Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

1981 Bench PSA 9

Just saw one end on ebay for only around $60 bucks. I thought the last couple were going for $350. Did the demand just die for this card.

Thanks,

Glen

Comments

• Options
    Yes it has. The prevailing wisdom is that once you see a card more than once being offered, there is a comfort zone buyers reach "I'll get the next one...there will be plenty". That card is really tough so there were a few guys willing to get stupid (me included) who were building Bench sets or 81's, etc.
    Also, it seems that once a bidder attempts to win a card and fails, they seem to accept the defeat and move on and seemingly minutes after the auction ends they lose their desire to own the card.
    Try this if you get the chance:
    You'll see two bidders go nuts for a card. They'll each bid 300.00+. You just happen to own a copy of that particular card. Email the underbidder and offer him your card for 200.00 and you'll be lucky to even get a response.
    I call it "eBay mentality".

Also, I can offer a guy a card he wants for 50 bucks off-line and he'll decline. I'll run it and he'll pay 90. the next week..."eBay mentality".
    Bench is tough, but probably only tough enough to warrant 60 bucks these days. I paid 150 for mine and really don't regret it.

dgf
  • Options
    hi all,

i know 2 people who got this card for as little as $25.00.

the last one offered by gus (same seller) went for around $60.00

hey scott, you STILL think this card weights a 4 ?????

see ya, lee
  • Options
    Glen- The population has increased tremendously in the past few months. We're now up to 14 PSA 9's, which has decreased the asking price significantly as more and more copies have become available on eBay. I put a bid of $70 on this one, whereas I had bid upwards of $300 on one just 6 months or so ago.

Lee- I don't remember suggesting a weight of 4 for this card. Maybe you could point out where I did to refresh my memory...
  • Options
    hi scott,

my bad all the way.

was looking at a different card on the spreadsheet, and thinking it was this one !!

i`m finding that its hard to concentrate with a crying/screaming/fidgiting 1yr old on your lap, while trying to get some computer time !!

see ya, lee
  • Options
    jrdolanjrdolan Posts: 2,549 ✭✭
    Gus' Cards and Tickets has been pumping these out at a rate of about 1 or 2 each month since midsummer. I'm guessing he busted an '81 vending case and hit the jackpot with half a dozen PSA 9 Benches. The pop is up to 14 and it was 8 or 9 earlier this year.

The first one he listed I was able to get for about $12 inc. shipping. I simply asked if he would end early, he said sure, named the amount, then awarded the card to the high bidder (me). I think he did this for someone else on the next one. All legal and within eBay policy. Anyone can end their auction early and award to the high bidder.

Then he realized the demand for this card in PSA 9 and stopped entertaining early offers. The next one went full term and sold for some high amount, I forget what, but the price has dropped a little each time since then. I suppose when someone else cracks an '81 vending box or case, the pop. will surge again and prices will fall some more. Not only are more PSA 9's available, there are fewer collectors who want one and still don't have one.

We need to recruit more collectors for the Bench registry! But in any case, the days of the '81 Bench PSA 9 selling for $300 (or even $150) are gone. $50 or $60 seems the upper limit now. Now dreaming of the impossible PSA 10 ....