBay too.
  • Options
    MICHAELDIXONMICHAELDIXON Posts: 6,416 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would be reluctant to purchase anything from you because:

a. You're a new member with 5 posts,
    b. Your user profile is not visible and
    c. It appears you only joined to sell your coins.

These three issues will keep MANY of the forum members from buying from you.
    Spring National Battlefield Coin Show is September 5-7, 2024 at the Eisenhower Hotel in Gettysburg, PA. WWW.AmericasCoinShows.com
  • Options
    Michael,

a. If I’m not mistaken, is this not the “Forums > Buy, Sell, & Trade - Coins” forum? So, what is wrong with trying to sell some coins?
    b. Some of us don’t have the time to average 5.84 posts a day, but it is your line of work and that is what allows you to have over 7,800 posts. And yes, I am new. What’s so wrong with that? You were new once.
    c. You can view my profile now.
    d. I am from the northern part of Greenville, South Carolina.

I hate to be so defensive, but don’t make assumptions about someone you don’t know. That is why people ask questions and try to get to know them. And just maybe there are a few people that might get that same impression about you, and that is why I would be reluctant to purchase anything from you. I was just asking for some help and I appreciate all the help and suggestions that everyone has given. Thank ya'll very much.

Glasurit
  • Options
    MICHAELDIXONMICHAELDIXON Posts: 6,416 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Glasurit,
    Don't be so defensive. You asked the question: 'If someone has any advice on where/how to sell these, please let me know." and I gave you a truthful answer. If you don't want the answer, don't ask the question. Board members have been scammed here and nobody wants it to happen again. I have seen many "hit and run" ripoff artists here in my "5.84 posts a day" and "7800 posts".
    Spring National Battlefield Coin Show is September 5-7, 2024 at the Eisenhower Hotel in Gettysburg, PA. WWW.AmericasCoinShows.com
  • Options
    RYKRYK Posts: 35,790 ✭✭✭✭✭
    MD is right. New posters have a much tougher time buying and selling here than veterans. It makes complete sense. A level of trust develops over time.

If all you want to do is sell the coins, this forum is probably not the best venue. Try local shows, local dealers, and ebay.
  • Options
    I really do appreciate ya'lls advice and I apologize to MD for my defensive measures. I want to learn all I can, so give me a chance. Thank ya'll again.

Glasurit
  • Options
    ajiaajia Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭
    Glasurit,

Looking at you thread on selling your coins Rampage did give you some advice, scan the coins.
    You responded that it was something you hadn't thought of & "I (will) try and get them posted today or tomorrow..
    That was Friday & still no images.

Also, if coins don't sell here for what you want try eBay....but be cafeful, there is a chance that they may not sell for the amount you want-then you have to pay the fees. Or they don't sell at all & you still have to pay the fees!

If I was you I would scan the coins, wait a few days (also TTT the thread as once it hit page 2-3 it may not be seen again).
    If they don't sell in a few days, lower the price a bit. Once you get to the point where you will no longer discount go to eBay or your local dealer.

As far as MD reply, he is only being honest....I was one of those taken by a newbie & would think real hard before buying from a new member.
  • Options
    MistercoinmanMistercoinman Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭
    Don't get discouraged, it takes some veteran's a few times before they sell there coins here also. Most board members will only buy for a couple of reasons.

1 You have a coin that they must have! Price is no object.

2 You have a coin that they can sell for a profit!

3 The price is just so tempting they will take a shot!

4 The coin is on someone they know want list.

If your coins don't fit these options, try another venue.
  • Options
    cointimecointime Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Glasurit,

Hi and welcome aboard. I think Michael and the others took their time to give some honest and sincere feedback. You will not find a nicer group of folks anywhere else that even compairs.

The one thing I would add is be a little descriptive about your coin and tells us about specific details that you think we should know up front. Also offering a return always helps image

Some of the old timers have built up a great rep. and can sell coins without pictures and everyone knows they can return them if they're not 100% satisfied. Just my 2 cents image

Good luck!
    Ken
  • Options
    Glasurit,

I have been collecting coins for years and I am a member of the NGC Collectors Society. I also have a number one modern NGC regestry set that is 100% complete plus many other NGC and PCGS coins.
    I asked here if anyone had a coin I was interested in and there wasn't any response probably because I don't post much because I learn by reading what others have to say.
    I called dealers that I know and the found the coin I wanted. Some people judge you on how many post you have or how many coins you have bought on ebay. Maby this site should be Buy, Sell, & Trade-Coins after ____ posts?