Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

All the Barbers in MS and Proof for sale at FUN

The most complete set of Barber halves, quarters and dimes in both mint state and proof will be auctioned by Heritage at the FUN show in January.

The John Hugon collection is now advertised in the latest edition of Coin World--4 pages of images and grades of the highest order, including Proof 69 quarters, even a MS 69 half. The 1906-S graded by NGC is the only Barber half to reach that exalted status.

I can assure all that this group of coins is the nicest I have ever viewed. Be sure to see them, in person, on the Heritage web site(not til December) or in the catalog.

A complete set of MS and Proof Barbers in Gem to Superb Gem. What else can one say other than WOW !!!!
TahoeDale

Comments

• Options
    michaelmichael Posts: 9,524 ✭✭
    what does the ms barber quarter 1901-p grade at ? whose holder is it in?? is it white or toned?

how about the 1893 barber dime in ms? waht grade and whose holder? white or toned?

michael
  • Options
    STEWARTBLAYNUMISSTEWARTBLAYNUMIS Posts: 2,697 ✭✭✭✭
    Dale

When did you view these coins? I'm jealous and I bet Laura USE to be jealous.Seems as though she is into ms 68 red Lincolns lately.She has even referred to me concerning Lincolns as Lord Master Stewart image

Stewart
  • Options
    TahoeDaleTahoeDale Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭
    Stewart,

John and I met in Dallas in 2000(about), and we looked at each of our Barber halves. He also had the quarters with him. I have not seen the dimes.

I want to get into the IHC. Have any suggestions?

What is the 1864 copper nickel in Pr 67 worth? Heritage auction in Palm Beach.

Michael,

!901-S is a PCGS 67, original toned. I have not seen the dimes.
    TahoeDale
  • Options
    Dale

IHC ......my,your branching out.The proof 67 1864 is a gorgeous coin worth well over 50k.
    Be careful as that "chunnky" girl from New Jersey wants it !!!

Stewart

ps where is alll this money coming from to buy these coins ????
  • Options
    saintgurusaintguru Posts: 7,724 ✭✭✭
    Stewart....OOOOOOOOOOH!! A shot across the bow !!??image

I think there is only one "N" in chunky, though?
  • Options
    Stewart,

That was my 1909-S you recently bought. And I have a 14-D in 66, and 26-S too. But my 25-D is not for sale. Any interest in the others?

Seriously, you need to step up and get in to the Barber halves. then I won't need to sell any of my gold.

For all the serious Barber collectors, the results from the Pryor, Eliasberg and Price collections show that the Barber halves will continue to rise in price, even when big dollars are paid at the time.

Hammer on the 1892-0 micro in 1997 was $54,000. On the 1904-S. $42,000.

In 1998, a 1904-S brought $75,000. The micro-o was sold in 03 for over 125,000.

And the prices paid for almost all the better dates have risen substantially. But remember, these coins are all pq, original. A good way to buy coins for the long run.
    TahoeDale
  • Options
    DrPeteDrPete Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭
    This is an incredible group of coins for sale. I have not had the pleasure of viewing any of these in person, but will do so prior to the auction. Mr Hugon has assembled an incredible group of mint state and proof barber coins for the dimes, quarters, and halves. In that regard it is more complete than Eliasberg (no business strike Philadelphia coins, proof instead), and only the Thaine Price collection of Barber halves in mint state and proof (all Philadelphia business strikes were present) comes close, but he did not have the quarters or dimes.

All in all, the whole run is around 300 coins that should bring multiple millions of dollars at the FUN auction. I can't wait to see the coins on line and in the catalog. I expect the catalog to be a major work that will be important to Barber collectors for years to come. It will reside in my library next to other great auctions of barber coins like Price, Eliasberg, Norweb, Emery-Nichols, and Pryor.
    Dr. Pete
  • Options
    saintgurusaintguru Posts: 7,724 ✭✭✭
    TAHOE DALE/DR.PETE...What's the dilly-o with the matching obscure logos?? I'm sooooo confuuuused!image
  • Options
    JB,

The icon I use is the reverse of my 1892-O micro O half dollar, PCGS MS63. When my friend Dale joined the boards he asked if he could use the same one. He happens to own the granddaddy of all barber halves, the Eliasberg 1892-O micro O in MS68. I am honored he is currently using the icon I scanned from my coin. I does tend to look a bit odd when we both respond to the same threads.
    Dr. Pete
  • Options
    Stewart:

That 1867 PROOF only went for $22,425. Either someone got a great deal or it was yours and your were trying to market it??? Which is it?? Dodnt go for anything near $50K!!!!
    The Accumulator - Dark Lloyd of the Sith

• Options
    Lloyd,

The IHC Stewart was pumping was the 1864 copper nickel in Pr 67 just auctioned. 22,000 was a good price, and 50,000 was a dream of Stewart's. He has a lot of dreams
    TahoeDale
  • Options

Hey Tahoe Dale and Lloyd mincy - I am referring to an 1864 bronze in proof 67 red.I have no idea what you guys are talking about and I don't own any of these proof coins.

Stewart
  • Options
    Stewart,

I thought you might be refering to the bronze, not the copper nickel in Pr 67 I asked about. The 50,000 estimate was too high for the CN but probably not for the Bronze in full red.

dale
    TahoeDale
  • Options
    SethChandlerSethChandler Posts: 1,697 ✭✭✭✭
    An MS69 Barber Half. That's some coin! I wonder what it would go for? It must be a USmint/Clapp/Eliasberg coin.

Seth
    Collecting since 1976.
  • Options
    I've done an unaudited average of the mint state barber halves for sale in the Heritage Auction of the Hugon set. Keep in mind this is a raw average and coins reside in both NGC and PCGS holders. The average is 66.41 and comes in just shy of the listing of Steve Duckor's set -- the number one PCGS registry set. The PCGS set only allows PCGS-graded coins and has weighting of coins based on their relative rarities.

Thus, the Hugon set of mint state barber halves is nearly tied with the Duckor set for the finest certified mint state set ever completed and has all coins in at least gem MS 65 including the fabulously rare 1892-O micro O coin.

To my knowledge, the only three complete mint state Barber Half dollar sets ever completed in MS 65 or better are: Steve Duckor, Dale Friend, and John Hugon. Elisaberg came close but his Philadelphia coins were all proof coins.

I am looking forward with great anticipation to this auction.
    Dr. Pete
  • Options
    tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,147 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Stewart: she calls me much worse... image
  • Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mr. Hugon (like so many others) received one too many letters from Greg Rohan suggesting that this was the time to take advantage of the hot market. How many of these letters can one man take? I know I'm almost at the breaking point too. One more letter, and I'm consigning everything too.image

roadrunner
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • Options
    I'm sorry, but this has been so entertaining, I have sacrificed going HOME!!!! Stewart, you are making me laugh so hard. The head games are hilarious.

What kills me is, you all (I'm NOT southern) are positioning yourselves for a coin set that I am still not sure if the Barber head is a MAN OR A WOMAN!!! Having said that, I think all of you should stay away from barbers - I've heard the Transvestite community thinks the Barber dimes are the "cutest coins ever to come out of the U.S. Mint, and represents our struggles."

Maybe NO ONE SHOULD BID THEM, and let Hugon's coins reach NO reserves, then he will panic, and fire sale them. THAT'S what you all should DO!!!!!

• Options
    Rohan makes little cash when everyone sits on their sets.

• Options
    tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,147 ✭✭✭✭✭
    if this collector does decide to play, YOU and Mr. LAW WILL look like chimps sitting on your hands!

Well, except for the occasional coin he loses out on to the trailer nomads.... image
  • Options
    Only 8 days and counting for the Hugon coins to be auctioned.

Many of the coins already have sizeable bids, but will go much, much higher.
    Dr. Pete
  • Options

Dr. Pete - Are you getting anxious ?

LMS
  • Options
    Stewart,

First, I enjoy the public/pubic teasing/bantering between you and Laura and appreciate it for what it is. It gives me the occasional belly laugh.

I'm not sure I'd admit to being anxious, but I await the auction with joyful anticipation as it affects me in different ways. I'd love to be there to see any sort of further teasing in person between you and Laura, but I can't be there. Don't need to see anyone's underwear, orange or other color. I hope to pick up a coin or two through an agent and when all the dust is settled, the prices realized from this auction will go a long way toward establishing values for barber coins in MS 65-68 like no other venue could. As such, some of my holdings will likely appreciate, a situation clearly to my liking.
    Dr. Pete