Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Heres one of those raw AT Morgans you were discussing

Here is one of those raw AT/NT Morgans you all were arguing about. I'll buy all of these I can while you guys debate over AT/NT

Comments

• Options
    The color variation of the letters of the headband, around and between the letters, and the date look fine to me so I don't blame you.
    morgannut2
  • Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭
    That thing is butt ugly, but I'll give you MS65 Greysheet ask for it.

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    tmot99tmot99 Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭
    I'm thinking NT on this one. You can see the shadows around the stars which to me say NT all the way.
  • Options
    K6AZK6AZ Posts: 9,295
    That image looks more believable than the others I saw. But you have the advantage, you can examine the coin in person. It would be financial suicide to pay that kind of money on a raw toned Morgan without being able to examine it first.
  • Options
    TONEDDOLLARSTONEDDOLLARS Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭✭
    I agree $1475 for a raw toner on Ebay is out there, but you can always return it if its not what you thought it was.
  • Options

<< <i>I agree $1475 for a raw toner on Ebay is out there, but you can always return it if its not what you thought it was. >>

Been there, done that and got told I switched the coin. Absolutely, positively do not spend this kind of money on a raw toner regardless of the claimed return policy.
  • Options
    ...but but but...

Where is the gold, orange, and brown???? image

imageKyle
  • Options

<< <i>...but but but...

Where is the gold, orange, and brown???? image

imageKyle >>

On the lower right cheek and down into the hair.
  • Options
    Eric, with all you have experienced, I'm beginning to believe you were born under a black cloud. If its bad it has happened to you.
  • Options
    BigD5BigD5 Posts: 3,433

<< <i>That thing is butt ugly, but I'll give you MS65 Greysheet ask for it.

Russ, NCNE >>

You trumped my offer of FULL Greysheet bid for that coin. image

That coin is a beauty!

I agree that raw on Ebay is a virtual nightmare. I have long pledged not to do it, unless I know the seller, or feel I'm absolutely ripping something. imageimage

BigD5
    LSCC#1864

Ebay Stuff
  • Options
    mr1931Smr1931S Posts: 5,980 ✭✭✭✭✭
    "Where is the gold, orange, and brown????"

"On the lower right cheek and down into the hair."

I noticed the same thing. However, the purple and pink "brightness" in the hair bothers me. Also, why does and should the purple and pink cut off so abruptly at the imaginary curved line starting from just behind LIBERTY and extending down to a point behind the ear? Those features, still in relief, in the cap to the right of the imaginary line abruptly become light bluish-green. Was this coin's obverse fully and directly exposed to the cloth of the bag for all those years it took to make the colors? If so, I would think that one would not expect the kind of color "abruptness" seen on this coin.

Troublesome.

Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.-Albert Einstein

• Options
    The brightness you refer to is what I call luster and appears that way do to the reflection of the lighting off the coin. This coin has semi proof like surfaces under the toning. As for the abrupt ending of the toning you are talking about, I just do not see it. The picture shows it as slowly melting away and in reality it is more pronounced. Some members sent me emails when I forwarded them pictures of these coins and warned me not to post them as some will just attack. I told them about the old saying "empty barrells make the most noise" Fire away I love hearing the noise.imageimageimage
  • Options
    HadleydogHadleydog Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭
    Very real and very nice!image
  • Options
    "The brightness you refer to is what I call luster."

The brightness looks like its coming directly from the pink and purple colors to me. The mint luster would be underneath any colors that the coin took on after being minted.

Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.-Albert Einstein

• Options
    This is an obvious NT rainbow monster, end of story. I pity people who try to bash a coin like this due to their envy.
    Buy/Sell/Trade Rainbow Morgans
  • Options
    dazzling adj. 1. that which blinds or confuses temporarily by an excess of light.

• Options
    mr.1874 are you saying the coin is dazzling
  • Options

<< <i>Eric, with all you have experienced, I'm beginning to believe you were born under a black cloud. If its bad it has happened to you. >>

Are you trying to say it is rare to have an eBay seller say a coin you returned has been switched? If you are, you've had your head buried in the sand, it happens all the time.
  • Options
    No I'm just saying it appears you were born under a black cloud
  • Options

<< <i>This is an obvious NT rainbow monster, end of story. I pity people who try to bash a coin like this due to their envy. >>

I pity the fool who would pay $1475 for a sight unseen, raw, common date toned Morgan on eBay. "A" coins should only be bought when one can examine them prior to purchasing.
  • Options

<< <i>No I'm just saying it appears you were born under a black cloud >>

You haven't even heard my story about a dealer who purchased a $15,000 coin from me four years ago. Now that is a real horror story.
  • Options
    K6AZ, I would think as long as you get references from the seller and you know what your doing should be no problem. I'd prefer already slabbed, but a great coin is a great coin with or without the slab. And as another poster pointed out: 100% of coins start off unslabbed. Hate to pass up on ALL unslabbed coins. You could miss some real winners.
    Buy/Sell/Trade Rainbow Morgans
  • Options
    I've bought many raw toned coins, but I have bought them only after inspecting them first, and not to brag, but I have only received two bodybags for questionable color, one each from NGC and PCGS on the same coin that I knew was questionable but took a chance on it. Sure, if you buy raw coins sight unseen online occasionally you will score, but if you only bat .500 between scores and duds you will wind up taking a loss. It's no secret I'm extremely conservative when it comes to this stuff, and I'm sure I've passed up several scores, but have probably saved myself from many more duds. My bottom line is that if a toned coin isn't in a major holder, I won't buy it sight unseen online.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>. >>

I pity the fool who would pay $1475 for a sight unseen, raw, common date toned Morgan on eBay. "A" coins should only be bought when one can examine them prior to purchasing. >>

I would say that you Eric are a fool if you have not heard of a return policy by a seller with 100% positive feedbackimage
    Michael
  • Options
    Mike, I saw both of the coins you won in person. They are both super coins. I think the reverse toner could very well be a 66.
  • Options
    GATGAT Posts: 3,146
    I perfer this PCGS MS65 I purchased on eBay for $280 one morning when everyone else was asleep. No arguement as to rather it's NT or AT. There are deals to be had on eBay.
    USAF vet 1951-59
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>. >>

I pity the fool who would pay $1475 for a sight unseen, raw, common date toned Morgan on eBay. "A" coins should only be bought when one can examine them prior to purchasing. >>

I would say that you Eric are a fool if you have not heard of a return policy by a seller with 100% positive feedbackimage >>

Feedback and return policies mean nothing. I simply won't take a chance on a raw toned Morgan if I can't view it in person before buying it. To advocate otherwise to some of the newer, more naïve collectors here is doing them a great disservice.
  • Options
    "mr.1874 are you saying the coin is dazzling"

I mistakenly posted a short definition of "dazzling" here. I meant for it to go in my "vivid bag toned Morgan dollar" thread.

The 1881 S which is the topic of discussion in this thread is, in a word, unusual.

I invite you to post your very own one word description for the "textbook" 1882 S toner in my thread. image

• Options

<< <i>I pity the fool who would pay ..... >>

He is neither a fool, nor does he need any pity from you.
    Collecting eye-appealing Proof and MS Indian Head Cents, 1858 Flying Eagle and IHC patterns and beautiful toned coins.

“It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so.” Mark Twain
    Newmismatist
  • Options

• Options

<< <i>I perfer this PCGS MS65 I purchased on eBay for $280 one morning when everyone else was asleep. No arguement as to rather it's NT or AT. There are deals to be had on eBay.
    image >>

That's a nice coin I lost an 1896 that looked just like it on Ebay for $285.......I thought it was the same coin until I saw the date......you and I were going to have to fight over that snipe if it was the same coin image

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file