Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

eBay sellers: Can I get some advice?

I have a few questions that I was hoping I could get some advice on or answers to.

1) What would be a fair cost to charge for shipping on a lot of 200+ PSA slabbed cards?

2) If a buyer sends you payment via PayPal, can you have PayPal send you that money in the form of a check or once it's in your PayPal account that is where it must stay?

3) If a buyer sends you payment via personal check on a substantially priced item, how long do you wait for the check to clear and how do you know when it does clear?

I'm fairly new to the art of selling on eBay and I thank you in advance for your help.

Comments

• Options
    Porkchopper4- welcome to the world of selling. image

a good estimate for the lot: weigh them together and add about 2#s for packing... it'll vary between shipping zone and carrier, so you might either get an estimate from USPS and/or UPS or FedEx and list a range or the high end to make sure.

I haven't used PayPal recently but you will verify a bank account, and you can have it directly transfered into that or get a check...transfer ill be faster.

i usually hold a good $ check for 2 weeks, some might tell you otherwise, but i think that'll cover the week usual and then a few extra days to make sure.

• Options
    Welcome to the boards!

1) Ditto wlf3.

2) It is best to transfer it to your bank account. To have them cut you a check takes MUCH longer and there is a fee for that.

3) I typically wait 7-10 business days. Federal Law just passed this week which effectively eliminates lead time for checks. It is all electronic and their check should clear within 24-48 hours of the deposit (depending on the deposit time). I'm still insisting on a wait time for checks though.

Hope this helps!!! image

Scott
    Registry Sets:
    T-205 Gold PSA 4 & up
    1967 Topps BB PSA 8 & up
    1975 Topps BB PSA 9 & up
    1959 Topps FB PSA 8 & up
    1976 Topps FB PSA 9 & up
    1981 Topps FB PSA 10
    1976-77 Topps BK PSA 9 & up
    1988-89 Fleer BK PSA 10
    3,000 Hit Club RC PSA 5 & Up

My Sets
  • Options
    milbrocomilbroco Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭
    Hello,

#1 - Not sure

#2 - I have the money transferred to my bank account and when it hits the bank I make the withdrawl so paypal cannot take it back for whatever reason. The account I use is a separate account and bank from my personal regular bank.

#3 - I wait about 10 days. Before making the deposit, make a photocopy of the check. You can bring the copy to your bank a few days later and have them call the bank the check is drawn on to see if the check is being paid and not being returned for some reason.

Good Luck

Bob
    ebay seller name milbroco
    email bcmiller7@comcast.net
  • Options
    gameusedhoopgameusedhoop Posts: 3,544 ✭✭✭
    1. I sent 500 slabs in one package, weighed just about 50 lbs., figure 20 lbs for your package. Here is a link to calculate postage through the USPS: Postage Calculations You will need the weight (see #1) and then just pick your services insurance, etc.. Anything over $800 in value is more cost efficient if sent registered with insurance, if sending registered the package (box) must have all seams sealed with paper tape, make sure there isn't a wax coating on the tape as it must be postmarked whereever tape and box meet.

2. Tranfer to your bank account.

3. Just check you bank account online or via phone, they will tell you your balance (full amount), and also available funds, if the amounts match you check has cleared. Or, ask the buyer what bank the check is drawn on, if it is a national bank such as Fleet, you can cash it at any branch directly out of his account, you don't need your own account, just a couple of forms of ID.
  • Options
    Thank you for all of your help. It will help me a great deal.