Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Anyone care to answer a noob question?

My friend works at the Federal Reserve Bank. True story. He says he can get uncirculated rolls of all avaible coins nearly always in mint rolls. He pays no premium on the coins, but gets circulation strikes only. (obviously)

Question is: What should I have him buy? Multiple opinions appreciated!

Second question I have is: I see moderns trading all the time for approx. 50% of pcgs list price, does Pcgs ever LOWER the listed value for coins? Additional value information would be appreciated!

Third question is about a "mint token" (?) struck on a 1 cent planchette. WHat is this coin and does it have any intrinsic value, collection value, or market value? Additional info would be appreciated!

www.geocities.com/joemoris My Ebay and some personal goodies

Comments

• Options
    numobrinumobri Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭

The token comes in proof sets.
    NUMO
  • Options
    Third Question: that is the mint coin that comes in the uncirc mint issued sets; I don't know if it has any value outside of the set. I'd guess the set was broken up.
  • Options
    Hey thanks! I am new to collecting, and I dont really like the mint sets as of yet. I LOVE proof sets and spend about 60% of my $$$ on them. Thanks for taking time to answer my noob questions! This forum is an asset to the coin collecting world and helps bring new people into the fold. THANKS AGAIN
    www.geocities.com/joemoris My Ebay and some personal goodies
  • Options
    krankykranky Posts: 8,709 ✭✭✭
    The PCGS price guide is just a guide, like all other price guides. If you want accurate price information for "generic" items like 69DCAM modern proofs, modern proof sets, etc., then just use the completed items search on ebay. If the items are rare, consider looking at the Heritage and Teletrade archives. In between, the Greysheet (wholesale prices) and Coin World's Coin Values magazine and the Numismatic News monthly guide are your most complete options. But always remember that many, many coins sell for more than what the price guide says.

Not having a authoritative price guide is a frustrating thing for new collectors, I know. But since every coin is unique, and there is often a sizable difference in price from one grade to the next, there will never be the "one true guide".

New collectors, please educate yourself before spending money on coins; there are people who believe that using numismatic knowledge to rip the naïve is what this hobby is all about.

• Options
    The new Nickels with the Peace Medal and Keelboat designs seem to be doing ok from a real sale standpoint for rolls, so those might be some coins to have him buy right now. If you are not looking to sell them you could search through the rolls for high grade examples, errors or Double Dies????
  • Options
    bigtonydallasbigtonydallas Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭
    Value is not only difficult in coins. All collectibles have the same problem. What is it worth to you and someone else?
    Big Tony from Texas! Cherrypicking fool!!!!!!
  • Options
    Joe: Keep in mind that coin value is based on rarity. It's hard to consider something that is still being minted as rare. There are a few things you can tell him to look for.

Items that come in from the public that look old.
    Coins that have silver content, particularly quarters and dimes.

Now if you want to play the grading game then you might have him bring rolls of new minted items and you can look through them for the real perfect coins and send them for grading. You need to know what your doing and you won't get rich as it is being done a lot.

Have fun
  • Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,395 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Some of the ultra moderns are still not being set aside in very large numbers. You
    might want to take a little flyer on dimes. These aren't available from the mint except
    in the mint set and the demand just keeps growing year by year. Some recent date
    nickel and dime rolls bring substantial premiums already. Quarters would be a whole
    different ballgame. The opportunity is there but there are millions already doing it.

I've always tried to set at least a few of "everything" aside and if they don't go up
    in just a few years than the poorer examples will be spend.
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,395 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

Third question is about a "mint token" (?) struck on a 1 cent planchette. WHat is this coin and does it have any intrinsic value, collection value, or market value? Additional info would be appreciated! >>

Two of these tokens (one for each mint) appeared in all regular mint sets issued
    from 1984 to 1998. There is virtually no demand for them. A few dealers use them
    as spacers in their stock.

I try to glance at them when checking sets to find a mule or one struck on a struck
    cent. No such item has been reported to date though.
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    coppercoinscoppercoins Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭

<< <i>The token comes in proof sets. >>

Incorrect...the tokens come in mint sets, not proof sets.

They have no value.
    C. D. Daughtrey, NLG
    The Lincoln cent store:
    http://www.lincolncent.com

My numismatic art work:
    http://www.cdaughtrey.com
    USAF veteran, 1986-1996 :: support our troops - the American way.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file