Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Is this a good grade 7?

I just came accross this card on ebay says psa 7. doesnt look like a 7 to me.

card

Comments

• Options
    jrdolanjrdolan Posts: 2,549 ✭✭
    Well, you're right, the corners don't look like 7, but the scan is very small. Ask to see a larger scan.

The seller has mucho feedback, 99.9% score, and he has vintage card sales in his history. So I wouldn't suspect a scam.

If it still looks overgraded in the larger scan, pass. As they drum into our heads ... buy the card not the holder!
  • Options
    kuhlmannkuhlmann Posts: 3,326 ✭✭
    not calling it a scam but centering and corners look more like a 5, from that scan.
  • Options
    sagardsagard Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭
    I think that the grade of PSA 7 has a wide selection of cards. You can find some extremely sharp cards and also some dull OC copies. They all fit the standard for the grade and will sell for drastically different prices in relation to SMR.
  • Options
    A761506A761506 Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭
    I've seen cards in 8 holders with worse centering than that... just depends on who the grader is. That definitely looks like 7 centering to me. As far as the corners, can't really see from that scan. I would be hesitant to call that card overgraded just from what can be seen, and would feel totally comfortable purchasing it if I were in the market for a 1957 PSA 7 Williams.
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i> As far as the corners, can't really see from that scan >>

I agree with A76 on the card. More importantly, the card was purchased below SMR by a very big seller of cards on ebay - I have purchased cards from All-star with positive results. If I were interested in the card, I would've tried to get the seller to send me a better scan tho.
    your friend
    Mike
    Mike
  • Options
    kuhlmannkuhlmann Posts: 3,326 ✭✭
    Ok explain this card then. i am trying to put a 57 set together in 5-7. this 5 looks better then the williams 7?

card
  • Options
    A761506A761506 Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭
    Highly likely the Mantle has a surface wrinkle on either the front or back. A surface wrinkle always brings a card to at least a 5.
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    from the scans the 5 does look better then the 7

the seller of the williams needs to go to scan school
    the mantle looks to be graded properly as it appears from the scan to have soft corners. the mantle in my opinion is a sweet example of a mid grade card.
    Good for you.
  • Options
    bobsbbcardsbobsbbcards Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭
    OK...I'll take the bait.

The Williams is in an old slab. The Mantle is in a new slab. The Mantle might have a wrinkle, so it's not necessarily a good example.

If you added links to all of the old PSA 7 slabs (cert # starting with "0") and all of the new slabs (cert # not starting with "0"), covered up the cert # (or the whole flip if you wanted), asked people to rank the condition of the cards from best to worst, I wouldn't be surprised if all of the newer slabs were in the top condition group and all of the older slabs were in the bottom condition group.

I won't purchase cards with cert #s starting with "070", "010", "020", or "080". PSA, in the early days, didn't pay as much attention to corners as they should. Some might say that they don't pay as much attention now to centering as they should, but I don't give a hoot about centering—just corners, edges, and surface.

Bob (IMHO)

Let the age old argument begin again.
  • Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,756 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't think the 57 Mantle "has to" have a wrinkle, and probably doesn't. The corners are PSA 5 corners. The centering though does make it a superb PSA 5.
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>The corners are PSA 5 corners. The centering though does make it a superb PSA 5. >>

Steve
    Agreed.
    Everyone has covered this very well and the bottom line is that a better scan on the Williams would help before buying the card unless you get it real cheap.
    Chris:
    That is, IMO, a hi end psa 5 card and a very nice addition to your set - the smr is 350$ - so the price is getting up there - if you can snatch it under 300$, I think that would be a great buy since the centering is really good - so - good luck!
    your friend
    Mike
    Mike