Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

Opinions please - ANOTHER new 1941 5c PCGS PR65 color

Hi,
The apparent "damage" on the reverse rim at 10 o'clock is wholly plastic in nature, so I bought this coin. What do you guys think - do you like it? I don't see many coins like this that arent white/dipped. It ought to go well with the '42 T2 I just posted the other day. Thanks for looking and sharing opinions!

Best,
Billy

1941 5c PCGS PR65

Comments

• Options
    badgerbadger Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭
    I like the color on that Jeff. I have been getting some of the early Jeff Proofs. What is the best resource (how-to) for grading proof Jeffersons?
    Collector of Modern Silver Proofs 1950-1964 -- PCGS Registry as Elite Cameo

Link to 1950 - 1964 Proof Registry Set
    1938 - 1964 Proof Jeffersons w/ Varieties
  • Options
    Hi,
    since posting this 1941 PCGS PR65 5c in the US Forum I have been told I have "lost it" and the nickel has been generally called ugly, coffee stained, PVC damaged, "funky" and the like.
    I think this is a great example of an early Proof Jeff 5c - fully original tissue toning not unlike my icon coin. I have been collecting since 1979 and PR nickels that look like this are in the minority - thats all I know. I had asked for someone to post photos of what this (a deeply tissue-toned 38-42 PR 5c) would look like if it were not "ugly" and all I saw was electric blue 1960's PR Jeffs, and a few pretty 1950's Proofs that were not that unusual IMHO. Nothing from this period. What I do see from these dates is white after white after white...some light tone, some hazed gold...but mostly white with mirrors that suggest a dip.

My question - is this or is this not what a fully original unmolested tissue-toned Proof Jeff 5c should look like?

Thanks,
    Billy image
  • Options
    michaelmichael Posts: 9,524 ✭✭
    i like it for me based on the photo

an original tissue toned unmolested proof 1941 jeff nickel with good eye appeal

and i am sure if dipped and has no hairlines would grade a point or two higher but few apprecaites originality within this 36 to 42 proof series but blast white plastic rarity is where the demand is along with other post 1940 series

and this is okie buy coins you like to collect with discretionary income not for investment

michael
  • Options
    RGLRGL Posts: 3,784
    I scored this one raw for about $75. Went PR-67 at PCGS. Nice color on early Jeff proofs is not as easy to find as most might think.

• Options
    LALASD4LALASD4 Posts: 3,602 ✭✭✭
    My Jef. is much darker than yours.image

Coin Collector, Chicken Owner, Licensed Tax Preparer & Insurance Broker/Agent.
    San Diego, CA