Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

1971 milk duds psa-9 = $205.00 ???

hi all,

this auction just ended LINK

trust me, with a sale price like that, this will not be the last one you see !!

the price of owning the first one.

your friend, lee

Comments

• Options
    jrdolanjrdolan Posts: 2,549 ✭✭
    Ryan and I out-sniped and out-foxed each other. We both figured we'd get it for about $75 but both had ridiculous just-in-case bids. Oops. Speaking for myself, of course.

So Ryan can get the next one for $100 and Scott can get the one after that for $70, etc., and they can all rib me for being the one silly enough to be first. For a little while, at least, it's a 1/1.

Like I always say when someone laughs at my goofy bid ... "You're absolutely right. Paying big bucks for little bits of cardboard with a baseball player on it? We all oughta have our heads examined!"
  • Options
    hi john,

i knew that ebay user id was very familiar !!! i racked my (very small) brain trying to remember who it was.

john, we`ve all done it. and under the right circumstances, we`ll all probably do it again !!

congrats, john

ps. man, sure has been alot of buying activity in the bench master set group, you`d think this date was something special ??
  • Options
    Now you mention it .... Happy Halloween. image

But that's not why I went wild. You're secure at #1 this time around, nothing Scott or I can do about that in one night!

Speaking of going wild, who is this upslaallamerican who's buying up all my '54 Red Hearts? Is he a member here? Thanks to him and someone named rounders7, I can afford the Milk Duds.
  • Options
    JR/Lee- Well, I'm only slightly surprised at how crazy that bidding got on the Milk Duds. I can bide my time though! Congrats Lee on winning the Master Set race this year!. With the addition of an '81 Topps Bench PSA 8, I managed to tie Steve, at least for the time being (there's still 9 minutes to go). If only I could have added the 9 I bought last night, but alas the rules are the rules. I've already noticed one omission from this year's Master Set, the 1976 Towne Club disc; don't know how I missed having Cosetta add it when I sent in my last request. Oh well, hopefully it will be up soon!

JR- What's your e-mail address? BJ and Joe sent Lee and I an e-mail asking for our opinions about the card weights for the Master Set, and I want to make sure you're included and we get your input.
  • Options
    Scott, I too have asked them to add the Towne Club disc, and about 6 other Bench items that aren't yet on the registry.

To foil the spam bots I won't list my email address, but click here.

I received the proposed weights in an Excel file from BJ or Cosetta and don't have a real problem with anything that was proposed. I suggested some weights for my own graded items that aren't in the registry.

Obviously, I'd like Milk-Duds handcut to be a bit higher. image
  • Options
    John
    After seeing the auction end, I agree-we outfoxed each other. either way, one of us was going to pay too much! Looks like a nice addition to your set. I can't wait to get mine for $50!!!
    I have a Towne Club disk i'm sending for grading. Hopefully that will be part of the set at some point.
    Can someone send me the proposed weights? I haven't seen them, but am curious to see what is changing.
    Thanks guys!
    Ryan
    Ted Williams, Willie Mays, Tom Seaver, Mike Schmidt, George Brett, Bob Gibson, Lou Brock player collector
  • Options
    I think the last card I paid insane cash for was a psa 9 1975 earl monroe... I paid $200 I believe... it's like a $6 card... It was one of those cards that I just had to have in a psa 9... 2 years later and it's still a 1/1... and I haven't found any gradeable 9's... so, it was worth it for me.
    Good job on adding a sweet 1/1 to your collection...
    speaking of bench... what do you think a psa 9 1977 OPC would go for on eBay?
  • Options
    ydsotter: I dunno, a good chunk o' change if lee, ryan, scott, steve and I all want it. image

I bought a '79 OPC in SGC 92 for $10 inc. shipping, spent another $10 to cross over thinking just maybe it could earn PSA 9. Nope, only PSA 8. What is it with these OPC's and their rough cuts? Did Canada never sharpen its blade in the '70s?

ryan, scott: I can't imagine why the Towne Club Disc isn't already on the registry. Apparently it's not that hard to find (we all did). At the moment mine's the only PSA 10, but that won't last long.

Worst disc moment: I sent in a Safelon thinking it was 9, possibly 10 ... it came back PSA 5. I overlooked a faint bend in the cardboard. Not a crease, just a barely-visible bend that took me some time to locate. That one's NOT going in my set.
  • Options
    No need to worry about me bidding up a 77 OPC Bench, since I already have a PSA 9. Steve's quit trying to compete for the Master Set, so it's just up to the 3 of you guys!
  • Options
    I suppose it would be collusion of a sort to take turns bidding for stuff. Though I have heard of guys in other sets doing such a thing because they got tired of bidding each other into the stratosphere.