Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

RPM on 1915-S Pan-Pac Commem

I believe my Pan-Pac commemorative Half Dollar has a repunched Die. Found it while playing around with the QX3 Microscope. Kinda Cool! image

Comments

• Options
    GonfunkoGonfunko Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭
    It does indeed. Nice variety!
  • Options
    krankykranky Posts: 8,709 ✭✭✭
    I agree it's a RPM. Cool find!

New collectors, please educate yourself before spending money on coins; there are people who believe that using numismatic knowledge to rip the naïve is what this hobby is all about.

• Options
    1946Hamm1946Hamm Posts: 768 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice find. There are 2 versions of this RPM. Here is the other one.

Have a good day, Gary
  • Options
    Great pics Snoodle and 1946Hamm!

The Pan Pac gold dollar also has an RPM variety. It's curious that these master dies were made at Philadelphia without a mint mark because these coins were planned from the outset to be struck at the fairgrounds during the Pan Pac expo celebration. That required that the Philadelphia mint's fourteen-ton press be sent to San Fran, in order to have a machine with enough striking pressure to make the $50 gold pieces.
  • Options

<< <i>It's curious that these master dies were made at Philadelphia without a mint mark because these coins were planned from the outset to be struck at the fairgrounds during the Pan Pac expo celebration >>

Not so odd considering that all dies were made a Philadelphia with no mint marks. I do see what you are getting at though. If you KNOW that all of the coins are going to be struck at a particular location, why not go ahead and put the mintmark into the reduction model. Or if not there then into the master die. (Possibly the reduction model was made before they knew where the coins would be struck?) Maybe they did put them in the master dies and struck coins from the master dies After all, how many dies were they going to need? If you weren't going to need more dies than could be raised from the master hub, it would make more sense to just use the master dies for coinage rather than going through the trouble of making working hubs and working dies.
  • Options
    mgoodm3mgoodm3 Posts: 17,497 ✭✭✭
    From coinfacts, they made 60,000 of them and melted half. How many dies did they use? They must not have used any one die for any length of time for those?
    coinimaging.com/my photography articles Check out the new macro lens testing section

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file