For syraq

ajaanajaan Posts: 17,125 ✭✭✭✭✭

DPOTD-3
'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don

Comments

• Options
    Certificate of authenticity for a 1981 silver 3 coin set, 100dr, 250dr, 500dr, commemorating the Paneuropean games that took place the next year in Athens. Three different silver sets of three coins per set were issued and 3 sets of 2coin gold sets. The silver exist in BU and proof, the gold ones only in proof.

Have I covered you?
    Dimitri

DPOTD-1
  • Options
    Thanks D. Official sets? I can't find them in Krause.

DPOTD-3

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options
    Official set.

100 drs KM 125,135,136 $7 BU $12.50 proof
    250 drs KM 126,137,138 $10 BU $17.50 proof
    500 drs KM 127,139,140 $17 BU $24 proof (2003 Krause prices)

They can also be found slabbed:

100 drs PF65

250 drs MS68

Krause ,usually values these sets slightly higher than their true market value. The fall of prices of the Paneuropean coins ,due to their huge mintage,must have served as a lesson for the recent , much smaller mintage of the Olympic coins.

Dimitri

DPOTD-1
  • Options
    Thanks, I guess the three coin set is worth only as much as the three individual coins.

DPOTD-3

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options
    Something like it. Due to the nice designs,velvet case, shiny silver image, they're very popular gifts. Really, this was the first purchase I wanted to do when I returned to coin collecting. At the time, the price of this set was 25000 drs !(the equivalent of ~75 euros today, but around $125 back then, if not more,1 USD was around 200drs at the time and the euro did not exist) The dealer told me in simple words, that it was obviously my choice, but if I wanted, I could buy a choice/gem BU 1930 10 drachmas , for a little extra. He told me not to be impressed by the case and presentation, image, but realize that I might wait many years to locate another BU 10 drs,as nice as this one, while these modern commems will always be available.

One good lesson I got there, remember this was my first purchase as an active collector again, back in the early nineties. Of course I bought the 1930 10 drs, and guess what? To this day, I haven't seen a better one, not for sale, nor in a collection either. image

edited to add: the market value of that 1930 10 drs today, later slabbed by ANACS MS63, should be around $500+, more than 10 times the Paneuropean set's value. Back then , the value was almost identical.
    Dimitri

DPOTD-1
  • Options
    Quick scan of the coin that changed my collecting mentality. image

imageimage
    Dimitri

DPOTD-1
  • Options
    JamminJJamminJ Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Quick scan of the coin that changed my collecting mentality. image

imageimage >>

Nice! Portraiture on Greek coins is almost always dramatic and attractive.
    The wheat stalk on the reverse a bit like the contemporary Italian 5c coins.

-JamminJ
  • Options
    Following the Balkan wars, WW1 and a very troubled period in SE Europe, the monarchy was abolished in 1924, as king Constantine A, was held responsible for the fiasco and loss of Constantinople in 1923. Therefore, for the first time, the designs of the modern Greek state coins,were freed from the royal portraits and emblems and ancient themes were chosen instead.

This 10 drachmai, whose obverse was engravred by Percy Metcalfe, Dimitra, modelled on a rare stater of the amphictionic coinage of Delphi (336-334bc) ,while the reverse, by Mihail Axelos, is modelled on a 4th century stater of Metapontum,a Greek colony in Loukania, of South Italy, along with the 20 drachmai of the same year,(debased silver both), are probably the most beautiful 20th century Greek coins, still underrated IMO.Monarchy was restored in 1935 along with royal portraits and shields on coins, until the last (and final ?) abolishment in 1974.
    Dimitri

DPOTD-1
  • Options
    Didn't Percy Metcalfe engrave a lot of British empire coins?