Home U.S. Coin Forum

Is it possible to buy a 1936 Proof set?

What does one look like? Are they "available" in the marketplace? Not put together ones..... real ones.....

Comments

• merz2merz2 Posts: 2,474
    It isn't likely you'll find one.
    Don
    Registry 1909-1958 Proof Lincolns
  • coinguy1coinguy1 Posts: 13,485
    Peaceman, whole/original sets appear from time to time. However, most of the better quality ones have already been broken up and submitted for grading.

By the way, if you see and/or buy a certified set which is consecutively numbered, that is NOT necessarily any indication that the set has not been put together.
  • foodudefoodude Posts: 3,552 ✭✭✭
    They are scarce. BTW, I had original '37, '38, '39', '40, and '41 sets work up to my table recently at a show- it was quite a surprise.
    Greg Allen Coins, LLC Show Schedule: https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/573044/our-show-schedule-updated-10-2-16 Authorized dealer for NGC, PCGS, CAC, and QA. Member of PNG, RTT (Founding Platinum Member), FUN, MSNS, and NCBA (formerly ICTA); Life Member of ANA and CSNS. NCBA Board member. "GA3" on CCE.
  • I imagine they are pretty tough to find! My wife has a '41 and a '42 in Capitol Plastics holders. They are original but not the highest quality coins. She also has 1951 and 1953 sets in original packaging. I have a certified 1907 set. I believe it has been together since 1907.
  • SteveSteve Posts: 3,313 ✭✭✭
    What does an original 1936 proof set look like? I thought the mint also sold these coins individually something like the 1909-1916 sets of minor(cents & nickels) and silver (dimes,quarters & halves). I thought the complete packaged 5 coin proof sets started in 1950. Anyone have better information? Thanks. Steveimage
  • MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,892 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What does an original 1936 proof set look like?

Let's be clear. An "original" set does not need to be in its original packaging. In fact, most original sets have been repackaged at least a few times.
    Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • darktonedarktone Posts: 8,437 ✭✭✭
    From previous discussions I believe the proof sets could have been packaged in a variety of ways. The book "United States Proof and Mint Sets" by Gale/Guth states that they were issued the same as the boxed proof sets of the 50's in seperate cellophane holders and stapled together and put in a box with tissue paper. Sure would be neat to find a satin finish 1936 proof set in the original packaging. mike image
  • A picture of an "original" set would be nice to look at..... anyone......

Checking Heritage archives now................ nope.......
  • You're right Steve the mint sold proofs as individual coins from 1936 through 1942. If you find an original set it was because the collector ordered all five coins.
  • relayerrelayer Posts: 10,570

Yes, if you have $5,000+ and can find one
    My posts viewed image times
    since 8/1/6

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file