Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Basic, but perplexing, question

Sorry for the off-topic, and mod, before you move this, please understand that the only reason I'm asking this question here is because there are some darn smart folks here in this forum, so I can't think of a better place to ask. Besides, most of my 2000+ posts were done here, so please have a heart!

Anyway, if anyone can confirm or deny this statement, I'd appreciate it.

"5.00 acres indicates a perimeter of 1867 feet."

The reason I ask is because I am in the process of getting fencing quotes and my property is not an exact square/rectangle, but I maintain that the perimeter of 5.00 acres is the same 1867 feet regardless of the shape of the property.

Can anyone confirm or deny? Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    yawie99yawie99 Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭
    I deny it. Perimeter is very much dependent on shape. The 1,867 ft. would hold for a perfectly square plot, but - just for argument's sake - suppose you had a plot of land that was 1 foot wide and 217,800 feet long. It's still 5 acres, but you'd need one helluva long fence.
    imageimageimageimageimageimage
  • Options
    dallasactuarydallasactuary Posts: 4,119 ✭✭✭✭✭
    And at the other end of the spectrum, if your 5-acre plot was a circle, you'd only need 1,654 ft 4.5 inches of fence. What we need is a board for math nerds.
    This is for you @thisistheshow - Jim Rice was actually a pretty good player.
  • Options
    jrinckjrinck Posts: 1,321 ✭✭
    Thanks, I never thought of it from those perspectives. Looks like there are an infinite number of possibilities, and I'll need to do my best to make an accurate measurement and/or consult the surveyor's drawing, if I can find it.
  • Options
    jrdolanjrdolan Posts: 2,549 ✭✭
    I'd rather read about acreage and fencing quotes than the latest scam on eBay.
  • Options
    <<1 foot wide and 217,800 feet long>>

A great plot of land to grow spaghetti image

Forum AdministratorPSA & PSA/DNA ForumModerator@collectors.com | p 800.325.1121 | PSAcard.com