Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Leroy Van Allen

Do you know his email address. Would like to email him if i could come up with an address. Wanted his view on this coin i have found. 1878 7 TF reverse of 79. The line under the nostriles doesn't touch. I haven't seen this before. Any help would be very nice.

Comments

• Options
    TONEDDOLLARSTONEDDOLLARS Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭✭
    Here you go. leroy van allen
    E-mail Address(es):
    vams@wesnet.com

• Options
    This email address didn't work. Thanks anyway!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    DorkGirlDorkGirl Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭
    Go to Vamlinks and send Jeff an email.
    Becky
  • Options
    jdsinvajdsinva Posts: 1,508
    After looking at the image of the coin, I see it has the II/I obverse (visual clue is the ear) and the over polished nostril reminds me of the variety that has the same obverse as the v79 coin which I think is v201 or v202. There are only 5-6 1878 rev of 79 coins that have the II/I obverse, so it should be easy to narrow it down.

Oh, and Leroy Van Allen's email has changed but since he's not here to speak for himself, I'm not sure if I should post it.

Jeff
    Jeff

Semper ubi sub ubi
  • Options
    DorkGirlDorkGirl Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭
    You don't happen to be the Jeff I just advised him to email----? Either way, image, it will be wonderful to have another VAM person on the forum!!!
    Becky
  • Options
    Thanks for the welcome!

No, I'm not the Jeff you mention. I just share the same first name and interest in VAMs.

After checking my big VAM book, I believe this coin is the v201 with the II/I 35 obverse, which is the same as the v79 coin.

Jeff
    Jeff

Semper ubi sub ubi
  • Options
    Jeff,
    If this coin is the V201 that you think it is how rare is it and what would be the value. Right now the coin is in a pcgs-63 holder.
  • Options
    I checked the 7TF Attribution guide (purchased from Leroy Van Allen) and v201 is listed with an I-4/R-6, which has similar interest and rarity as v203 & v223. The VAMs 203 & 223, however, are Top 100 coins which means they're in demand for those trying to complete Top 100 sets. Dr Fey's price guide for v203 is ~2x common and v223 is ~3x common. Like any price guide, Dr Fey's sheet is just that, a guide. I'm hesitant to place any premium value on a coin since there is no magic formula for performing such calculations. Logically speaking, it should be worth a similar price as the v203 & v223 but your mileage may vary.

How's is that for a sitting on the fence answer? image

Jeff
    Jeff

Semper ubi sub ubi
  • Options
    K6AZK6AZ Posts: 9,295
    Hi Jeff, nice to see you here. Go to your profile and turn on your PM function.
  • Options
    Hi Eric,

I'm still learning all the bells & whistles here. I believe I have it turned on now.

Jeff
    Jeff

Semper ubi sub ubi
  • Options
    K6AZK6AZ Posts: 9,295
    Yes, you do. I just sent you a PM.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file