Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

refractors - do you peel?

just curious of those that have submitted refractors to PSA. do you peel the coating or not?

beckett says the following on their website:

Refractors: When sending BGS my cards with protective coatings, is it better to remove/peel the coating or to leave it on?

The peel or no peel debate has been waging since the inception of the protective coating. One unknown factor has been that of the long-term effects of leaving the peel on. These coatings were never intended to remain on the cards long-term and only time will tell how well they will hold up, whether the cards are professionally graded and sealed or 'raw'. In terms of the grading of such cards by BGS, it is impossible to grade the surface beneath the coating. Thus, the coating itself must be treated as the surface and graded accordingly. Because these coatings are sometimes scratched, bubbled, or flared, unpeeled cards usually receive lower surface grades than peeled cards. On the other hand, graded non-peeled cards typically command premium values over peeled cards in the same condition.

Thanks,

David (LD_Ferg)

1985 Topps Football (starting in psa 8) - #9 - started 05/21/06

Comments

• Options
    KnucklesKnuckles Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭
    I don't collect new stuff but if I did I would peel them and submit them. Peeling doesn't lesser the value of the card. The card looks way nicer without the stupid plastic on it.
  • Options
    boggs301012boggs301012 Posts: 1,135 ✭✭
    I peel just befor submitting. The card is ugly with the peel on. Just peeled a few tonight! Nov special cards going out soon.

James

x
  • Options
    EagleEyeKidEagleEyeKid Posts: 4,496 ✭✭
    If you're sending in for grading, then definitely peel.
    A lot of times, the grading company will grade the peel
    as part of the surface. Therefore if there are bubbles or
    scratches on the peel, it's going to hurt you on your grade.
    Also, I have seen the peel slowly curl up on the corners while
    in the holder which makes it look so damn ugly.
  • Options
    AllenAllen Posts: 7,165 ✭✭✭
    yeah the peel was made to be removed. But we are lazy and some dealer probably told a buyer that it was better to leave the peel on and the myth was born. I think unpeeled grades do bring better money but it is hard to tell what the long term effects might be.