Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Show report - Texas Coin Show

Went to the show this afternoon in Grapevine. Had to go today because the wekend is booked solid and I prolly won't get a chance to go later. There were 4-5 dealers there that had some good selectioons in darkside material this time. Doesn't seem like a high number, but for a show that only has 70 tables, that many darkside dealers is a really good turnout!

I only picked up 48 (yes, 48) coppers, most of which fit into the African copper type set. I did get a couple of British half-penny ship coins (thanks Spinaker - like I need another series to collect image). I also picked up 3 nice Buffalo nickels that had beautiful toning on them.

I was looking at the coins after I got home from the show and I was shocked to see that I paid almost as much for the three nickels as I did for te 48 coppers - there's something wrong with that, I'm just not sure what...

To put a different spin on things - 2 of the coppers that I picked up where a half-penny and 1 penny proof from Ghana - 1958 - with a total mintage for each of 6481. I paid $2 each for the coins. Had those been liteside coins, I would have had to mortgage the house to buy one of them, if I had even been ableto find reasonable examples of the coins (just gotta love the darkside!).

All-in-all, I had a good time at the show and found a lot of coins that I wanted in my collection. The only drawback - my favorite darkside dealer did not set-up for this show. Hopefully, he will be there next week at the Ft Worth show.
Cecil
Total Copper Nutcase - African, British Ships, Channel Islands!!!
'Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup'

Comments

• Options
    wildjagwildjag Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the report. I was thinking about driving up, but this weekend is already too busy. Plus I hate driving on I-35 in the rain image
  • Options
    ajaanajaan Posts: 17,116 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>2 of the coppers that I picked up where a half-penny and 1 penny proof from Ghana - 1958 - with a total mintage for each of 6481 >>

1958, a very good year. image If you ever want to sell these please keep me in mind.

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options
    Plus I hate driving on I-35 in the rain
    I just walked the dog, and there wasn't a cloud in sight, here in Grapevine at this time.
    Lots of humidity with a high temperature dew point though, almost like rain. image
  • Options
    wildjagwildjag Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Plus I hate driving on I-35 in the rain
    I just walked the dog, and there wasn't a cloud in sight, here in Grapevine at this time.
    Lots of humidity with a high temperature dew point though, almost like rain. image >>

Well the weatherman was saying it was going to rain all weekend yesterday. So I look this morning and its only supposed to be partly cloudy today. image
  • Options
    AuldFartteAuldFartte Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭✭
    The price differential between Darkside and liteside is probably the main reason that I turned to the Darkside. Incredibly beautiful coins for a fraction of the price of a relatively common US coin. I bought a dozen coins at the local show here in early October (all Darkside, and most Unc.) for my Canadian Type Set. The total was less than 30% of the cost of ONE US coin I would need for the US Type Set.

I love this place image

My OmniCoin Collection
    My BankNoteBank Collection
    Tom, formerly in Albuquerque, NM.
  • Options
    Thats one of the reasons I collect more darkside than lightside gold coins!
  • Options
    image I have some extras from upgrades if you need more ship halfpennies!! image
    Terry

eBay Store

DPOTD Jan 2005, Meet the Darksiders
  • Options
    AskariAskari Posts: 3,713
    Wish I could have been there. *Sigh*
    Askari

Come on over ... to The Dark Side! image
  • Options
    well these Grapevine shows come up pretty often. I am hoping to make the next one - need to check the coin show site and see when it is - maybe we can all plan to meet someplace next time at a certain date and time. I'd like to say hi to everyone. image

couldn't make it this time because I am preparing to go be with my son for his lung surgery - possibly tomorrow.

• Options
    AskariAskari Posts: 3,713
    Sorry to hear about your son, Neptune!image I hope his surgery goes well!! I'll be praying for him.
    Askari

Come on over ... to The Dark Side! image
  • Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,335 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The neat thing about the '58 Ghana coins is that there was a circulating version. It got worn down
    to a;lmost nothing from many years of use. I don't know that they were melted then but the worn
    ones aren't often seen so they were probably melted. The uncs are availale too, though not really
    common.
    Tempus fugit.