Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

How do you clean dip residue?

I have two Liberty nickels a PCGS 65 & 66. I do not want to crack them out and attempt to clean them unless I absolutely have to. Will PCGS do this for a fee?

If not what is the safest and best way to remove the brownish oily looking stain.Any help would be appreciatedimage
Toned coin collector

Comments

• Options
    DennisHDennisH Posts: 13,963 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My guess is the coin has to be re-dipped (preferrably in a very dilute solution) and then rinsed properly.

If you ask PCGS to do this for you, I'm 99+% sure they'll say, "Sorry, but we don't dip coins."

Thus, your only other option may be to send the coins to NCS, cross them into NGC holders, then try to re-cross the coins back into PCGS holders.

Is it worth the time, cost, emotional anguish and all-around hassle?
    When in doubt, don't.
  • Options
    Rex- When you purchased the coins, was the dip residue obvious at that time? If not, and the coins have progressed to where they are now, I would recommend sending the coins to PCGS with a note explaining how the coins have changed in the holders. There is a very good chance that they will fix this for you. A quick warning about this, though, the coins may not redip very nice. In that case, PCGS may decide to not give you the coins back in the original grades and pay you the difference or just refund your cost and keep the coins altogether.
    David Schweitz
  • Options
    foodudefoodude Posts: 3,552 ✭✭✭
    When you purchased the coins, was the dip residue obvious at that time? If not, and the coins have progressed to where they are now, I would recommend sending the coins to PCGS with a note explaining how the coins have changed in the holders. There is a very good chance that they will fix this for you. A quick warning about this, though, the coins may not redip very nice. In that case, PCGS may decide to not give you the coins back in the original grades and pay you the difference or just refund your cost and keep the coins altogether.

Ditto this recomendation and comments.
    Greg Allen Coins, LLC Show Schedule: https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/573044/our-show-schedule-updated-10-2-16 Authorized dealer for NGC, PCGS, CAC, and QA. Member of PNG, RTT (Founding Platinum Member), FUN, MSNS, and NCBA (formerly ICTA); Life Member of ANA and CSNS. NCBA Board member. "GA3" on CCE.
  • Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I'm 99+% sure they'll say, "Sorry, but we don't dip coins." >>

As a matter of regular practice, they say that, but they do dip coins when warranted for grade guarantee purposes.

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    I proposed this question to DH on the Q & A.
    I believe ALL will be interested to see his reply.imageimage
    Toned coin collector