Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Is a PSA Screw-up a good deal or what?

I just picked up this gem for $12. I live down the road from PSA. Maybe they will re-plank the thing for the good will. Whadda ya think?

Comments

• Options
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    Good for you.
  • Options
    MorrellManMorrellMan Posts: 3,238 ✭✭✭
    When you are posting a message, click on "Attach File(s)" under the message text screen. When the upload box appears, click on "Browse..." and select your picture. Then click on the "Upload File" button at the top right of the upload box. Once it's uploaded, highlight it and click on "View File". When the file appears, copy the address, return to your message screen, click on the fourth icon from the left (it looks like a framed picture of a mountain). Paste in the address and click okay.

If you just want to post a link to the picture, instead of clicking on "View File" in the upload box, simply click "Attach File" and it'll automatically attach a link in your message.

Edited to add: Here's a helpful thread for posting pics! Good luck.
    Mark (amerbbcards)

"All evil needs to triumph is for good men to do nothing."
  • Options
  • Options
    Aha!!! As you can see, PSA has labeled this 1986 Fleer sticker as a 1987. I got the card and shipping for a little more than $12. Apparently there is no value in PSA error cards. Should I drive up to PSA and have it replanked, or should I do something else? I'm curious what you folks think. It is definitely going on a board somewhere.
  • Options
    jrdolanjrdolan Posts: 2,549 ✭✭
    Well, the stain (ST) qualifier is why you got it for $12. Sure, PSA will fix its mistake, if it is indeed a mistake.
  • Options
    Why do you question the error? The card is obviously a 86, and in my experience, a PSA 9 with a stain still commands higher values than this did.
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,355 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here is a PSA 8 86F Bird Sticker:

It would be hard to attach any premium to a mislabelled flip IMO.
    your friend
    Mike
    Mike
  • Options
    I agree there is no premium attached to the card...neither was there a great deal of quality control when the card was graded. I have had PSA replank chrome cards that were graded PSA-9 and had fingerprints clearly visible through the holder. One would think a second person would give the completed card a look-see just to make sure the labels are correct. Woudn't you agree?
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    nope no premium for that...........i think u may have gotten it so cheap cuz others were not so keen as you were. seeing it as an 87 which is prolly worth around what u paid.......the ST turned many off im sure as well. The stain though on that card/sticker if i remm was not that bad as it was wax on a basically semi gloss paper which was easily removable and did not detract from the cards eye appeal.
    Good for you.
  • Options

<< <i>nope no premium for that...........i think u may have gotten it so cheap cuz others were not so keen as you were. seeing it as an 87 which is prolly worth around what u paid.......the ST turned many off im sure as well. The stain though on that card/sticker if i remm was not that bad as it was wax on a basically semi gloss paper which was easily removable and did not detract from the cards eye appeal. >>

I agree with your assessment. I thought the card was a pretty good bargain. Most 86 stickers had the ST qualifier, and most collectors understand that. A sticker with no qualifier and a 9-10 rating is a terrific card, and a 9 with a ST is still a great card. Most of the stickers had the ST qualifier that year. I'll drive it up to Costa Mesa and have them replank the card.

PSA really does do a terrific job considering the amount of stuff they are asked to grade. It is a definite plus for those of us lucky enough to be able to drop off cards and get them back real soon with no postage charges. That said, it is too tempting to have marginal cards graded, and a PSA-7 of anything modern will be lucky just to recoup the $8 plank charge, the cost of the e-Bay ad, and the shipping in the final auction sale.

• Options
    NickMNickM Posts: 4,896 ✭✭✭
    You can either take it in to their offices for a mechanical error reslabbing, or drop it off at their table at a show (most likely the Hollywood Park show).

Nick
    Reap the whirlwind.

Need to buy something for the wife or girlfriend? Check out Vintage Designer Clothing.