Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

PCGS Grading - Bulk Discount???

Ever since I became a PCGS member a year ago, I have always wondered if this question has ever popped up on these boards for discussion (I'm positive it probably has).

HAS PCGS EVER CONSIDERED GIVING COLLECTORS/MEMBERS/DEALERS A DISCOUNT FOR SUBMITTING COINS IN BULK?

Over the last five years, I have built a fairly high grade set of Lincoln Cents dating back to 1937. All of which are housed in Whitman 2x2's. I would love to have these coins slabbed by PCGS one day...so that I could enter them as a registry set. However, taking the hit on $12/coin right now....is really not worth it to me. We're talking close to $800 just to get 1937-1958 slabbed.

Any thoughts??????

Comments

• Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭
    Collectors have always been able to do bulk submissions. It's a minimum of 100 coins, but there are specific rules about same year/type. Not sure of the precise rules, but what you've outlined would not qualify. Bulk rate is $8 per coin and you can specify a minimum grade. As long as the percentage not graded stays below a certain level, there is no charge for the NG's. If it goes above a certain level, it's $5 a coin.

One of the dealers will need to fill in some specifics, but that's the basic program.

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    Russ,

Can anyone submit on the bulk deal? If so, that's GREAT news. I thought only authorized dealers could do that? image
  • Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭
    Collector's Club members can also, as long as it's a paid membership (gold or platinum) not a silver.

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    COOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL image
  • Options
    They charge more for coins that hit MS67 and above. For the Jeffs I sent in it was $12 for an MS67, and I think there may be a higher rate for higher grades than MS67. With the coins I sent in I would have gladly paid whatever the MS68 price was, but if you are sending in SAE's it may not be so great.
  • Options
    Steve27Steve27 Posts: 13,274 ✭✭✭
    I wonder what kind of deal Tulving gets, I bet he submits thousands of coins.
    "It's far easier to fight for principles, than to live up to them." Adlai Stevenson
  • Options
    Thanks for everyone's input. Does anyone know if the bulk submission information is posted on the PCGS website? How do I get specifics on this? Submission limits, charges for MS 67 and higher....etc.????

Toby
  • Options
    BoomBoom Posts: 10,165
    Here are the specifics as given to me via email several moths ago, straight from the proverbial horse's mouth.

HOW TO SUBMIT FOR BULKS:
    1. YOU NEED A MINIMUM OF 100 COINS PER INVOICE.
    2. NO MORE THAN 4 DIFFERENT DATES, DENOM, & MINT MARK.
    3. YOU NEED ONE MINIMUM GRADE FOR YOUR COINS.
    4. IF 60% OF YOUR COINS DO NOT MEET YOUR MINIMUM GRADE, A $5 REJECT FEE WILL BE PUT ON YOUR ORDER.
    THAT MEANS THAT $5 WILL BE CHARGED FOR EVERY COIN IN THE ORDER. THIS IS DUE TO THE FACT THAT THE GRADER STILL TOOK TIME TO LOOK AT EVERY COIN.

5. NOW IF 60% OF YOUR COINS DO MAKE YOUR MINIMUM GRADE, THE MINIMUM CHARGE OF A COIN IS $8.
    THAT DOES NOT MEAN THAT IT WILL BE $8 FOR EVERY COIN. THE PRICES IN BULK DEPEND ON THE GRADE OF THE COIN AND WHAT KIND OF A COIN IT IS.

6. NOW THE 60% THAT DID MAKE YOUR MINIMUM GRADE, THOSE COINS WILL BE THE ONLY ONES THAT WILL BE CHARGED. THE ONES THAT DID NOT MAKE IT, NO CHARGE WILL BE PUT ON THOSE COINS.

7. YOU NEED TO BE A DEALER OR A COLLECTOR CLUB MEMBER IN ORDER TO SUBMIT BULK.
    8. IF YOU HAVE ANY QUESTIONS PLEASE GIVE ME A CALL.

**** WHEN YOU SHIP THE COINS, CAN YOU PLEASE PUT ATTN: BULK ON THE OUTSIDE OF THE BOX. THANK YOU

• Options
    Thanks BOOM. So, I guess submitting my 1937-1958 PDS Lincolns is out of the question. That would exceed more than 4 diff. dates. Any idea WHY they limit it to 4 diff. dates???????????

See, this is what I'm talking about. IMHO, PCGS is losing out BIG TIME here. Collectors like me cannot submit a slew of coins (in my case it would be 60-70) without taking a huge hit. I don't have 100 coins to submit. Hmmmmmm. Just frustrated...thats all.

Thanks everyone..

T
  • Options
    BoomBoom Posts: 10,165
    I know the feeling and I'll bet a lot of other collectors do as well!image
  • Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,305 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I hear your pain and I agree it would be nice.
    But, given that PCGS has more business than they can handle, I don't think relief is forthcoming for you.
    If their turnaround times were more reasonable and they had graders with spare time on their hands, then maybe they would; but they don't image

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options
    thats a min of 100 coins and at least 25 coins of same date and mint. hope this helps.
  • Options
    haletjhaletj Posts: 2,192
    Enjoy your coins in the Whitman holders. Did you know thye fit nicely into Eagle holder pages? Here's my set. I was thinking about a bulk order with pcgs with my duplicates, but then again, how am I going to sell 25 70-s Lincolns or 25 74-p's in any reasonable amount of time. I can't tie up that much money in grading fees.