Home Sports Talk

keep Brown or dump him?

DeutscherGeistDeutscherGeist Posts: 2,990 ✭✭✭✭
I actually like the guy. Reminds me of a David Cone/Dwight Gooden type pitcher. When he is on, he is the best pitcher out there. He reeled off several wins in a row and then got placed on the DL due to some obscure parasite. Really weird. Brown feels bad about smashing his hand and I think that kind of ruined his rythem during late in the season. He needed to be continually pitching after coming off the DL, but he went right back on it again after punching the wall. He was rusty in the playoffs and inconsistent. I know he can pitch, and he is nasty. I want him on the Yanks again. He is very competitive and a fitness freak, so I like that. I think he is good in NY and adjusted well.

Like I said, he started off the year as a pitcher in the running for the CY Young, but the strange parasite infection kept him back for some time. I think next season will be different. He will be healthy and eager to start.
"So many of our DREAMS at first seem impossible, then they seem improbable, and then, when we SUMMON THE WILL they soon become INEVITABLE "- Christopher Reeve

BST: Tennessebanker, Downtown1974, LarkinCollector, nendee

Comments

• CON40CON40 Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭
    I think you are a little deluded regarding "Buster" Brown... first of all at $15M, the Yanks have nowhere to dump him unless they eat the money... and as far as being a fitness freak, many think his workout regimen has resulted in lots of bulging tight muscles that cause his frequent injuries... the guy is friggin huge! Sure, he started hot, but it didn't take long for fatigue and wear and tear to derail him (as it has in 3 of the past 4 years).

Plus, at this point, he is such an emotional head case he can never be trusted to win a meaningful game... in that regard he is nothing like Cone or Gooden... plus he is such a pleasant personality to have in the clubhouse... he makes Billy Martin seem like Jerry Lewis.

It was a bad move on the Yanks part to get him.
  • 1420sports1420sports Posts: 3,473 ✭✭✭
    well said Keith ...

Could it be that the Yankees of the 1980's are resurfacing? George has now gone 4 years without a World Series.
    collecting various PSA and SGC cards
  • Please, please keep him. The Sox can always use a win against the Yankeesimage
    give me liberty or give me death
    my hotelsimage
  • DeutscherGeistDeutscherGeist Posts: 2,990 ✭✭✭✭
    So far, no word on Brown. Hope his hand healed.
    "So many of our DREAMS at first seem impossible, then they seem improbable, and then, when we SUMMON THE WILL they soon become INEVITABLE "- Christopher Reeve

• << <i>Please, please keep him. The Sox can always use a win against the Yankeesimage >>

• perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,345 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Did anyone of you notice how Fustered he was when the Sox tossed him like a salad? The guy is a CHOKER who is overpaid, looks like Steinbrenner would have had more fun with his 15 million flushing it.
  • DirtyHarryDirtyHarry Posts: 1,914 ✭✭
    I don't think they should keep him, but they can't dump him unless they can pull off some money magic similar to the Arod contract. He's not the guy you want as the ace of the staff. I see them trying to move him, unsucessfully, with the best chance of moving him about midway through the season to a contender. Or, maybe they could trade him to the Mets. image
    "A man's got to know his limitations...." Dirty Harry

Unfocused, impulsive collector of everything ...
  • DeutscherGeistDeutscherGeist Posts: 2,990 ✭✭✭✭
    I am surprised at how many are anti-Brown. I guess he really did tarnish his image. The NY media will make mountains out of mole hills. I think because Brown is new, it is easier to pick on him.
    What if he keeps a low profile, works hard and gets ready for next season. He will get a string of victories and do it with style and grit and perhaps NY will warm up to him more. He can be redeemed.
    There are a lot of jerks out there, but Brown does not fit into that category. He made a mistake--a misjudgement. I think not having him 100% really did the Yankees in as he was not there when they really needed a win from him against the Red Sox. He was not happy about it. He regrets punching the wall. He really did not want to cause the team harm. He made a terrible decision in the heat of the moment.
    I am willing to give him another chance.
    Its going to be hard to get rid of him, so might as well make the best of the situation and reconcile with him. I hope Brown continues to show how sorry he is and makes efforts to smooth things out---if he does that, it will prove a start in the right path.

Best to Brown and the Yankees!!!

• I always thought Brown was a real good pitcher. His biggest problem is injuries. He's also not as good as he used to be. If he could stay healthy, I wouldn't mind seeing him in a Mets uniform. But only if they could cut his salary in half!