Options

Will the Yankees get Pedro ?

Most Yankee fans in New Jersey are
LOATHING the fact that George Steinbrenner
has privately admitted that HE WANTS Pedro Martinez
next year.

The Yankee fans HATE him.
The Yankee players HATE him.

Do you think he will end up with the club ?

Comments

• Options
    But will they really hate him if he's a yankee? I think if he comes in and wins 18+ games and gets them to the series,Yankee fans will "forget" they hated him.image
  • Options
    mikeschmidtmikeschmidt Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭
    he will want big money - and he has a nagging injury that is basically unfixable. Please, Yankees, take him
    I am actively buying MIKE SCHMIDT gem mint baseball cards. Also looking for any 19th century cabinets of Philadephia Nationals. Please PM with additional details.
  • Options
    ctsoxfanctsoxfan Posts: 6,246 ✭✭
    No way - I don't want to see him go. He is a fixture on this team, and his post-season performances were classic Pedro. Yanks of course will drive up his price, but I am betting we resign him.

Oh, and forget this "we hate him" crap - if he joins the Evil Empire, watch how fast Yankee fans add Pedro jerseys to their A-Fraud jerseys...
  • Options
    DeutscherGeistDeutscherGeist Posts: 2,990 ✭✭✭✭
    The Yankees don't need Pedro, they just need a very good pitcher or two. They can get David Wells, Randy Johnson or Carl Pavano. In hindsight, they should have gotten Greg Maddux or Tom Glavine when they had the chance.
    "So many of our DREAMS at first seem impossible, then they seem improbable, and then, when we SUMMON THE WILL they soon become INEVITABLE "- Christopher Reeve

BST: Tennessebanker, Downtown1974, LarkinCollector, nendee
  • Options
    1420sports1420sports Posts: 3,473 ✭✭✭
    Pavano will go to the Sox.
    collecting various PSA and SGC cards
  • Options
    Gemmy10Gemmy10 Posts: 2,990
    Pavano grew up in Connecticut a Red Sox fan. He has said that he wants to go to the Sox and not the Yankees but do they really need him if they keep Lowe and Pedro. Lowe pitched darned good in the playoffs.
  • Options
    1420sports1420sports Posts: 3,473 ✭✭✭
    Always room for pitching ...
    collecting various PSA and SGC cards
  • Options
    Gemmy10Gemmy10 Posts: 2,990
    <<Will the Yankees get Pedro?>>

I hope not. The Yankees don't need to buy their own offspring.
  • Options
    OK, I am convinced. Pavano is not going to be a Yankee. I had no idea he had that kind of tie to the Red Sox. It is actually good that he is going to the Red Sox. the Red Sox don't have much home grown talent nor team members with Boston roots. The Red Sox should try looking less like mercenaries for a change.
    "So many of our DREAMS at first seem impossible, then they seem improbable, and then, when we SUMMON THE WILL they soon become INEVITABLE "- Christopher Reeve

• Options
    [hypocrisy] The Red Sox should try looking less like mercenaries for a change. [/hypocrisy]

• Options
    I knew a Sox fan would come and say that.
    Look at the facts and reality, not your perception.
    The Red sox have two home growns and one player native to Boston. That's it as far as starters go.

The Yankees have more home growns: Jeter, Williams, Rivera, Posada and I am not even counting the New York natives.
    For all that call Yankees mercenaries, Look at your own teams and see what the reality is. ALL BASEBALL TEAMS ARE MERCENARIES more or less

• Options
    I understand your point - but it just sounds like sour grapes to me.

Who really cares that the Yanks have "4 homegrown players" and the Sox have only "2"? There are 40 players on a team, so its obvious that neither, or any team for that matter, has a significant number of players that come from their own farm systems. Free agency makes that pretty much impossible. What is significant is the size of the actual payroll - $194 Million for the Yanks (and sure to keep going up), vs. $128 Million for the Sox. That's almost $70 Million dollars higher - or, more than the entire payroll of many other MLB teams!

One could argue that the only reason the Sox had to spend what they spent was to stay competitive with New York.
  • Options
    I remember this....

Chris Knuckles' Nilan.....Boston bred homeboy, playing for the HATED, LOATHED, DESPISED, SPIT ON Montreal Canadiens...Nilan is hated every bit as much, if not MORE than Les Habs...punching the lights out of every player he could get his hands on....thorwing so many lefts, his opponents begged him for a right....Bruins fans attending games in the Garden pretty much had nooses under their jackets should they run into him ANYWHERE. THEN, time goes on....'Knuckles' lands in a Bruins uniform...and BOY, didnt the Bruins faithful just LOVE him.....same will go for Pedro in New York....start calling him Petey Pinstripes.....
    'My name is...... Shakezula, the mic rulah, the old schoola, you wanna trip, I'll bring it to ya.....'