Home Sports Talk
Options

Mets Never Learn

Now I hear that they want to trade for Sosa. When will they realize that they have to rebuild? A player like Sosa, at his age, is not the answer.
Wise men learn more from fools than fools learn from the wise.

Comments

• Options
    milbrocomilbroco Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭
    Maybe they don't care about winning as much as they do about putting fans in the stands as they think Sosa may do.
    ebay seller name milbroco
    email bcmiller7@comcast.net
  • Options
    kuhlmannkuhlmann Posts: 3,326 ✭✭
    I also dont like the fact that they didnt give backman a shot at manager. sosa = strikeout city! he is to damn old and not good anymore(if we do get him i hope i eat these words)! Mets should put piazza back at catcher maybe sign someone like delgado to play first. our infield with wright reyes and matsui is young and awesome. get some pitching and if we stay healthy we will be in the thick of the race!

one more thing maybe get some new trainers bc we hurt all the damn time.
  • Options
    They gave Backman a shot at the managerial position, he backed out to pursue the Diamondback job which he was hired for

Mets need some punch in the lineup. Piazza is not the hitter he once was and Floyd isn't much to speak of either

Vlad was the answer and we should've jumped on him when we had the chance. Obviosly Beltran would be nice but i doubt they'll want to spend that much. Delgado would be nice at first with Piazza back at the plate

Also some pitching is a must. Pavano would be nice and re-signing Benson would be a plus. Getting the Pedro of 4 years ago would've been great but at his age im not sure he's worth the type of deal he'd be looking for
  • Options
    kuhlmannkuhlmann Posts: 3,326 ✭✭
    Reports i read on backman he had no shot thats why he went to the dbacks. its randolph but i guess leyland is getting an interview if the phillies dont work it out with him. id wont be upset if we leyland he is a winner.
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    as for sosa, when the mets got foster, pete rose stated "yeah so who is george gonna drive in over there" same situation here, met's get sammy, he hits 30 dingers drives in 70 to 75 runs and mets behind a 9 and 14 glavine win 70 to 75 games (if they are lucky) .

Good for you.
  • Options
    DeutscherGeistDeutscherGeist Posts: 2,990 ✭✭✭✭
    You can't put Piazza behind the plate anymore. His body can't take it. Maybe he can play 100 games a season behind the plate, but is that really the best use for him?

You don't need to sign a Sosa. Too much money and still too many holes to fill.

Do they even have any farm hands that they can try out? Signing Sosa would only make sense if the team needed one more key ingredient to win a champioship. THey are far from that right now. Their combo of Glavine and Leiter is good, but they need the run support.

Signing Delgado is OK as long as he comes cheap.

Olerud might consider the Mets if the Yankees don't sign him. He can play full time at first base. He is a solid fielder and above average hitter and gets on base alot. He is also a calming presence in the club house.

I really do think it is time for a youth movement though. Trust in the young guys. I hear many Mets fans say that it is not about adding one more pitcher or one more hitter. Bring up some young guys and lets see what happens. Forget signing has beens or older players. With the veterans the Mets have, I think it will be good to have the young guys there so that they can learn from the best.
    "So many of our DREAMS at first seem impossible, then they seem improbable, and then, when we SUMMON THE WILL they soon become INEVITABLE "- Christopher Reeve

BST: Tennessebanker, Downtown1974, LarkinCollector, nendee
  • Options
    baird34baird34 Posts: 1,174

<< <i>Olerud might consider the Mets if the Yankees don't sign him. He can play full time at first base. He is a solid fielder and above average hitter and gets on base alot. He is also a calming presence in the club house. >>

you don't have to tell Mets fans that... we had him for awhile & any mets fan will tell you he was not just a great player, but a great person to have on the team... it was sad to see him go

<< <i>I really do think it is time for a youth movement though. Trust in the young guys. I hear many Mets fans say that it is not about adding one more pitcher or one more hitter. Bring up some young guys and lets see what happens. Forget signing has beens or older players. With the veterans the Mets have, I think it will be good to have the young guys there so that they can learn from the best. >>

tell that to the new york media which for some reason the mets upper management continues to fight for top stories against the yankees... as long as they continue to try and "capture the headlines", us mets fans will be waiting awhile till we see a contending team on the field.

WANTED: Yogi Berra Signed Ron Lewis '69 Mets Postcard
  • Options
    Isn't Mo Vaughan going to make a comeback this year? image I do feel for Mets fans though, absolutely terrible luck with free agents the last three of four years. Sammy Sosa is on the down side of this career, Delgado may be also. Would be nice to see Carlos Beltran in a Mets uniform. He is someone you can build a franchise around.

The Braves were not that talented this year, and they still won the division. We sure would like the Mets to at least compete. Remember when the Braves and Mets squared off in the playoffs a few years ago? Batteries being thrown at John Rocker. Now that was fun!!
    Collecting vintage material, currently working on 1962 topps football set.
  • Options
    DirtyHarryDirtyHarry Posts: 1,914 ✭✭
    Mets want to put fannies in the seats basis their draw market of Brooklyn, Queens, Nassua, Suffolk. If they want to win instead of balancing the ledger, they need some new agressive blood to GM and run the organization. IMO. Bye.
    "A man's got to know his limitations...." Dirty Harry

Unfocused, impulsive collector of everything ...
  • Options
    The mets are crazy if they even consider Sosa.He's overpaid and doesnt produce much.I think they need to go with youth.And find a strength coach,Reyes is too young to have so many leg problems!
  • Options
    DeutscherGeistDeutscherGeist Posts: 2,990 ✭✭✭✭
    I know I am a big Yankee fan, but the problems of the Mets are not too different than that of the Yankees. Both need to go with a youth movement. It does not mean it will be rebuilding year, but bringing up farm hands that can improve throughout the season seem more exciting than paying millions for a washed up veteran hoping he does not hurt himself.

Get young guys, get better conditioning coaches and also some knowledgeable hitting and pitching coaches. I mean, Leo Mazzone worked with Smoltz, Glavine and Avery and made very solid pitchers out of them as they came up through the Braves farm system. Mazzone and Duncan are two of the best pitching coaches I ever saw. Could there be others out there the Mets can grab. Heck, get two or three so the youth on the team have more private and personal training.

I think it is more exciting to see young guys come up with the organization knowing that they are home grown talent and not mercenaries. The fans would respect that. The Expos have done well with youth movements by competing every year when under the helm of Alou. Now maybe the expos are an exaggerated example since they had to let many farm hands go because they couldn't afford to keep anyone. The Mets won't have that problem.

Interesting that so many Mets fans understand and appreciate the notion of a youth movement. I, as a Yankee fan, feel the same way. I heard rumors that Posada was going to be traded for R. Johnson? That's giving up a very good home grown catcher that fans love for someone that struck out Don Mattingly in the 1995 playoffs in the moment of truth battle. Johnson is great, but it would not work, especially when giving up someone who has meant so much to the team and is one of the best to fill the position in the first place.

"So many of our DREAMS at first seem impossible, then they seem improbable, and then, when we SUMMON THE WILL they soon become INEVITABLE "- Christopher Reeve

BST: Tennessebanker, Downtown1974, LarkinCollector, nendee
  • Options
    >>I heard rumors that Posada was going to be traded for R. Johnson? <<

That would be a foolish trade for the Yankees. Randy Johnson has only about two really good years left. Of course, I've thought that for the last three years or so.
    Wise men learn more from fools than fools learn from the wise.