Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

It's hard to believe but ...

...an ICG slabbed nickel (1881) just crossed and upgraded. Went from Proof 66 to Proof 66 Cameo at PCGS.

When you see something like this, you begin to sense how wonderfully complex our hobby is. I mean I won't even consider bidding on an ICG slab on eBay and/or Teletrade because I've found their slabs so often absurdly overgraded. And then, something like this comes along, and how do you make sense of that?

My hat's off to Warren Mills (Rare Coins of New Hampshire) who picked it up for me on the cheap (because of the ICG slab) and then crossed it (no added charge).

Enjoy

Just Having Fun
Jefferson nickels, Standing Libs, and US-Philippines rock

Comments

• Options
    MoneyLAMoneyLA Posts: 1,825
    Very interesting. I'd love to see some statistics on ICG crossovers-- up, down, no. do they exist? cheers, alan mendelson
  • Options
    onlyroosiesonlyroosies Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭✭
    I have seen some nice coins in the early ICG holders. Very hard to find today since most ICG
    coins have been cherry picked through. Most of whats left is the trash.
  • Options
    haletjhaletj Posts: 2,192
    I had an icg ms63rb 26-s Lincoln Cent upgraded to ms64rb by pcgs. ICG does a good job or is even slightly tough on ms60-ms64 coins. My icg 65rd 11-d though went to pcgs 64rd (It's for sale if anyone wants to pm me!).
  • Options
    rainbowroosierainbowroosie Posts: 4,874 ✭✭✭✭
    How about PCI 67 to NGC 68*??image
    "You keep your 1804 dollar and 1822 half eagle -- give me rainbow roosies in MS68."
    rainbowroosie April 1, 2003
  • Options
    I'm not familiar with how ICG does on on the mid-range unc's, but on the higher grades, If I buy an ICG slab, I'll always assume down at least one point and bid accordingly. I have a lovely 1924 Standing Liberty Quarter in MS 68 (PCGS) that I got at a good price because it was in an ICG 69 holder.

Enjoy!

Just Having Fun!
    Jefferson nickels, Standing Libs, and US-Philippines rock