Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

Someone made a 1953-S MS-65FS Jefferson 5c

Just finished my weekly perusal of the population reports and noticed that a 53-S Jeff has been
graded MS-65FS by PCGS. Alright, who did it?

Comments

• Options
    dbldie55dbldie55 Posts: 7,719 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It was bound to happen. Be interesting to see where it shows up.
    Collector and Researcher of Liberty Head Nickels. ANA LM-6053
  • Options
    mnmcoinmnmcoin Posts: 2,165

<< <i>Just finished my weekly perusal of the population reports and noticed that a 53-S Jeff has been
    graded MS-65FS by PCGS. Alright, who did it? >>

Who cares who made it...I wonder how much it will sell for? I mean that is a monster coin, I personally can't believe one was made. That is the king of the series in gem FS!

Any ideas?

morris <><
    "Repent, for the kindom of heaven is at hand."
    ** I would take a shack on the Rock over a castle in the sand !! **
    Don't take life so seriously...nobody gets out alive.

ALL VALLEY COIN AND JEWELRY
    28480 B OLD TOWN FRONT ST
    TEMECULA, CA 92590
    (951) 757-0334

www.allvalleycoinandjewelry.com
  • Options
    Morris- I completely disagree with you about this date being the king of the series in gem FS. As tough as this date is, it does not hold a candle to a handful of dates in the sixties. 1960-D,1961-D,1965, 1966, 1967, 1968-D, 1969-D, and 1969-S are all much tougher coins in FS than the 53-S.
    David Schweitz
  • Options
    dbldie55dbldie55 Posts: 7,719 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Has anyone examined multiple examples of this date? I wonder if they are from the same die, or multiple dies. You have to believe most of these were without steps as struck, so it would be interesting to try and find out how many die-pairs can be found that produced the FS coins that do exist.
    Collector and Researcher of Liberty Head Nickels. ANA LM-6053
  • Options
    mnmcoinmnmcoin Posts: 2,165

<< <i>Morris- I completely disagree with you about this date being the king of the series in gem FS. As tough as this date is, it does not hold a candle to a handful of dates in the sixties. 1960-D,1961-D,1965, 1966, 1967, 1968-D, 1969-D, and 1969-S are all much tougher coins in FS than the 53-S. >>

Oh, I don't doubt that those other dates are tougher to find in full steps, but I certainly believe that the 53s is a much more recognizable date as well as perhaps a more popular date.

Most of those other dates probably will never be found in this condition. (The 65 and 66 lone examples were probably sms coins, imho)

morris <><

TEMECULA, CA 92590
    (951) 757-0334

• Options
    stephunterstephunter Posts: 2,324 ✭✭✭
    Congratulations to whomever made that coin. I have seen about 4-5 of these come up for auction in the last year (ms-64's of course), but have not seen but one 1953. I think the 53 is as rare, if not more rare than the 53-S, like the other dates that were previously mentioned.
  • Options
    haletjhaletj Posts: 2,192
    I bet an ms65fs 53-s is a nicer looking coin than any of the tougher FS coins from the 60's. I didn't see the 65fs 61-d in person, but I am not impressed by it at all in the image B+M had.
  • Options
    wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,684 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The 61(d) nickel in PCGS-MS65FS is a SENSATIONAL COIN. Hands down the coolest nickel from the Nevdaman former collection IMHO. Both myself and MS68 (Dave) were exeedingly interested in the buying the coin from the very day the coin (and the entire collection for that matter) was presented to MS68 in (what I am told was) the ANACS-MS66FS holder (years ago). The only question MS68 had from the outset was whether the coin would cross evenly to PCGS-MS66FS. I will personally recommend the coin go in for upgrade along with the entire 1938-64 Jeff collection at some point in the future.

Wondercoin
    Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • Options
    haletjhaletj Posts: 2,192
    I guess I would have needed to see it in person. I've yet to see 60-d,61-d, or 62-d nickel FS or not that has nice luster. They just weren't made to have luster like a 39-d say.
  • Options
    rayovacrayovac Posts: 192 ✭✭
    Morris,

The lone 1965 PCGS MS65FS Jefferson nickel is not a mislabeled sms coin. I can't speak for the 1966 PCGS MS65FS Jefferson nickel as I have never seen it.

Ray Overby
    CS 65-Present FS Jefferson nickel set at myurl
    RayOverby
  • Options
    wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,684 ✭✭✭✭✭
    "I can't speak for the 1966 PCGS MS65FS Jefferson nickel as I have never seen it."

Ray - The 1966 is a fabulous MINT STATE specimen.

Wondercoin
    Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • Options
    All this hullabaloo and still nobody has ventured to say what they think the coin is worth.

morris <><

TEMECULA, CA 92590
    (951) 757-0334

• Options
    I sure would like to see that 53-S too.

As to the 65/66/67 nickels why quibble about whether they are
    or they aren't SMS or mint state?

Why not just slab the SMS as part of the full step set?
    They do exist in full step. They are scarce, but are collectible.
    As oppposed to the mint state coins which are XTREMELY RARE
    to non-existant in full step.
    They fit nicely in an unc. set.
    The 67 even is seen in six step in about 1 of 1000 SMS sets.

Would provide PCGS with another revenue stream, so why not?

Regards, Steve.
  • Options
    stephunterstephunter Posts: 2,324 ✭✭✭
    A bump to try and get someone to fess up to who did it.
  • Options
    seanqseanq Posts: 8,575 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not quite the same level of accomplishment, but I just made a 1953-D in MS65FS, the grade posted today. Pictures and an interesting discussion of the coin and FS nickels in general can be found in this thread.

Sean Reynolds
    Incomplete planchets wanted, especially Lincoln Cents & type coins.

"Keep in mind that most of what passes as numismatic information is no more than tested opinion at best, and marketing blather at worst. However, I try to choose my words carefully, since I know that you guys are always watching." - Joe O'Connor
  • Options
    MJPHELANMJPHELAN Posts: 760 ✭✭✭
    I wonder if Leo crossed his 53-S?
    Mark