Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

Red Sox Win red Sox Win!!!!!!!!!!!!

I've been waiting 50 years for this!!!!! How Sweet it is!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comments

• Options
    pcpc Posts: 743
    congrats!
    imageimageimage
    Money is your ticket to freedom.
  • Options
    SOMSOM Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭
    I actually think it's kind of sad. Now the Red Sox are just another big-budget, high-revenue team. Just like the...well, not tonight, anyway!

Congrats!
  • Options
    I have been waiting 60 yrs!
    email address: alohaet@hotmail.com
  • Options
    jaxxrjaxxr Posts: 1,258 ✭✭
    Cool !!!

The AL won the inter-leauge play in the regular season, the All-star game, and now sweep the NL in the series !!

I hope Teddy Ballgame could somehow enjoy this Redsox team.

This aint no party,... this aint no disco,.. this aint no fooling around.
  • Options
    8 post season wins in a row! Plowed through the Stankees! Ending on a shut-out!

What a ride.

cheers
    minibeers
    1966T, 1971T, 1972T raw and in 8s
    1963T Dodgers in 8s
    Pre-war Brooklyn 5s or higher
  • Options
    I never believed in curses,
    but here's why I may believe just a little.

The Curse of the Bambino, who wore #3
    was ended by Edgar Renteria (who wears
    number 3) grounding out to end the game.

The final score of last nights game was 3-0.

Coupled with the fact that the Red Sox beat
    Babe's Yanks in a way that has never been done
    before, gives me a little bit of the creeps.
  • Options
    gameusedhoopgameusedhoop Posts: 3,543 ✭✭✭
    Mark, it was the 3rd time that the Sox and Cards met in the WS, and I believe Derek Lowe went 3-0 in the Playoffs also.
  • Options
    The curse of the Bambino
    started in 1918.

The Red Sox last loss in this years
    playoffs to the Yankees was 19-8. One digit off.
  • Options
    jimtbjimtb Posts: 704 ✭✭
    The Red Sox starting pitchers never gave up a run to the best hitting team in the NL - an amazing stat.
    Collecting all graded Alan Trammell graded cards as well as graded 1984 Topps, Donruss, and Fleer Detroit Tigers
  • Options
    sixdartsixdart Posts: 821 ✭✭
    If it weren't for the new playoff system, Boston wouldn't have had this wonderful opportunity ... hats off to Bud Selig! It seems that baseball is back now. The 2001 & recent back-to-back World Series playoffs have been very exciting! And, this comes from a hardcore football fan.
  • Options

As a Cubs fan, I'm very happy for the Red Sox, it shows that the misery can come to an end eventually! image

The Cardinals getting swept, priceless! image

Scott J.
  • Options
    Scott - My sentiments exactly.

I just saw an interesting article that noted, with the continued success of wild card teams winning championships, just think how many second place teams of the past might have become world champions if they had the wild card system then.

Where did the Cardinals Big 3 go???? And I wonder if that was the last we see of LaRussa as Cardinals manager.

• Options
    Keith,

I think Pujols hit .333 for the series, but didn't hit any homeruns.

Rolen basically came back to earth, because he was playing way over his head all year.

Edmonds, probably should have kept on bunting because I think that's the only contact he ever made all
    series.

The Red Sox just pitched these guys perfectly and alot of teams so take note of what they did.

As for weepy LaRussa, I doubt he wants to go out as a manager like this, but I never liked him in the
    first place because he managed the White Sux.

Scott J.
  • Options
    helionauthelionaut Posts: 1,555 ✭✭
    Rolen was 0-fer-the-series. Even if he did have a career year, no one would have ever imagined him going completely hitless. He was up in a couple scoring situations, too, so he could've made a difference. After that epic Yankees series, though, I'm sure the Sox would've found a way to win.
    WANTED:
    2005 Origins Old Judge Brown #/20 and Black 1/1s, 2000 Ultimate Victory Gold #/25
    2004 UD Legends Bake McBride autos & parallels, and 1974 Topps #601 PSA 9
    Rare Grady Sizemore parallels, printing plates, autographs

Nothing on ebay
  • Options
    mikeschmidtmikeschmidt Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Rolen was 0-fer-the-series. Even if he did have a career year, no one would have ever imagined him going completely hitless. He was up in a couple scoring situations, too, so he could've made a difference. After that epic Yankees series, though, I'm sure the Sox would've found a way to win. >>

Perhaps Rolen has the Curse of Mike Schmidt. Some people are reluctant to remember that Schmitty was 1-20 in the 1983 WS....

~ms
    I am actively buying MIKE SCHMIDT gem mint baseball cards. Also looking for any 19th century cabinets of Philadephia Nationals. Please PM with additional details.
  • Options
    BugOnTheRugBugOnTheRug Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭
    Boston used a very unconventional strategy, known as the 'slingshot effect'. It works like this:

1) All backs must be totally against the wall. Compressed. No wiggle-room. No way out but forward.
    2) Invite D. Ortiz to pull the cord back as far as it will go.
    3) Load the entire team in the holder.
    4) Dave then lets go, while hanging on.
    5) Team busts thru NY at Boston, then heads south thru NYC, then hangs a sweeping right that enables the team to zoom past STL.

Congrats Boston!!!!!!!

BOTR
  • Options
    Congratulations Beantown!
    You deserve every bit of it.
    Drink a beer for me.

Ben

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Rolen was 0-fer-the-series. Even if he did have a career year, no one would have ever imagined him going completely hitless. He was up in a couple scoring situations, too, so he could've made a difference. After that epic Yankees series, though, I'm sure the Sox would've found a way to win. >>

Perhaps Rolen has the Curse of Mike Schmidt. Some people are reluctant to remember that Schmitty was 1-20 in the 1983 WS....

~ms >>

Marc, Do you remember who was batting cleanup behind Schmitty?
    It's a wonder he got one hit.......

Dave
  • Options
    Congrats to Boston...

but lets face it, that was the worst World Series in the last 50 years- just horrible to watch, not entertaining at all, and unexciting to the point of pure boredom. In fact, I almost fell asleep in the seventh inning last night. Thats right- I love baseball, love the Curse of the Bambino, but unfortunately yawned all the way through the last three innings. A disappointment!

St. Louis was an embarrassment to the baseball establishment.

Thank god the Yankees are around to keep the game of baseball interesting!

• Options
    SOMSOM Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭
    Dave - wasn't it Gary Matthews?

Nick
  • Options

<< <i>Dave - wasn't it Gary Matthews?

Nick >>

Nick, They had 3 different Players in 5 games:
    Sixto Lezcano 1 games
    Joe Lefebvre 2 games
    Garry Mattews 2 games

Dave
  • Options

<< <i>Congrats to Boston...

but lets face it, that was the worst World Series in the last 50 years- just horrible to watch, not entertaining at all, and unexciting to the point of pure boredom. In fact, I almost fell asleep in the seventh inning last night. Thats right- I love baseball, love the Curse of the Bambino, but unfortunately yawned all the way through the last three innings. A disappointment!

St. Louis was an embarrassment to the baseball establishment.

Thank god the Yankees are around to keep the game of baseball interesting! >>

I agree that World Series was the most boring in recent memory. I rooted for the Cardinals (NL man) and they just flat didn't show up. None of the games had any drama whatsoever. Seemed to have so much potential beforehand with two franchises with great tradition. Wonder if we will ever have a Diamondback vs. Devil Rays World Series? Hopefully not anytime soon.
    Collecting vintage material, currently working on 1962 topps football set.
  • Options
    Boring??!! No Drama??!!
    While the 1st game was not great baseball, it was hardly boring. The Sox certainly put an offensive charge into the game to get things rolling and it was no real shock to see the Cardinals chip away at the Red Sox lead. 3 lead changes late in the game. Bellhorn's game winning HR was certainly dramatic.

Schillings gutsy performance in game 2 was amazing. [I didn't need to see the bloody sock quite so much]. If that wasn't drama, what do you want? The Red Sox scored all 6 runs with 2 outs in the inning and no HR. Clutch hitting isn't exciting? After the 1st game, a 6 to 2 lead hardly seemed like a big lead. The Cards can score runs in bunches off the best pitchers.

Game 3 saw Pedro throw the best game I've seen him throw in quite some. He was brilliant against some of the top hitters in the game. Again, all of the Sox runs were scored with 2 out clutch hitting.

Game 4 saw Loew do exactly what Scilling & Pedro had done. Nixon's 2 RBI double was another 2 out hit.
    Ortiz, Ramirez & Damon all hit 1st inning home runs to set the tone, but it was clutch hitting up and down the Red Sox order that provided the excitement.

It wasn't that the Cardinal bats didn't show up, they were shut down in games 2-4 by one of the best pitching performances by a staff that I have seen recently in the WS.

Finally, it was looking at the whole playoff picture for the Red Sox. A sweep to open. Down to the last out against the Yanks, and then 4 in a row. IT'S NEVER BEEN DONE IN BASEBALL BEFORE!!! On to the WS and a 4 game sweep to make 8games in a row. IT'S NEVER BEEN DONE IN BASEBALL BEFORE!!!
    The playoffs & WS were a total team effort the likes of which I have never seen. Every player made a valuable contribution. If Roberts doesn't steal 2nd, it's over. If Wakefield doesn't suck up the innings in the 19 to 8 blowout, Lowe doesn't start. Look at the composite box score and see what a team effort these wins were.
  • Options
    I'm with ya all the way Greg. I now have to look for another reason to live image

Where the heck in murcerfan hiding when I need him?

There is a fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness"
  • Options
    Isn't the fact that Spring Training is only 3 months away reason enough! It will be interesting to see what changes are made on all of the teams. I think that this season illustrates that team chemistry is not over rated. It's hard to think about not keeping the Red Sox intact, but changes are inevitable. Free agency will take some toll. [Signing Tek is number 1 prioity!] Even in the old days, winning teams did not stand pat from one season to another. There is always room for improvement. The winter should prove very interesting as talent moves around.