Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

finally got one of these! (Mexico peso)

The seller just sent me an e-mail saying this coin is in the mail. This time, I really can't wait to see it!

When in doubt, don't.

Comments

• Options
    That's a nice blast white peso! How much did that set you back?
  • Options
    ajaanajaan Posts: 17,140 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great looking coin. I like it.

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options
    DennisHDennisH Posts: 13,964 ✭✭✭✭✭
    $375 plus tax... and I was thrilled to pay it!
    When in doubt, don't.
  • Options
    laurentyvanlaurentyvan Posts: 4,243 ✭✭✭
    Congratulations-that's one I've wanted forever (it seems) but out of my league!

It's a real beauty!image
    One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics
    is that you end up being governed by inferiors. – Plato
  • Options
    BlackhawkBlackhawk Posts: 3,898 ✭✭✭
    Very pretty!
    "Have a nice day!"
  • Options
    ajaanajaan Posts: 17,140 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm too lazy to get my Krause out, is the overdate a more valuable coin?

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options

<< <i>I'm too lazy to get my Krause out, is the overdate a more valuable coin? >>

It seems not. If I'm looking at the right one, the mintage of the 1913/2 was 2,880,000 compared with 322,000 for a 1912 with prices running @ $100 less for the 13/2. Please correct me if I'm wrong. I'm new at looking up stuff in the Krause. image
    ~Debbie~
  • Options
    shirohniichanshirohniichan Posts: 4,992 ✭✭✭
    What a beautiful Caballito!
    Obscurum per obscurius
  • Options
    Gorgeous, Dennis! image I need to add some more Mexican coins to my collection.

• Options
    AuldFartteAuldFartte Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Gorgeous, Dennis! image I need to add some more Mexican coins to my collection. >>

image ... uh, Mexico ain't in Canada, Susan image

My OmniCoin Collection
    My BankNoteBank Collection
    Tom, formerly in Albuquerque, NM.
  • Options
    I need to become more multinational in my collection imageimage Besides, I took six years of Spanish in h.s. & college, so I kinda have a soft spot for Mexico too image

• Options
    very nice indeed!
  • Options
    Bill

09/07/2006
  • Options
    theboz11theboz11 Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭
    Stunning,,,good catchimage
  • Options
    Steve27Steve27 Posts: 13,274 ✭✭✭
    Super coin, I've never seen one of those before.
    "It's far easier to fight for principles, than to live up to them." Adlai Stevenson
  • Options
    coinnerdcoinnerd Posts: 491 ✭✭✭
    Dennis
    That is the nicest caballito I've seen in a long time. That price was a bargin IMO. I have an AU and a MS 61 1910 but neither come close to yours. Congrats I'm jealous.
  • Options
    Great coin. The low relief design makes this coin really tough to get in choice condition.. I have alot of Mexican material but a nice cab. still eludes me. CONGRATS.

Steve
  • Options
    DennisHDennisH Posts: 13,964 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I very much disagree about the 1913/2 being as common as the regular 1913.

Regardless of what the mintages were -- and I find it highly unlikely the mint knew they were making an overdate and kept production records -- my experience looking for Caballitos (three years) is that the overdate is extremely scarce. In fact, this is the only Mint State example I've ever found for sale, and it's only the fourth example in any grade I've found. The 1913 non-overdate, however, has been an easy coin to locate... almost as easy as the 1910.

The 1912 seems to be as tough as the 1913/2. I actually found one of those right away when I first started looking, but passed it up because it seemed expensve and I didn't know any better at the time. What a dolt I was! I've seen a handful of 1912s that were claimed to be Mint State, but the nicest one or two looked cleaned to me.

The 1911 short ray is tough, and I've still never encountered a Mint State 1914.

Here's how I'd rank the 7-coin Caballito series in terms of market availability in Mint State, from easiest to hardest:

1911 long ray
    1913/2
    1911 short ray

The Caballito series is flat-out gorgeous, and anyone who likes big silver coins would probably enjoy having one.
    When in doubt, don't.
  • Options
    oldshepoldshep Posts: 3,240
    That coins would fit right nice in my Mexico collection, yesiree....it sure would.
    Beautiful!!!
    Shep
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,828 ✭✭✭✭✭
    great looking coin... I REALLY LIKE THIS SERIES

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    Gorgeous Caballito - it's interesting to note too that this series was struck in the midst of a pretty prolonged civil war.
  • Options
    AskariAskari Posts: 3,713
    Superb Caballito!!! image
    Askari

Come on over ... to The Dark Side! image