Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

I won't bid against a zero feedback bidder.

I won't bid against a zero feedback bidder.

I was one once and loved the feel of the bit in my teeth, the internet connectedness of it all-bidding against people from all over the world for something we all wanted-who wanted it most? Me of course; them of course... So, all this can result in very high prices.image

I don't have a ton of E-Bay purchases, somewhere in the mid-30's but I have the benefit of the savvy demonstarated by forum members who have gone before, who have suffered the slings and outrages of unreasonable bidding. I thank you for the tips, we all thank you for the tips...

I was browsing E-Bay in French coins when I came upon a 1976 FDC proof set at about $12.00 with only about six hours to go! Checked the pics, snorted in disbelief and immediately bid it up a little, only a few dollars.

Then Pandou48 came in and had to bid three times to get it to $18.00 but Boudot had a higher bid in at $25.00. Corin26 came in and stole it for $0.66 higher and then comes Trinite56 with his halo newbie icon and punches it twice to $30. Ah, I says, there's me-wants it bad.

Mushushizou tentively edges him to $31 plus and Trinite56 comes back at $32 even. Now I need this set-I was outbid on one of Ajaan's auctions recently through inattention but I won't bid against this newbie-they are all estrogen or testosterone, as the case may be and frequently exceed reasonable limits.

The more I use E-Bay, the more I realize that rarely is anything unique-it'll come around again... and in the knowing comes the desire for theft, that late wednesday close when everyone is sleeping and I can grab it for less. image

One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics
is that you end up being governed by inferiors. – Plato

Comments

• Options
    ajaanajaan Posts: 17,126 ✭✭✭✭✭
    FYI, the set I had sold for $35.50 and went to Germany.

I see you point about getting into a bidding war with a newbie. I'll bid against a zero feedback bidder, but I won't get into a bidding war with one.

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options
    I don't see many zero feedback bidders in the auctions I go for, but if I did all I would think was "shill" and back out from any war. I always seem to be edged out by snipers these days though.

Dr J
  • Options
    that newbie may also, at times, be a shill. image
    Terry

eBay Store

DPOTD Jan 2005, Meet the Darksiders
  • Options
    Spinaker hit it on the head, for me.
    I usually smell shill when I see a zero-feedback bidder.
    Also, "immediately bid it up a little" is a mistake in my book, unless you are just trying to help out the seller. Otherwise, snipe.
    -john
    Wanted: High grade Irish (Republic of Ireland, not Northern Ireland or British) coins, slabbed and unslabbed. Also looking for Proof and Uncirculated Sets
    PM with info.

Auction Sniper For all your sniping needs. Tell them I sent you and I'll get three free snipes!

e-bay ID= 29john29
  • Options
    ajaanajaan Posts: 17,126 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Why should spinaker be hit on the head??????

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options
    If I wanted the item I'd just snipe his arse.image
    Bill

09/07/2006
  • Options
    I can just hear that coin shouting "Snipe me, snipe me, snipe me."image
    Roy

• Options
    AethelredAethelred Posts: 9,288 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Why should spinaker be hit on the head?????? >>

A good hit on the head every now and then helps keep Spinaker humble.
    If you are in the Western North Carolina area, please consider visiting our coin shop:

WNC Coins, LLC
    1987-C Hendersonville Road
    Asheville, NC 28803

wnccoins.com
  • Options
    Terry

eBay Store

DPOTD Jan 2005, Meet the Darksiders
  • Options
    AethelredAethelred Posts: 9,288 ✭✭✭
    WACK!
    If you are in the Western North Carolina area, please consider visiting our coin shop:

WNC Coins, LLC
    1987-C Hendersonville Road
    Asheville, NC 28803

wnccoins.com
  • Options

<< <i>Why should spinaker be hit on the head?????? >>

Because he called me a shill image

Actually, no, I have a feedback of +1 image
    4 765 of 50 971 (9.35%) complete image

First DAMMIT BOY! 25/9/05 (Finally!)

" XpipedreamR is cool because you can get a bottle of 500 for like a dollar. " - Aspirin

• Options
    This gives me an idea.........
  • Options
    Steve27Steve27 Posts: 13,274 ✭✭✭
    " I won't bid against a zero feedback bidder."

I never know who I'm bidding against; I just set up the snipe and check it the next day. Some times I win and some times I lose.
    "It's far easier to fight for principles, than to live up to them." Adlai Stevenson