Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Court ruling coming soon about feedback and scams on ebay

Comments

• Options
    ebay and paypal are getting out of hand with these new fees, its pretty pathetic i sold a '85 common card for $2.00 and paypal took .34 for just putting the money in my account. the greed of these companies is out of hand
  • Options
    The counter argument is this: You couldn't have sold that 85 common without ebay and if you didn't want to offer paypal for the convenience then don't and ask someone to pay you $2 via check or money order.
  • Options
    AxtellAxtell Posts: 10,037 ✭✭
    You don't have to use paypal or ebay...the convenience fees means you sell something you probably wouldn't have sold it otherwise.

It always makes me laugh when someone complains about a fee that is completely avoidable. Don't like the fee structure? Sell it elsewhere...don't use the service.

These are privately owned companies that are in the business of making a profit. Allowing the government to step in is seriously infringing on their rights as business owners to set fees that they want.
  • Options
    EagleEyeKidEagleEyeKid Posts: 4,496 ✭✭
    Well put Axtell.
    I used to sell in the Recycler newspaper...free ad....liked it....
    Psychos showed up at my house....didn't like it.....
    I used to do shows....$40 a pop to set up....didn't like it.
    Found Ebay....like the convenience....
    Found a-holes on Ebay....didn't like it.
    Found Paypal....liked getting paid fast....chargebacks...didn't like it.

Yard sale this weekend.....all board members welcome.

My Auctions! Need $ for Vegasimage
  • Options
    Well, I dont like the way the fees keep increasing, but as long as people keep paying them, the will keep going up.

I does seem wrong that ebay gets a double hit on everything with the PayPal service.

But I rarely bid on items that dont accept paypal. I wont send a check (even in the rare case that someone would take it) because it opens you to identity theft and exposes too much info on me. Thus, I either have to waste my time to get a money order or use PayPal. So I use it. I would have to really want something to go for a MO.

Plus, I feel a bit safer using PayPal - if I get screwed for a large amount, even though PayPal's customer service is not great, I can protest the charge through my Credit Card company, and my experience with them is all positive.
    I am looking for Nolan Ryan cards, esp. OPC and rare oddball issues, graded or not. Also I need quite a few 1956 Topps, PSA 6 or higher

Current Sets in Progress:
    1956 Topps Master Set PSA 6 or better
    1978 Topps PSA 9 or 10
    1981 Donruss Golf PSA 9 or 10
    1989 Upper Deck PSA 9 or 10
    Nolan Ryan Master Set
    Pete Rose Master Set
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    These are privately owned companies

no they aint, ebay is listed on the stock exchange

i agree though if you dislike the fee dont use it
    Good for you.
  • Options
    Tinas:
    What did paypal charge you for? 17% sounds very high.
  • Options
    handymanhandyman Posts: 5,247 ✭✭✭✭✭
    what about the person who has to send you a check and PSAY .37 to mail it? When the paypal fee was only .34. So what is the argument now?
  • Options

<< <i>Tinas:
    What did paypal charge you for? 17% sounds very high. >>

The fee is 30 cents per transaction and then 2.9% after that (maybe 1.9), that is where the 34 cents comes in. Those are the fees for a business account, if you have a personal account the fees are waived but you can't accept credit card payments and there is a limit of how much you can take in each month, if you have any other questions shoot me a PM.
  • Options
    A761506A761506 Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭
    Ok... none of these previous posts are really about the initial subject, which is basically that if the CA supreme court rules in favor of this guy who bought some junk magazines and had a dispute with the seller, who then called him dihonest, then eBay is going to be forced to start policing their users and auctions to eliminate all the scammers, feedback slanderers and morons. What this is going to do is likely cause an increase in fees because eBay will have more costs involved in the auction process, and ultimately, thousands fewer listings once they cleanse the site of unsavory people.

I really do think that the court finding in favor of this guy would be a good step towards the long-term viability of online person-to-person commerce. As more and more people become victims of scams on eBay, more and more people disappear. Buyers are the people who truly drive eBay, and they are losing them daily due to deals gone bad because the seller is an idiot of some sort, however, there are plenty of shady buyers as well that would ultimately have to be eliminated. eBay would likely have to develop rules to restrict new accounts unless a set of steps are taken. They will need to collect more information in order for someone to open an account, thus making it more difficult for anyone to just jump on there, create a new account, and have a $50K item that doesn't exist being offered for $5K the next day. They will also need to develop some type of accountability system for their sellers & buyers, somehow make sure items being offered and being delivered are legitimate, and the sellers aren't about to try to pull tricks once it gets delivered. Short term, it would be a devastating blow to eBay, but in the end, it will wind up being the standard for any type of on-line trading.
  • Options

<< <i>Ok... none of these previous posts are really about the initial subject, which is basically that if the CA supreme court rules in favor of this guy who bought some junk magazines and had a dispute with the seller, who then called him dihonest, then eBay is going to be forced to start policing their users and auctions to eliminate all the scammers, feedback slanderers and morons. What this is going to do is likely cause an increase in fees because eBay will have more costs involved in the auction process, and ultimately, thousands fewer listings once they cleanse the site of unsavory people.

I really do think that the court finding in favor of this guy would be a good step towards the long-term viability of online person-to-person commerce. As more and more people become victims of scams on eBay, more and more people disappear. Buyers are the people who truly drive eBay, and they are losing them daily due to deals gone bad because the seller is an idiot of some sort, however, there are plenty of shady buyers as well that would ultimately have to be eliminated. eBay would likely have to develop rules to restrict new accounts unless a set of steps are taken. They will need to collect more information in order for someone to open an account, thus making it more difficult for anyone to just jump on there, create a new account, and have a $50K item that doesn't exist being offered for $5K the next day. They will also need to develop some type of accountability system for their sellers & buyers, somehow make sure items being offered and being delivered are legitimate, and the sellers aren't about to try to pull tricks once it gets delivered. Short term, it would be a devastating blow to eBay, but in the end, it will wind up being the standard for any type of on-line trading. >>

Is the long-term viability of P2P commerce really in doubt?

Seriously, if the court rules in favour of this idiot, who didn't bother to do his due dilligence before placing his bid, then I can really see myself spending a lot LESS time and money on eBay. I've always been very careful to ask all pertinent questions about an item BEFORE I bid, never once being scammed, and I don't feel like paying extra money in support costs to cover the stupidity of others who can't be bothered to be so thorough.
  • Options
    blah blah blah blah blah. this ebay / paypal are a ripoff argument is really getting tired. it is stupid. they can charge what ever they want. they are private businesses. you can choose to use them or not, but do not sit around an complain like they owe you something for nothing. (that makes you sound like a freakin democrat with your hand out for welfare).
  • Options
    Well put, Long Ball.
  • Options
    packCollectorpackCollector Posts: 2,786 ✭✭✭
    longball = my new best friend!
  • Options
    dtkk49adtkk49a Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭
    Everyone needs to remember that Ebay is partial to sellers. They make thier money from sellers, not bidders.
    A good examle of this is the way they display feedback. They do not let you go directly to a sellers negative feedback. You have to page through pages of feedback just to look at someone's negatives. Also, did you ever try to report a seller for not delivering a item ? They don't make it easy to file a complaint. And you have to wait 30 days before you can file a fraud claim !

Ebay is afraid to piss off sellers. The know who butters thier bread. Obviously, we all need to be careful who we deal with. This is the main reason I LOVE this forum. I have gleaned so much information about scams and scammers.
    Follow me - Cards_and_Coins on Instagram

They call me "Pack the Ripper"
  • Options
    To be honest, I don't mind Ebay or PayPal fees much at all (yes, for those of you who just HAVE to look image I'm mostly a buyer, but don't tell me sellers don't recoup some of those fees with inflated S&H, which again I don't really mind as long as it's not too out of hand). However, Ebay's bias toward sellers is a more than a bit misplaced; after all, if there were no buyers, there would be no sellers either. Maybe this court ruling would tilt the scales of justice into a slightly more balanced position; the fees (and thus S&H charges) would be higher.
    Kobe Who? image At least Dwyane pays proper respect to Da Big Aristotle image

Yes, I collect shiny modern crap image

All your Shaq are belong to me image