Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

Congrats Frank B. on a huge 1972 Addition - Still the KING!

Frank:

Super upgrade to your 72 set - looks like a pick up of 79 more PSA 10's - 165 or so total - that's over 20% of the set perfect! By far, still the undisputed king of the 72's. Look's like under 40 PSA8's still to upgrade. Congrats on the 9.16 GPA!
Dave
1973 Topps PSA 9's+(retired)
1986 Topps PSA Perfect(active)
1997 Flair Legacy's(active)

Comments

• Options
    Congrats, Frank! Super accomplishment! My paltry 8.27 GPA is but a pale shadow of your lofty achievement!

Steve
  • Options
    Guess I have to swap all my 9s for 10s now...should be fun! EO
  • Options
    Frank,
    You have the 72' set by which all 70's sets can be measured. You have amazing focus considering all the opportunities this great hobby throws at you to diversify. You've kept at it despite lofty and spirited and friendly competition. Not only is this a 787 card behemoth, but to maintain a steady pace of upgrade to establish ever rising GPA levels of this sort are quite "Frankly" astounding! Pun intended :-)
    Hats off!
    My warmest congrats!
    RayBShotz
    Never met a Vintage card I didn't like!
  • Options
    Frank, Are you kidding me? 9.16 G.P.A.? Holy crap! I never thought that I would see the day when you had a .26 lead on Olander. Both of your sets are incredible but your is a masterpiece. Once again you have shown why you are called "The Great Frank Bakka". Congrats! Neil
  • Options
    FBFB Posts: 1,684 ✭✭
    C'mon guys...

You're makin me blush... All I did was get out the checkbook a time or two over the last few months. I was able to snag some 10's when Chris Renaud's set was broken up and I nabbed a few more when Mike Ledin broke up his set. And then there was the great 72 10's rush of 2004.

Its been fun...

Dave - you're dead-balls-on the money with your counts. 165 PSA 10's and I believe that I need to upgrade 39 more PSA 8's. The 8's to 9's are comin, but the don't seem to be coming fast enough (or cheap enough...) so it may be a while before I close in on 100% in 9's and 10's.

There have a been a lot a folks that have been very helpful over the last year or so. Sending emails with offers for PSA 9's and 10's that I've needed. And I want to thank you all - you know who you are.

Up until last week I figured that I had a shot at best Modern Baseball again. But, after seeing downgoesfrazier's 77 set. I may have to settle for being a bridesmaid. This is what makes this registry a blast!

Thanks again for the kudos. And I hope to update the comments and add photos of the 10's down the road as well.

Frank
    Frank Bakka
    Sets - 1970, 1971 and 1972
    Always looking for 1972 O-PEE-CHEE Baseball in PSA 9 or 10!

lynnfrank@earthlink.net
    outerbankyank on eBay!
  • Options
    frank- as i mentioned before you are the "godfather" of the 72 set registry. truly a remarkable achievement.

alot of activity at the top of the registry......i'm always willing to pick up the crumbs......thanks guys!
  • Options
    gemintgemint Posts: 6,069 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great job Frank! If you're not careful, you may end up with a Spinal Tap set. In other words, your set rating may go to 11!
  • Options
    FBFB Posts: 1,684 ✭✭
    It should also be mentioned that while I still sit atop the 72 heap - that Dave Read has made the greatest strides over the past year. His set was complete last year at this time too. But, I'm betting that he has jumped from around 8.25 to almost 8.70 in these last few months.

A remarkable achievement. ESPECIALLY for someone gearing up to pay for college shortly!
    Frank Bakka
    Sets - 1970, 1971 and 1972
    Always looking for 1972 O-PEE-CHEE Baseball in PSA 9 or 10!

lynnfrank@earthlink.net
    outerbankyank on eBay!
  • Options
    Yes, that is truly a feat to be recognized...now do I go for 9.50, I'll let u good folks decide. Let the games begin. EO
  • Options
    Frank

The 1972 Set on 1/4/04

FB - 8.96 100% 8.95
    EJ - 8.43 100% 8.43
    DR - 8.19 100% 8.19
    Watergate 8.03 99.24% 7.97
    Olander 9.03 86.40% 7.90

Don't ask how I know this about a set I don't even buy. Oh well, maybe there is a compulsive statistics gene somewhere.

Greg

Buying 1964 PSA 9 Baseball
  • Options
    eo- i think the highest rating possible for the 72 set is 9.47. in any event it's a daunting task.