Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Northeast has an amazing James II Halfcrown

Would love to own this one. Text

Comments

• Options
    laurentyvanlaurentyvan Posts: 4,243 ✭✭✭
    Only a $500 BIN premium-what a deal!image

This one has been nurtured for a few hundred years in amazing shape-quite an accomplishment...

One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics
    is that you end up being governed by inferiors. – Plato
  • Options
    CIVITASCIVITAS Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭
    Mint state??!!!!??!?!? image

They're kidding right? It's a beautiful and choice coin, but I can't believe that is a mint state coin based on the scan. Why are all the high points dull grey and the fields have obvious handling in comparison to the protected areas of the coin?
    https://www.civitasgalleries.com

New coins listed monthly!

Josh Moran

CIVITAS Galleries, Ltd.
  • Options
    AskariAskari Posts: 3,713
    Well, Python, maybe you can go to them directly and "steal" it with a counter-offer of only $6999! imageimage

Actually, I tend to agree with Josh. I know scanners are lousy at catching luster and NEN's pics aren't the best in the world, but it looks more like light rub than a softness in strike to me. It is a lovely specimen, though, and I doubt you'd find much better in a higher grade.
    Askari

Come on over ... to The Dark Side! image
  • Options

<< <i>Well, Python, maybe you can go to them directly and "steal" it with a counter-offer of only $6999! >>

I'm afraid they would have to take off another $6000 and let me do a layaway.

Do you really think PCGS might be wrong?
  • Options
    MacCrimmonMacCrimmon Posts: 7,054 ✭✭✭
    Without seeing the actual coin it is very difficult to really tell, but I would presume these will follow the course of 'market graded' bust halves over time; i.e., exceptional AU58s will advance to the MS62-63 level.
  • Options
    MacCrimmonMacCrimmon Posts: 7,054 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Do you really think PCGS might be wrong? >>

Yes. After seeing most of the Terner material, it's possible. The main rub to understand is that PCGS really hasn't seen 1% of the universe of high grade early milled English coins. They will get better with experience and guidance from the true UK "pros", but, IMO it will take time.
  • Options
    Terry

eBay Store

DPOTD Jan 2005, Meet the Darksiders
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,798 ✭✭✭✭✭
    For James II, finding an example that is free of haymarking is difficult and I suspect that is the reason for the grade and reserve. This coin in this condition is an extreme rarity

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.