Home PCGS Set Registry Forum

Are 87-03PD 5 step Jeffs worth collecting?

The full step nickel club along with several numismatic publications publish prices for full step Jefferson nickels. For coins dated 1987 and later there usually is a note indicating that the coins must be 6 steps. The starting date at times varies (sometime the note indicates 1990 and above). The implication is that 1987-2003PD 5 step coins are worth less or not worth collecting at all.

I don't agree with that assessment. While I agree that if given a choice between a 5 and 6 step of the same date, mint mark, and grade I would usually choose the 6 step coin it does not mean that 5 step coins should be ignored. Any coinS 87-03PD MS65 5 steps and better are worth collecting. Any coin that grades MS66 5 steps or better is quite a find. It is quite difficult to locate MS67FS coins (5 or 6 steps). With the exception of a few dates (2004's, 2003P's, 2001P's, 1943D's) there will probably only ever be a handfull of MS68 FS coins. So while I think that you should obtain 6 step coins when available I would have no problem including a MS67 91P 5 step nickel in my registry set (there currently aren't any). This would be a very rare coin.
CS 65-Present FS Jefferson nickel set at myurl
RayOverby

Comments

• mister rayovac.

Howdy.

I am aware this nickel club has commented that the 87 to date nickels
    are all common in 6 step, but that has never been my experience.

I have always found the 87's and the 92 to date to be quite common
    in 6 step and the 88-91 dates to be scarce to very scarce in 6 step.

I have never seen more than a few of the 88-91 in six step at one time,
    while the other dates you could find endlessly if you wanted to. But that is
    just my experience, perhaps others have had other experience?

I had written the fullstep club about this, but never received a reply
    of any kind.

Regards, Steve.
  • haletjhaletj Posts: 2,192
    87-03 nickels are worth collecting in any grade regardless of steps!
  • FullStepJeffsFullStepJeffs Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭
    Ray,

I'll take all of your 5 step coins you dont want and are giving away... just ship them to meimage

Steve
    U.S. Air Force Security Forces Retired

In memory of the USAF Security Forces lost: A1C Elizabeth N. Jacobson, 9/28/05; SSgt Brian McElroy, 1/22/06; TSgt Jason Norton, 1/22/06; A1C Lee Chavis, 10/14/06; SSgt John Self, 5/14/07; A1C Jason Nathan, 6/23/07; SSgt Travis Griffin, 4/3/08; 1Lt Joseph Helton, 9/8/09; SrA Nicholas J. Alden, 3/3/2011. God Bless them and all those who have lost loved ones in this war. I will never forget their loss.
  • Ray, IMO, in the upper grades 66 or 67 5 or 6 steps are all the same. There are some issues, as you well know, in the 90's and 80's where good coins are as tough as any thing in the 50-'s-70's. I do think that PCGS won't give 67FS to any non 6 step coin, but my sample is small so this may not hold true. To answer your question, yes, IMO, they are worth collecting.