Home PSA Set Registry Forum

Player Basic Set Question

Are their supposed to be Diamond kings, Leaf Cards, Glossy, etc.... In the Basic Set? I thought all of these were supposed to be in the Master Set?

Player collectors please advise.

Just curious for the Carlton Fisk Set I am building.

Thanks,

Glen

Comments

• mikeschmidtmikeschmidt Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭
    Glen,

Generally, no
    I am actively buying MIKE SCHMIDT gem mint baseball cards. Also looking for any 19th century cabinets of Philadephia Nationals. Please PM with additional details.
  • CON40CON40 Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭
    Glen;

For the most part, the Basic Set just includes the main brand release from each company from each season during a player's active career (Topps, Bowman, Donruss, Leaf (US), Fleer, Score, Upper Deck, etc.).
    And just the "main" card within that main brand release. So, Highlights, Record Breakers, All-Star, Diamond Kings, and League Leaders cards all should be excluded from the basic set.
    I am actively buying MIKE SCHMIDT gem mint baseball cards. Also looking for any 19th century cabinets of Philadephia Nationals. Please PM with additional details.
  • Glen,

As far as Leaf cards go, I would include those from 1990-up because they were no longer just clones of their Donruss counterparts. Like Marc said though only the base player card not checklists, leaders, or highlights.

Scott J.
  • Thanks all, Looks like I need to submitt some changes then. If you looked at the Fisk Basic set, it has Diamond Kings, Glosseys, etc. It is also missing some cards. I believe I have to wait until after the registry awards to submitt for changes, right?

Does anyone know when they will begin to accept changes again?

Thanks all,

Glen
    You can submit them anytime and Gayle and her excellent crew will deal with it as time permits. Not before late November, at the earliest.

FWIW - there really isn't much play on the Basic Set - so I can't imagine too many people caring, which is why this was never done before. There's only one player, I think, on the Basic Set that is even over 10%. So probably has been un-addressed as something being de minimus. I would also suggest that the SSPC does not belong in the basic set.

As to adding more to the basic set - PSA generally likes you to have a PSA certification number before they would add something to that set, so keep that in mind. If you don't have one to register - don't spend too much time harassing PSA to add it...
  • NickMNickM Posts: 4,896 ✭✭✭
    I agree that a SSPC card does not belong in the basic set.

I would also exclude subset cards (Diamond Kings, All-Stars, Record Breakers, etc.) generally from the basic set. However, I think there should possibly be an exception if the player did not have a regular card that year, but only showed up in one of those cards (e.g., '78 Brooks Robinson, '67 Sandy Koufax).

Nick
    Reap the whirlwind.

Need to buy something for the wife or girlfriend? Check out Vintage Designer Clothing.