Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

Overdate or doubling?

Right chaps.

I got this coin a while back so that i could cross off the 5/4 overdate off of my want list.

But now i know it's a 5/4 overdate, but what's up with the 6?

Is this a big 6 over a little 6 or is it doubling?

Comments

• coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,719 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Perhaps this is a newly discovered variety... don't laugh...it really is possible.

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• MacCrimmonMacCrimmon Posts: 7,051 ✭✭✭
    It may be an overdate (repunched digit), but it's not doubling.

It could also be the errant die tool or die chip. I really can't tell completely as it's a bit blurry on my monitor.

Nice 5/4, though.

• << <i>Perhaps this is a newly discovered variety... don't laugh...it really is possible. >>

I'm not sure if it's been reported but i know that another dealer had one listed on his lists as "big six over little 6", this list had been around a while but i had not noticed, i just accidentally found the coin, the guy who sold it to me hadn't spotted it and i didn't spot it until i scanned it in. Quite a decent scan for once me thinks!

I dunno if it's listed in Spinks cos i don't have one but i'll get it listed in at least one coin book, along with another unrecorded sixpence, that i sadly don't have.
  • MacCrimmonMacCrimmon Posts: 7,051 ✭✭✭
    Syl, there's no mention of the big 6/small 6 overdate on any of the C2 tanners in Spinks 2004.

BTW, the 1675/4 lists at 300 quid in VF and 750 in EF.
  • That much! image

I bought it for £195 in January... but then again it's not VF, probably GF/AVF

Here's the whole coin...

By US standards I think it makes VF 20 or perhaps VF25. The problem is that the Charles II shillings are often not fully struck to begin with... especially the obverse. I kinda like the coin.

• << <i>By US standards I think it makes VF 20 or perhaps VF25. The problem is that the Charles II shillings are often not fully struck to begin with... especially the obverse. I kinda like the coin. >>

It's a sixpence though.
    I made a mistake... primarily because I look for shillings and not 6d and perhaps the Charles II 6d coins are struck better than the shillings... I have not seen enough of the 6d coins, but based upon what I have seen in the Crown and Shilling denominations, I still believe your 6d would be in the VF20-25 RANGE.

• AVF then.

Which is pretty much what i though. image
    I would say a solid AVF unless the coin looks much worse than the picture. Notice that the heaviest wear is obviously on the highest point of the portrait and while I have not seen that many 6d examples, I have seen the Charles II shillings and it is just not uncommon for the center of the portrait to be weakly struck. I tend to believe that your coin may not have been fully struck based on the wear pattern. Perhaps that is why my grade seems alittle liberal. It really is a nice example.

• No i'm inclined to agree with you.

The coin does look a bit sharper in person, scans never bring a coin out exactly the same. But VF-20 is pretty much the right price for what i paid. The dealer i bought it off is very fair with his pricing. Never had any complaints there.