Home Q & A Forum
Options

A new service to accommodate me, and I'm sure a few others

lavalava Posts: 3,286 ✭✭✭
David, I once asked if PCGS would consider designating au prooflikes, and I think your gracious reply was along the lines that you did not think the demand would warrant that. Fair enough.

I would nevertheless like to invite PCGS to provide this option, and for the inconvenience of this special service, to charge extra for it. So, maybe a $30 submission gets bumped to $45. Let me briefly explain the need for this service.

I am trying to complete a pl/dmpl set of Morgans, and on a budget. (Insert laughter after "budget.") Take an 1895-o. At PCGS, I'd need to go ms60pl, and according to the price guide, that's $13,000. I already have a sweet au55pl in an NGC slab, which is listed at their registry, and an au50 in the PCGS registry. I'd prefer to have the au55pl coin in a PCGS slab (assuming it meets the criteria). I don't want to cross it though, because in a PCGS slab it loses its pl designation, and thus does not qualify for the NGC registry. As a result, on many tough dates I end up owning two coins, one in an NGC holder that is aupl, and a duplicate au in a PCGS slab. If I could get the coins in aupl at PCGS, I could sell my duplicates and set my sights on an 1893-s in, say, 62pl.

By not having an aupl option, PCGS is giving that market to NGC, and while it may not be a lot, NGC has at least 20 active pl sets registered, and according to their rules, 100% of the coins must be pl or dmpl, so there are a good number of tough dates that end up getting filled by an au coin.

I be happy to break-in the new service with about 30 submissions.

Does the idea of this new service have any appeal?
I brake for ear bars.

Comments