Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Loupes- are you using a good one?

A good quality loupe with a wide field of vision is a must in my book. mike

Comments

• Options
    I use a Vigor 10x and a Boush & Lomb triplet 7x.
  • Options
    foodudefoodude Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭
    A 5x Eschenbach loupe. There is no substitute. They cost about $60-$70.
    Greg Allen Coins, LLC Show Schedule: https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/573044/our-show-schedule-updated-10-2-16 Authorized dealer for NGC, PCGS, CAC, and QA. Member of PNG, RTT (Founding Platinum Member), FUN, MSNS, and NCBA (formerly ICTA); Life Member of ANA and CSNS. NCBA Board member. "GA3" on CCE.
  • Options
    michaelmichael Posts: 9,524 ✭✭
    yes and no

bausch and lomb hastings triplet 20x

medium big old projector lens from circa turn of the century 1900 4x or so just recently stopped using

cheap piece of sh!t 10x double glass loupe made in china

michael
  • Options
    RYKRYK Posts: 35,789 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I previously used a B&L Hastings 7x. At the ANA, a good friend had me upgrade to a Zeiss D36, and it has made quite a difference.
  • Options
    BigD5BigD5 Posts: 3,433
    I have a Hastings 7x and 10x. I use the 7x almost exclusively unless I'm looking for something specific.

It's always scary when someone approaches the table using a portable electron microscope type of loupe looking to buy coins, but if they're selling.....image
    BigD5
    LSCC#1864

Ebay Stuff
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,795 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I use a 16x which everyone tells me is way too powerful and that I won't buy anything... I always respond by saying I just want to know what I am buying. It was inexpensive...no more than $20. I refuse to spend more because I have a habit of leaving them at dealer tables at shows...

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    CameonutCameonut Posts: 7,260 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have several loupes - including B&L Hastings triplets, but the two I use 99% of the time are the Zeiss D36 and the Eschenbach equivalent. Both are wonderful loupes - I don't see any difference optically. They have great field of view and the ability to switch from 3x to 6x to 9x. But I give a slight nod to the Eschenbach only because it has a better way to hook it to a lanyard.

I don't mind spending more than $100 on a good loupe. It will pay for itself when you find that hairline or defect you wouldn't have seen otherwise.

“In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." - Thomas Jefferson

My digital cameo album 1950-64 Cameos - take a look!

• Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,353 ✭✭✭✭✭
    For everyday use I have a large wide angled ~8X glass from an industrial mass spectrometer. For
    close-ups I have a couple old scientific microscopes (one is portable) and a Hastings 18X. For look-
    ing at large numbers of coins I've got a ~6x power lens that's 5 inches across from an old X-ray ma-
    chine mounted on an arm on my desk.

I also use a 30X lens from a telescope for looking for seems and have several other glasses that get
    used on rare occasion.
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    I have two Hasting triplets. I am interested in learning more about the Zeiss and the Eschenbach after reading your posts, though.

• Options
    ShamikaShamika Posts: 18,760 ✭✭✭✭
    I have Hastings 7x and 14x triplets.

Buyer and seller of vintage coin boards!
  • Options
    nwcsnwcs Posts: 13,387 ✭✭✭
    Yes, I use a good one.
  • Options
    CameonutCameonut Posts: 7,260 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Luvdawgs
    Zeiss loupes are available from Margolis 305-865-3487 or loupeman@bell-south.net.

Eschenbach loupes are availble here:
    Safe (you may have to look around in this site)

Hope that helps.

“In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." - Thomas Jefferson

My digital cameo album 1950-64 Cameos - take a look!

• Options
    This is the one I use:

No. 9870-F - 1-1/16" diameter biconvex glass lens with 5X magnification in a chrome plated body.

Here is the link to the page referred to by Cameonut
    Safe
    Greg Allen Coins, LLC Show Schedule: https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/573044/our-show-schedule-updated-10-2-16 Authorized dealer for NGC, PCGS, CAC, and QA. Member of PNG, RTT (Founding Platinum Member), FUN, MSNS, and NCBA (formerly ICTA); Life Member of ANA and CSNS. NCBA Board member. "GA3" on CCE.
  • Options
    I ordered a Harris/Anco 10x wide field loupe off the Brent-Krueger site a few days ago. It's a cheapie but hopefully it will be good enough for an absolute beginner.
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,795 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I should mention that I use a microscope at home for VAMs, attributions etc...

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    shylockshylock Posts: 4,288 ✭✭✭
    A 3+6=9 Eschenbach, a Mercedes compared to the K-car I was using.
  • Options
    saintgurusaintguru Posts: 7,724 ✭✭✭
    Bausch and Lomb...7X and a 10X for really scrutinizing.
  • Options
    boiler78boiler78 Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I was completely sold on Zeiss until Newmismatist turned me on to Eschenbach. There is no comparisson between the two. The Eschenbach is the best I have ever "seen"image
  • Options
    mgoodm3mgoodm3 Posts: 17,497 ✭✭✭
    B&L hastings 7X and 10X. Actually use my camera more now as a magnifier.
    coinimaging.com/my photography articles Check out the new macro lens testing section
  • Options
    DaveGDaveG Posts: 3,535
    I use a B&L Packette 5x.

At least I never have to worry about losing it and no one's ever made fun of me for using it or has declined to borrow it!

Check out the Southern Gold Society

• Options
    At least I never have to worry about losing it and no one's ever made fun of me for using it or has declined to borrow it!

When two friends, one a dealer, refused to use my Hastings 7x, the writing was on the wall.

Actually use my camera more now as a magnifier.

Good point, Mark. But it's cumbersome to use it a show to look at auction lots or coins on the bourse.

I will have to check out an Eshenbach.
  • Options
    mgoodm3mgoodm3 Posts: 17,497 ✭✭✭
    What's the matter with dragging my camera and copystand around a show? I could just borrow a computer at some dealer's table and look at them.image
    coinimaging.com/my photography articles Check out the new macro lens testing section
  • Options
    What's the matter with dragging my camera and copystand around a show? I could just borrow a computer at some dealer's table and look at them.

And lamps? Good point. I stand corrected. image
  • Options
    jomjom Posts: 3,389 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I use one I got out of a Cracker Jack box. Do you think that's good enough?

jom
  • Options
    AethelredAethelred Posts: 9,288 ✭✭✭
    I only use Eschenbach. I have a 5x and 10x that I use every day!

If you are in the Western North Carolina area, please consider visiting our coin shop:

WNC Coins, LLC
    1987-C Hendersonville Road
    Asheville, NC 28803

wnccoins.com
  • Options
    I've used a 5x Eschenbach loupe since about 1990 or so. I'm on my second one. After about 12 years of use, the lense fell out.
  • Options
    AethelredAethelred Posts: 9,288 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I've used a 5x Eschenbach loupe since about 1990 or so. I'm on my second one. After about 12 years of use, the lense fell out. >>

They hold up pretty well, I have had my current one since 1997 and it is still in good working order. Some of the black paint you see in the photo above is chipped off, but other than that no problems.
    If you are in the Western North Carolina area, please consider visiting our coin shop:

WNC Coins, LLC
    1987-C Hendersonville Road
    Asheville, NC 28803

wnccoins.com
  • Options
    K6AZK6AZ Posts: 9,295
    Interesting. I tried an Eschenbach once and didn't really care for it. I've been using 7x and 20x Hastings loupes for some time and am perfectly happy with them.
  • Options

Zeiss D-36 (24/12) aplanatic-achromatic magnifier. The best I have found. Use it daily.
    www.jaderarecoin.com - Updated 6/8/06. Many new coins added!

Our eBay auctions - TRUE auctions: start at $0.01, no reserve, 30 day unconditional return privilege & free shipping!
  • Options
    MacCrimmonMacCrimmon Posts: 7,054 ✭✭✭

<< <i>The Eschenbach is the best I have ever "seen" >>

Yep!!

I use a 6x and 12x Eschenbach.
  • Options
    They hold up pretty well, I have had my current one since 1997 and it is still in good working order. Some of the black paint you see in the photo above is chipped off, but other than that no problems.

I've used a 5x Eschenbach loupe since about 1990 or so. I'm on my second one. After about 12 years of use, the lense fell out.
    I'm not sure how my first one broke. One of the teenagers borrowed it without asking ... then it was returned brokenimage

I wear mine on a lanyard. Some of the black paint has also chipped off mine.
  • Options
    darktonedarktone Posts: 8,437 ✭✭✭
    Well it sounds like everyone that responded here uses a good loupe. Maybe some differences should be pointed out between a cheap loupe and a good one so those that use those cheap chrome ones will know what they are missing. mike
  • Options
    Well it sounds like everyone that responded here uses a good loupe. Maybe some differences should be pointed out between a cheap loupe and a good one so those that use those cheap chrome ones will know what they are missing. mike

Lower quality optics tend to have more distortion, whihcnin turn makes it more difficult to get a true sense of what the viewer is looking at. An added advantage of the 5x Eschenbach loupe is that it has a relatively large viewing area.

Most graders use a 5-7X loupe for grading. I occasionaly use a 10x or 20x when looking for certain varieties and when looking for certain signs of alteration/counterfeit detection.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file