Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

Need Cash ID help

Can a forum member Id these cash for me. I have no reference of these in any of my books. Thank you.

"Have a nice day!"

Comments

• Left: Board of Revenue, Szechuan, Chia-ch'ing (1796-1820).
    Right: Board of Revenue, Peking, Cheng Te T'ung Pao (1506-21).
    Brad Swain

World Coin & PM Collector
    My Coin Info Pages <> My All Experts Profile
  • sumnomsumnom Posts: 5,963 ✭✭✭
    I am on the road now so I do not have my references handy but I believe TBIRD is mistaken. The coins are from different mints but both produced in Beijing. Tbird got the right reign for the left coin but the one on the right is from the Yongzheng reign, which was during latter portion of the first half of the 18th century. Both are Qing Empire (China).

Since my Manchu is so poor, I do not remember which is which but one coin is from the Board of Public Works and one is from the Board Revenue.
    OK, I looked up Yongzheng period. It was from 1723 to 1735.
    I did some more internet snooping. The Yongzheng coin is from the Board of Revenue while the Jiaqing coin is from the Board of Works.
  • You're likely very correct. Chinese cash are at the fringe of my experience. Krause is highly deficient in its coverage and doesn't even list a pre-1736 reign in my 18th century volume. I have a copy of pages from 'Coins in China's History' by Arthur Bradden Coole published in 1936 as my only other reference. Comparison clips of the two reigns' characters from it are below:

Brad Swain

World Coin & PM Collector
    My Coin Info Pages <> My All Experts Profile
    It is Yongzheng, without a doubt. Plus, there are no Ming coins with Manchu script.