Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

What coin are you buried in ?

What coin do you still own from the 88-91 boom that you have no hope of ever getting your money back ?

I have a 41 S Walker in MS64 that i paid a grand for !
Sold everything else at the ANA show in San Diego in 1988 when common Walkers in 65 were 325-350 !

Comments

• Options
    MFHMFH Posts: 11,720 ✭✭✭✭
    I got back into collecting in 1992 after a twenty year break; I missed the "Boom and the Bust". It was the "Bust" that brought me back. image
    Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Coin collecting is not a hobby, it's an obsession !

New Barber Purchases
  • Options
    badgerbadger Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭
    I can't blame the boom-bust. I am buried on a couple of NGC Lincoln DCams that won't cross as Dcams - and no one seems to want.
    Collector of Modern Silver Proofs 1950-1964 -- PCGS Registry as Elite Cameo

Link to 1950 - 1964 Proof Registry Set
    1938 - 1964 Proof Jeffersons w/ Varieties
  • Options
    ShamikaShamika Posts: 18,760 ✭✭✭✭
    Thank God I was in college and chasing women during the boom. I picked the perfect time to take a hiatus from collecting.

Buyer and seller of vintage coin boards!
  • Options
    ziggy29ziggy29 Posts: 18,668 ✭✭✭
    None, thankfully. My first round of "valuable coin" buying came around 1985, as things were starting to heat up but not yet at "crazy stage." A lot of the stuff I bought then was underwater for a while but has come back to be currently "worth" more than I paid for it. I don't have much of that stuff any more, as I've sold a fair amount of it in the last 2-3 years for various reasons, not the least of which being to fund newps in my changing areas of emphasis.

After that, I really didn't start nibbling again until around 1994, working on my cent collection, a coin here and a coin there every couple of months -- and it was only about three or four years ago that I really started becoming active again as discretionary income started becoming more available.
  • Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 30,994 ✭✭✭✭✭
    None!! I warn't collecting back then.
  • Options
    My Lafayette dollar PCGS MS63 that I paid $2,000 for and soon after was worth $1,000 and is now back to around $1,400. It’s in my dollar type and might upgrade. Is a right pretty coin.
  • Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭
    None. Matter of fact, the market would nearly have to evaporate completely before I'd be down to break even.

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    nwcsnwcs Posts: 13,387 ✭✭✭
    I was only 16 during that boom. So I had no money. The most expensive coins I could afford were super cheap Morgans. What got me was all the sliders and cleaned garbage I bought as BU not knowing better till I returned to collecting a couple of years ago.
  • Options
    I was collecting mostly proof sets at the time so I didn't get hurt at all!
  • Options
    jdimmickjdimmick Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭✭✭
    None,
    I was coming out of High school into college in 88, so I sold my Indian and Lincoln set's for cash to buy cars, stereo's and chase women!
    So if the bust came a few years later, I lucked out, becuase I didnt get back into collecting till about 7 years ago.
  • Options
    ColorfulcoinsColorfulcoins Posts: 3,361 ✭✭✭
    Never been into a coin so deeply that a long ladder didn't work......my biggest loss (so far) has been about $3000 on a coin. My biggest gain has been about $4000 on a coin so I figure I can't complain!
    Craig
    If I had it my way, stupidity would be painful!
  • Options
    mgoodm3mgoodm3 Posts: 17,497 ✭✭✭
    I haven't bought anything nice until the last couple years. I did buy a cleaned AU 1880S Morgan for $18 in the early 80's. I was using it as a pocket piece but I don't know what happened to it. So I'm out $18.
    coinimaging.com/my photography articles Check out the new macro lens testing section
  • Options
    None for coins, as I was involved with Confederate States Stamps. But the same thing happened to them also. Here's a quote from an article titled "The Day the Bubble Burst" by Robert R. Van Ryzin. I cut it out of the June 2003 issue of a mag called A Collectors Guide To Coins And Stamps.

"A similar market run-up in the late 1980s saw
    common-date Mint Stae-65 1881-S Morgan silver
    dollars rise to $500 retail value."

Anybody around during the late 1950s and early 1960s? The article gives a short description of "...prices on
    brilliant uncirculated rolls were driven up,..."

Jerry
  • Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thank God I was in college and chasing women during the boom. I picked the perfect time to take a hiatus from collecting.

collected 1976-1982 (age 9 to 15, sold some bulk silver for nice profits in '79) and then from age 16-30, all my discretionary income went towards gas, grass, and girls. So I missed the big bubble of the late eighties but did manage to sell a few coins in '88 and '89 to pay for motorcycles and ski trips. Only got back into buying coins in the late 1990's after age 30, decided to collect the early types I could never afford before.

I AM still buried in a certain 1897 Morgan I paid way too much for in about 1980, even after all this time the overgraded POS is only worth half what it cost.

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options
    mr1931Smr1931S Posts: 5,978 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Probably my ICG MS 62 1880 S dollar.

Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.-Albert Einstein

• Options
    Nothing serious here - would like to get rid of a lot of my US coins - a lot of circulated coins, jump change/silver, miscellaneous stuff and my complete Morgan collection - they do nothing for me, and have no idea how I acquired so many of them. I am going to start concentrating on darkside stuff, but will probably still get a few liteside coins on occasion from mint - but not as many.

As far as being buried in coins - I can envision this really kewl casket that has coins all over it. The graverobbers would probably get it tho. image
  • Options
    MercMerc Posts: 1,646 ✭✭
    Back in the 88-91 coin boom I was in high school so I wasn't buying anything certified. Some of those MS65 Morgans and Walkers loked great then, but they were coins I could never afford. I was buying nice circulated coins like barber halves in VG for $2.50 in these small auctions at a downtown dept store. My friend (also in high school) splurged on a Ef45 1830 half for $20! I just saw that coin again. It has nice origional toning and looks great. He was surprised when I told him what it was worth now.
    Looking for a coin club in Maryland? Try:
    FrederickCoinClub
  • Options
    topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭
    None for very long. If I go into a snitz and do sumpin stoopit, I get out of it ASAP.

Anything I get buried in consumes too much thought and stupid anguish. A small loss is the price of admission to the coin "show."

And the sooner rid of it, the better.

imageimageimage
  • Options
    RampageRampage Posts: 9,418 ✭✭✭✭
    I was in late Junior High to early High School during the boom. However, since that time, I may have overpaid on a few items, but none have been more than $40.00 or so. The high dollar stuff I have just keeps going up. image
  • Options
    ShamikaShamika Posts: 18,760 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>all my discretionary income went towards gas, grass, and girls. >>

Buyer and seller of vintage coin boards!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file