Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

This is the best time of the year

Don't you just love this time of the year. There are auctions everywhere. Hunt Auctions, Lelands, Grey Flannel, Mile High, Memory Lane, Vintage Authentics are going on right now with Mastro's and American Memorabilia auctions just ended with new ones starting up within a couple of weeks.

I would have to hit the lottery to be able to afford all of the stuff out there that I want from these auctions.

What one item would you choose from these auctions if money and reselling was not a factor? Just something to pick up and put in your collection for years to come.

I am pretty fond of the Honus Wagner game used bat in the Vintage Authentics auction. Hunt Auctions has a very nice signed game used Joe Jackson bat so choosing between the two is pretty tough. I am also sure Mastros will have some pretty nice things in their auction in a couple of weeks.

Comments

• The Wagner Bat in the Vintage Authentics auction comes to mind. I wouldn't mind having the Black Betsy either but there is one thing that worries me about that bat. It was graded an SCDA 10 which means there should be provenance that directly links it to the player (ie. from a family member, team mate, etc.). However, there was know mention of it in the description. You would think that would be a huge selling point. Also wouldn't mind having the Joe Louis fight used/signed gloves, "Big O" Cincinatti Royals GU jersey, or the Bobby Orr GU jersey. That's not too much to ask for is it! image

Scott
    Registry Sets:
    T-205 Gold PSA 4 & up
    1967 Topps BB PSA 8 & up
    1975 Topps BB PSA 9 & up
    1959 Topps FB PSA 8 & up
    1976 Topps FB PSA 9 & up
    1981 Topps FB PSA 10
    1976-77 Topps BK PSA 9 & up
    1988-89 Fleer BK PSA 10
    3,000 Hit Club RC PSA 5 & Up

My Sets
  • mudflap02mudflap02 Posts: 2,060 ✭✭
    Hopefully Santa will bring me any one of the first four lots of the Memory Lane Auction. image

Also, had never seen the Cracker Jack Home Run Baker card before I got that catalog, but it's rising on my "cards to own one day" list. I love getting those catalogs - even if I've never placed a bid in my life! More mailing lists please - it gives me something to read on the pot.
  • Yeah, I am not sure why Vintage Authentics did not mention anything about the provenance behind the Wagner bat as that would be key to most if not all bidders. Provenance is everything with dealing with game used material especially with something of that magnitude.
  • jrdolanjrdolan Posts: 2,549 ✭✭
    These catalogs remind me of the Swiss Colony catalogs my family received when I was a kid. I knew we weren't going to buy anything from them, but they made for many an hour of wistful drooling!

Come to think of it, I may have done that with a Frederick's of Hollywood catalog that got sent to our house by mistake.
  • Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I wouldn't mind having the Black Betsy either >>

Scott
    What is amazing, also, is how much these items have increased in price over the last 20 years of exchanging hands! In fact that is one of the things that everyone has regrets about: why didn't I try to afford a certain item in 1988 since in 2004 it is way farther out of my reach. E.g. in 1988, I could have purchased a nice Ruth ball for like 2 grand and I thought that was way too much - now it is like 20 grand for the same ball! I have a friend who bought one at the 92 National for 2200$ - and I thought that was too much cash - if he were to put it up today - if the bidding was right, I will guess between 15 and 20 grand.
    your friend
    Mike
    Mike
  • Stone 193,

Does that mean that we should buy now and wait for yet another whopping increase in value 10-15 years from now? image

My guess, in 20 years I'll be saying, "hindsight is 20/20" as well! (unless, of course, I have a lucky run at the tables or Sports Book!! image)

Scott
    Registry Sets:
    T-205 Gold PSA 4 & up
    1967 Topps BB PSA 8 & up
    1975 Topps BB PSA 9 & up
    1959 Topps FB PSA 8 & up
    1976 Topps FB PSA 9 & up
    1981 Topps FB PSA 10
    1976-77 Topps BK PSA 9 & up
    1988-89 Fleer BK PSA 10
    3,000 Hit Club RC PSA 5 & Up

My Sets

• << <i>I have a friend who bought one at the 92 National for 2200$ - and I thought that was too much cash - if he were to put it up today - if the bidding was right, I will guess between 15 and 20 grand.
    your friend
    Mike >>

Wow, I didn't know these were that high now. I got one at the 90 or 91 National for under $1000. I guess that proves your theory about these just going up and up.
    I am looking for Nolan Ryan cards, esp. OPC and rare oddball issues, graded or not. Also I need quite a few 1956 Topps, PSA 6 or higher

Current Sets in Progress:
    1956 Topps Master Set PSA 6 or better
    1978 Topps PSA 9 or 10
    1981 Donruss Golf PSA 9 or 10
    1989 Upper Deck PSA 9 or 10
    Nolan Ryan Master Set
    Pete Rose Master Set

• << <i>Stone 193,

Does that mean that we should buy now and wait for yet another whopping increase in value 10-15 years from now? image
    Scott >>

I am pulling 88 score and donruss commons out right now.
  • Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I am pulling 88 score and donruss commons out right now. >>

Mike