Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

6 step jefferson nickels

I am interested in communicating with other Jeff collectors that have or are interested in 6 step nickels.

- What dates do you consider available in 6 steps
- List of 6 step dates you currently own
- List of 6 step dates you have seen or owned in the past, or have heard of
- What dates do you think should have 6 steps but you have not seen one

- What date do you consider available in 6 steps: 39PS R40, 40PDS, 41PD, 42PD T1, 42S, 43PDS, 44PD, 45PDS, 46PD, 47D, 48D, 49D, 50D, 51D, 57P, 58PD, 59P, 68S, 70S, 71PD, 72PD, 73PD, 75P, 76D, 77PD, 79P, 80D, 82PD, 83D, 84PD, 85P, 86PD. All dates 87-03PD are available in 6 steps.

- List of 6 step dates you currently own: All coins in PCGS holders unless otherwise noted. 39P R40 66FS, 39S R40 65FS, 40PD 67FS, 40S 66FS, 41P 66FS, 41D 67FS, 42T1 65FS, 42D 67FS, 42S 66FS, 43P66FS, 43DS67FS, 44P 65FS, 44D 67FS, 45P 66FS, 46P 65FS, 46D 66FS, 48D 65FS, 57P 65FS, 58D 66FS, 59P 65FS, 70S 65FS, 71P 67FS, 71D 66FS, 72PD 65FS, 73P 67FS, 73D 65FS, 76D 64FS, 77D 65FS, 80D ANACS 64 6 STEPS, 82P 65FS, 83D 65FS, 84P 67FS, 84D 64FS, 85P ANACS 64 6 STEPS, 86PD 64FS

- List of 6 step dates you have seen or owned in the past or have heard of: I have heard of a 41S in an NGC67FS holder (should have bought that one!), have seen a 45S NGC 67FS (wished I could have bought that one), have seen a 75P, have seen a 77P (a MS65+ coin).

- What dates do you think should have 6 steps but you have not seen one. Full step nickel club lists the 38P and 39D as being available in 6 steps but I have not seen any. I have seen a 5.5 38P. I have a 39D R40 that is a 5.5 step coin in my registry set. I know that NGC has graded 42P T2 coins as FS (old holders) that may be 6 steps but I have never seen one. I have never seen a 44S in 6 steps but think it may exist. I think that 47D's and 49D's are available in 6 steps but have never seen them. I think that 58P's and 59D's may also be available in 6 steps but I have not seen any.

It my opinoin that the 68-70DS business strike coins because of there unique strike characteristics very likely are all available in 6 steps (or if a FS coin exists for it it would be 6 steps). While I have only seen about 20-25 coins in FS for these dates (68S/70S mostly) it appears that they all have 5.5 steps or better. I don't think 68-70DS FS coins exist with just 5 steps (or highly unlikely). Obtaining 6 step coins from 71P - 86P has been very challenging for me. 71P's are probably the easiest. Every other date is much harder. 77Ds are sometimes available, along with 71D's and 84P's.

CS 65-Present FS Jefferson nickel set at myurl
RayOverby

Comments

• Options
    Mister rayovac.

Wow, a 41-S in six step would be the holy grail to me.
    I searched for one of those for many years. Never saw one.

I think that the 38-P, 58-P and 59-D will not appear in 6 step.
    I have seen many 5 steppers, but never one even close
    to six step.

I would like to see that 51-D six stepper, I suspect it would
    be a weak strike MS-64 at best. But you never know.

This full step series is a maddening mixture of the mind numbing
    common and the excruciatingly rare.

Regards, Steve.
  • Options
    I can't speak to the post '64 coins, but did pull out a few of mine to check for 6FS:

39-D Rev 40 - PCGS MS66FS - 5-1/2 steps - A gorgeous gem+++ coin purchased
    from wondercoin 2-3 years ago and worth every penny!

42-P T2 PCGS MS66FS - I believe this just qualifies. Slight weakness under the
    3rd pillar, but by catching the light right you can just make out a thin, but complete,
    6th step.

44-S NGC MS66FS - Have owned this coin for more than 5 years now. A no-question
    6-step coin. An interesting coin with a die crack from 12:00 to 5:30, making it a 44-$

47-D - 5-3/4 steps, weakness under 3rd pillar

49-D - 5-1/2 steps

58-P - A 5-point-mush-something step coin

59-D - 5-3/4 steps, weakness under 3rd pillar

I'll have to work on the rest of my assignment! image

Ken
  • Options
    FullStepJeffsFullStepJeffs Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭
    Ray,

Probably the easier question to answer is... What date out there do I think has the poential to possibly have 6FS... the 1965-7 non-SMS probably...

After busting open ten 1965 bank wrapped rolls a few years ago, I submitted five of the best and they all made MS66 coins... most I submitted had 4 plus steps, 1 had five steps with bridging and tics, so I'm sure they exist somewhere in Full Steps... or at least did in 1965...

The real question is... how many dealers out there with tons of Jeffersons that they really haven't looked at in years have bank wrapped rolls sitting around collecting dust? With the design change, the pop's to most dates have been going up, so it's probably a matter of time before the Full Step pop's for the dates you listed change again... and again.

Remember a few years ago, when there were less than 10 late date Jefferson Registry sets total? Now look how many are out there. 50 in some form of progression.

Again, I think it's just a matter of time. I highly doubt there will ever be significant numbers of these dates, but they will come... hopefully before I die.

Dealers with boxes of Jeffersons... go look again... you never know what you have until you look... and when you find the 1965, p.m. me, not the guys in 2, 3, 4, or 5th...image

Thanks for reading my rant!

Steve

My Registry Set...
    U.S. Air Force Security Forces Retired

In memory of the USAF Security Forces lost: A1C Elizabeth N. Jacobson, 9/28/05; SSgt Brian McElroy, 1/22/06; TSgt Jason Norton, 1/22/06; A1C Lee Chavis, 10/14/06; SSgt John Self, 5/14/07; A1C Jason Nathan, 6/23/07; SSgt Travis Griffin, 4/3/08; 1Lt Joseph Helton, 9/8/09; SrA Nicholas J. Alden, 3/3/2011. God Bless them and all those who have lost loved ones in this war. I will never forget their loss.
  • Options
    I have a 6 step 45-P, it is a PCGS 65FS. NGC shows only 1 FS 45-P ever graded.
  • Options
    Full Step Jeffs.

I spent many years chasing the full steps.
    I quickly learned that looking through original rolls of any date
    from 1965 to 1970 was a total waste of time.

Never saw anything nice come out of any of those rolls(fullstep wise).
    I always pursued the mint sets on those dates.
    That was the only place to find a fullstepper.

And I think this is proven by the pop stats for the 65/66/67 uncs.
    I would bet large dollars, that all the slabbed fs from 68 to 70,
    were cut from mint sets. None from unc. rolls.

Slabbing the 65/66/67 SMS nickels with fullsteps as part
    of the full step set is screaming to happen.
    At least that's what I hear in my head.
    Although I do realize it does not fit the convention of
    the registry sets.

Regards, Steve.
  • Options

<< <i>Full Step Jeffs.

the registry sets.

Regards, Steve. >>

I have a 1968-S MS64FS from a $2 roll on Ebay.
  • Options
    FullStepJeffsFullStepJeffs Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Full Step Jeffs.

the registry sets.

Regards, Steve. >>

Steve,

I guess I should have been more specific... out of the coins I submitted, I believe there were at least two seperate dies used to make the reverses for those coins, however, I'm no rocket scientist and can not be 100% sure... heck, that could be used to describe my life... lol

Maybe I'm wrong, but I think we're talking about two different things Steve... did the mint make Uncirculated Mint Sets of 1965-7? I know they did for SMS Sets, which I've found definitely more SMS coins with 5+ steps than in rolls of Unc Coins... but, I think after the hoarding of silver coins in 1964, and the mint (or the powers that be) deciding that they wouldn't make Uncirculated Sets for 1965-7 due to the coinage shortage (which really sucks for people like me born in one of those years), then your basically comparing, if I read you right, SMS coins with UNC Coins... is that what your saying Steve? And Steve, it's nice to know I'm not the only one who hears things in his head...

Clackamas... "I have a 1968-S MS64FS from a $2 roll on Ebay." So, that's where the 3rd one came from... now, I know. I own one, you own one, and another CasaBrown owns (which was bought from a guy named Bob Stockford a few years ago I believe).

Thanks for reading my rant... again! Something tells me Ray is getting upset because we totally got off the original question... sorry Ray!

Keep looking at my Registry Set... maybe someone will feel sorry and sell me a coin!image
    U.S. Air Force Security Forces Retired

In memory of the USAF Security Forces lost: A1C Elizabeth N. Jacobson, 9/28/05; SSgt Brian McElroy, 1/22/06; TSgt Jason Norton, 1/22/06; A1C Lee Chavis, 10/14/06; SSgt John Self, 5/14/07; A1C Jason Nathan, 6/23/07; SSgt Travis Griffin, 4/3/08; 1Lt Joseph Helton, 9/8/09; SrA Nicholas J. Alden, 3/3/2011. God Bless them and all those who have lost loved ones in this war. I will never forget their loss.
  • Options
    Full Step Jeffs.

Yes, the mint only made the SMS sets during
    the 65-67 years. ( NO regular mint sets.)

And yes, I too have noticed different reverse dies
    for a number of the dates from 68-70.

The thing to look for is the steps. Look at a 65 SMS
    and then a 67 SMS nickel. You will notice a difference
    in the steps if you have two coins with full steps.

The 65/66 type steps, do seem to have a better
    chance of being full step then the 67/later reverse.
    But still there is not much in the way of fullsteppers.

Apologies to ray for getting off topic. I will slowly
    be converting my collection into slabs over the
    next year or two and the 6 steppers I own will
    appear there.

Retgards, Steve.
  • Options
    mister clackamus.

I knew there was a reason I'm not a gambler.

Congratulations on your find.

Regards, Steve.